z

Young Writers Society

Atlantis is Rising

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:26 am
Alteran says...

Well. I'm trying a hand at 3d animation and the first thing i'm doing is creating a few scenes from my novels. I started the tower. At least the outside shell. I'll make seperate settings for inside. It came out better than the first one I made. When it's finished it'll have the lift shaft, and the outside plaze with trees and benches and stuff.

"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:45 am
yoha_ahoy says...

It looks like a sand castle or a really nifty unforsted cake, but its cool. ^_^
~Yoyo
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:51 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I can't really critique it since it's not finished yet.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:09 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Like a big, vanilla unfrosted cake.

...I liiiiiiiiiiiike it :D I'm just wondering...if this is Atlantis, something I've always been interested in, being under water and all...how do you have trees underwater???

~Sumi :mrgreen:
ohmeohmy

647 Reviews

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:04 am
Alteran says...

Simple

In my novels, Atlantis was an Island before the Bad guys got to powerful. Then it was ripped out of the ground and moved into the Indian Ocean and the tower (That one) generates a powerful mental shield around the Island allowing it to be underwater.

Also, The Greek gods are the Elders so Apollo generates sunlight and an illusion of a normal sky is produced so people don't see the ocean all the time.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:01 am
Jennafina says...

It looks like a rocket! On a plate. Jk. :)

I like the second picture, with all the windows. It's cool how they aren't all in a line. The randomness makes it pretty.

The blue background is really boring, though. Maybe you could add to it? If it's a sky, there could be clouds, or at least different shades of blue.

Thanks for posting!

Jenna
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:56 pm
Meep says...

Your pattens are stretching! :oops: (I did a semester of 3D Studio, I had that problem a lot.) Try using textures made specially for 3DS Max if you can, they usually don't stretch quite as bad. Using random images from Google doesn't always work. (I'm not saying that's what you did, just a helpful tip for in general.)

I'm not really sure what's up with the second one: are those supposed to be windows? (If so, try making the tower hollow by recreating it with a tube instead of a cylendar, and then boolean out the windows, or if you're feeling really ambitious, EditMesh or EditPoly and move each point to create low-poly windows.)

Also, there is a way to make the lighting appear as if it's underwater. I can't remember how, exactly, but maybe try doing that?

Good luck with 3D Studio. I had the hardest time in that class.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:48 am
Sponson Light says...

Stretching occurs when you unwrap the model unevenly.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

647 Reviews

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:15 am
Alteran says...

Well First Im useing Milkshape 3d Cause i dont have some odd hundred dollars lying around. And the Textures is supposed to be golden so i unsphered the texture to it moves with the camera giving it a shiny gold look.

And i'm not sure about the windows yet. My pieces were to spread out to delete the sectionso you can see through the window.

I'm still working on it though.

210 Reviews

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:29 pm
Meep says...

(Hundreds? 3DS is in the thousands last I knew. Anyway, that's why God invented LimeWire. :wink: I actually don't have it either, I used it at school.)

Is there a more metallic (less stripey/grainy) texture in the program you're using? (I've never heard of it.) If you can edit textures, yellow with a super-high reflection is a good gold. (The current texture reminds me of wheat.)

If you're trying to make the windows see-through, I'd recommend the Edit Poly/Mesh method I mentioned (^) if such a thing is possible with the program you're using.

647 Reviews

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:50 am
Alteran says...

I'ts not possible. All i have is a little tab to adjust a textures trasparency.

I think i should make all the inside sets first and then build the tower around it. It would really increase to size of the tower and give me enough room to make more realisitc details.

Any thoughts?

210 Reviews

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:39 pm
Meep says...

That's a good idea, but it will get super high poly and slow down the computer. It's usually a good idea to use cheat effects, so it looks like there's more there than there actually is.
Creative use of camera angles is one of the best things to learn in 3D modeling. (That's how I passed my class.) Don't try to do everything (unless you're doing an animation); instead, do what you'll see in the render, and render that. Then change things so it looks good from another camera angle, and render that, etc.

647 Reviews

Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:01 am
Alteran says...

I did Zeus' office today. I think I'm gonna raise the ceiling a bit. Also i figured out how to make my textures reflective. There was a tab in MS3D thet let me do it. Anyway, I've only textured a bit of it. (Better than the Tower, yes?)

"Enter," said a deep and powerful voice from beyond the golden door.

Random avatar

Reviews: 87
Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:11 pm
gymnast_789 says...

How awsome! These are all really neat, but I really like the last one! :D

647 Reviews

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:21 am
Alteran says...

Sorry to post so soon. I've textured more of the office. :)

Thanks gymnast. :)

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann