z

Young Writers Society

Fand Does Photography *le gasp!*

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:15 am
Fand says...

So, yes, I've always had an interest in photography but never had an opportunity to try my hand at it. Please keep in mind that I've never had any instruction, and in fact only recieved my camera for Christmas. Any advice, unabashed compliments, or flames (for toasting marshmallows, of course) are more than welcome.

1. Zydeco

2a. Verrazano Sunrise (color)

2b. Verrazano Sunrise (b&w)

3. Verbatim

4. Something's Under My Bed (Portrait: Morgan Tylar Waite)

5. Portrait: Maya Campbell

6. Manhattan and Brooklyn

7. Guild Hall, Wagner College, Staten Island, NY

8. "Give Me The Streets of Manhattan!"

9. Sunset Over Guild Hill
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:34 am
HeadInTheClouds says...

Those pictures are beautiful Fand! I love the one with the Cat.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:37 am
Jennafina says...

Pretty! It looks like you've got a lot of practice, but I guess it must be natural talent, lol. ^_^

My favorite is Zydeco. I like how it's tricky to tell if it's in black and white or not.

It's funny how #2 has a different mood in color or black and white. Color looks cheerful, where black and white looks all smoggy and depressing.

I'm not a huge fan of #3, it looks like it was taken by accident and the hand is out of focus.

I like #4, he looks surprised to have a photo taken of him. :)

Maya is so cute! ^_^ The background is a little boring, though.

6 is pretty, I like the clouds in the sky and how it goes from red to yellow to white to blue.

I think 7 is too busy. It doesn't really seem to have a subject, either.

#8 is also my favorite, after #1. The water is so perfect and the buildings look like they're toys. That's such an amazing view. :)

#9 is pretty, but I don't really like the way the camera is tilted.

Thanks for posting! :D
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:30 am
sabradan says...

Alright Fandilocks. Good job for a first try! For someone who has never taken pictures/instruction or whatever before, these are quite good. I don't like to toot my own horn, but am a relatively good (so I've been told) photographer, and am keeping it open as a possible minor at school. So I know a decent amount about it. So I am going to go through these things here one at a time in order to give you some pointers.

The first one:
This is probably you're best one here. Good use of light and space, (lighting is a major sticking point for beginners) your light source is excellent and is in a good place. Its not too dark, not too light. Its good. The only critique I really have is that the cat seems to me as its almost supposed to be like "framing" to photo on the left side, but its too far into the center. Its not quite centered, not quite framing, and honestly, it bugs me. I'm not sure if you're into visual art or not, but there is a concept called "Composition" which is basically how a picture (be it photograph or painiting or anything) is put together. It has to do with uses of light, shadow, positive and negative light as well as other thing. I would just say play around and experiment with composition a bit.
2:
The light source is coming in from the wrong side, and it detracts from the photo. Also, the fact that the railing cuts the space in half is bad for composition. Plus, the light comes in and reminds me of looking into the sun, and its kind of detracting. I feel like I have to squint to look at it, and you don;'t want me to have to squint when I look at your photos. Other than that, its fine.
3: Same as two, only black and white. Black and white photography is tricky,as you have to make sure you have enough/adequate available light, otherwise it will turn out too dark. I think this is a little dark, to be honest.
4:
Again, composition, as well as lighting.
5 and 6:
They're just portraits. Nothing special, nothing to write home about. Try experimenting with composition and light sources.
7:
Too distant, and the sky is way too hazy. Also, like with 2, the composition and light source needs work. But its alright, all things considered.
8:
This would be a GREAT shot if the composition/angle worked was different. Like I said, just practice composition and all that and you'll be turning out GREAT pictures in no time.
9:
Nothing special. Its alright. The glares a little annoying though. What wouldv'e made this pic really cool is if you altered the POV a little and brought it down closer to the waves, etc.
10:
Again, work on the angle, and the lighting/light source. The glare is a little distracting.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:47 am
Myth says...

I love the kitty! And the two pictures of the Verrazano Sunrise, the first one shows the sunset as if it was a low fire and I love how the black-and-white one looks as if there is smog/fog(?) or maybe my eyesight isn't very good.

Nice, Fand :D
.: ₪ :.

'...'

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:38 pm
Elizabeth says...

I have to say this: What's the point of a black and white sunset? ...

THe others were pretty good aside from that foggy b&w sunrise.

I liked the Kitty of course :)

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:26 am
yoha_ahoy says...

These are some great shots Fand! I love the cat. Great composition and contrast. I also really love 2b the B&W sunrise. It reaminds me of an old photograph from the 20's or 30's or something. Especially with the great views of the bridges and the freighter. The only thing I can really tell you to fix in any of them is in 7 and 9. Your horizon lines are crooked. Or at least your rooflines are which makes it feel "off." Otherwise, keep it up! :D Fantastic. ^_^
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:48 am
Riedawriter23 says...

Very beautiful! I never knew you were so good at photographing! *claps for Fand*

-Rieda
I love, love.
*This wonderful crit is brought to you by CCF!*

Random avatar

Reviews: 87
Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:47 am
gymnast_789 says...

These are really good.I love the cat! I also like the 8th one.

Poetry lies its way to the truth.
— John Ciardi