z

Young Writers Society

Sketches

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:44 pm
Kel says...

Here's where I'll shove nameless sketches. Feel free to point out whatever. :) They're totally not finished in any way, but I don't know if I'll go back and change them. Whatever comments on improvement I receive will go toward the next drawing.

disclaimer!
There will be some pictures with mild blood. Oozing and such but no dangling intestines. Some couples WILL be comprised of two boys, these being couples that a friend of mine and I have created. I will put down which character is his and which is mine.

If either of these things bothers you, please just don't look at them.

This is Marqhen (the boy with wings who does not belong to me) and Ryal (who does belong to me) eating popped corn in the fall. Just a sweet image that I felt like doing.

This is also Marqhen and Ryal. Just some little doodles while at work waiting for customers to come in. This was back when I worked at the coffeeshop, probably sometime in September. I like Ryal's little blushing face on the upper right.

This is the last one for now. :) Marqhen and Ryal again! More nameless doodles to get a feel for the characters. I like the sleeping one the best.

Please pardon my bad handwriting!
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:02 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

While I don't appreciate this particular art style anymore, you did a good job in establishing each character's personality via their expressions and body language.

You're a good artist, but I'd just like to say that I've seen this style, and...uh...coupling, seven bajillion times before.

However, your execution and expressions are well done.

Keep it up.

46 Reviews

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:32 pm
Kel says...

Anime/manga does pop up a lot more recently. It's caused a lot of people to dislike it.

As for the coupling, the guy that created Marqhen happens to really be gay. So the coupling is as much for him as for the furthering of the story we're working on with them.

Thank you for your comments! I know how tastes can differ, but it's always great when you can find something in there that you can walk away with that's positive. I appreciate both sets of comments, Waffles. :D
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:32 pm
Black Ghost says...

These were cool! You're a great artist.

46 Reviews

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:37 pm
Kel says...

Thank you, magicman. :) I just draw and take no claim to being an actual artist. I probably won't do anything with it! XD

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:19 pm
Sponson Light says...

Kel wrote:Thank you, magicman. :) I just draw and take no claim to being an actual artist. I probably won't do anything with it! XD

Heh, Id say anyone with an interest in drawing is an artist.

I hate it when people say "hes a good drawer", it sounds like some... FURNITURE.

At anyrate, cute drawings, they make me fuzzy inside. As for manga and anime... Id say try something FRESH. Like Subway, eat fresh. Borders, expand yours.

I have really nothing to say to manga. Except Deathnote rocks.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

46 Reviews

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:01 pm
Kel says...

Thank you, Sponson Light! I've tried all kinds of styles. It's difficult to learn at first, but it gets nicer as the time goes on. Disney interests me right now for their art, but it's hard for me to copy and turn into my own.

When I started drawing anime and manga, it was fresh! Way back in about 1995 or so when I found Ronin Warriors. :) It was fresh until Akira, really. I don't like Akira.

I'll put more stuff up later!

Random avatar

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:11 pm
Sponson Light says...

Kel wrote:Thank you, Sponson Light! I've tried all kinds of styles. It's difficult to learn at first, but it gets nicer as the time goes on. Disney interests me right now for their art, but it's hard for me to copy and turn into my own.

When I started drawing anime and manga, it was fresh! Way back in about 1995 or so when I found Ronin Warriors. :) It was fresh until Akira, really. I don't like Akira.

I'll put more stuff up later!

It was, heh heh. Problem with most people is that they cant draw in another style.

Someone once told me, and I think it holds very true. That a Style is just something to hid a mistake. If mistakes are appearing in your style, more learning is to be required. Now Im not saying youre making huge mistakes.

At any rate, any finished stuff?

Oh snap, BOYZ? They look like girls! I had a problem where my girls looked like guys : /
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:32 pm
Sureal says...

I could tell they were boys. They're rather feminine looking, but that's quite common in anime (well, as far as I'm aware - I don't actually know much about anime). Plus it suits their sexuality ;).

The only thing I don't like about your style is that you've written what they're doing, or how they're feeling.
I wrote the above just for you.

46 Reviews

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:50 pm
View Likes
Kel says...

Ah-haha, Sureal. That was just me being bored at work and I decided to dictate what they were doing and stuff. It was for my amusement. It amused me and still does. :lol:

Sponson Light: Yeah, they're boys! I have that problem all the time. I can draw girls okay, but not boys. :) Sad, really. I keep trying, though, and should do a study. I'm just silly about live nudes.

46 Reviews

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:07 pm
Kel says...

New things. Complete things! :)

I did the Free Hugs campaign at my old workplace and got over 600 hugs in seven days. It was wonderful. This is one of the signs I put up. I had six different signs, and I can put them all up at one time or another, but this one is good for now.

This is a random fairy prince. That's his princess' castle in the distance.

This was sold this month. Watercolor. :)

This is Chance on an egg. It's part of the story he belongs to and has symbolic meaning. :) The title of the comic is "Egg on Your Face".

And my patron Saint, the Little Flower. Watercolor. :)

There's some finished stuff.

Random avatar

Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:50 am
Sponson Light says...

The Patron saint doesnt have an... eyebrow.
She also needs that bridge on her nose.

Her neck is very long, by the way. The head is positioned too high up.

The egg one, thats good. The pose is relaxed and nice. Is that yolk coming out? Doesnt the albumen come out first? Note on the shading, you know better than to shade with just a darker hue. It makes the orange too orange, and the blue too blue, it "bores" the eyes (not something we can control). Try shading the blue with orange and the orange with blue. You'll get crispier and darker shades, providing some thanksgiving food for the eyes.

But yeah, work on your male figure? Its rather frustrating trying to figure out XX or XY.

Gooooood stuff.

46 Reviews

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:10 am
Kel says...

With the saint, it's more about the idea than the actual thing itself. I wanted her face to turn out that way, even without the eyebrow. It would've taken away from what I envisioned her to represent for me.

Yes, that's yolk, and I know that the white comes out first. It's more or less for effect, since white on white isn't the best. And I like cel shading more than traditional shading, which is why I chose what I did in the use of colors. I adore sharp contrast and didn't enjoy the shading section of high school art class.

With Chance, it's meant to be feminine. :lol:

Random avatar

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:12 am
Sponson Light says...

Kel wrote:Yes, that's yolk, and I know that the white comes out first. It's more or less for effect, since white on white isn't the best. And I like cel shading more than traditional shading, which is why I chose what I did in the use of colors. I adore sharp contrast and didn't enjoy the shading section of high school art class.

If you like contrast, blue on orange woulda been the best way to go. Nothing, not even black, gives you more contrast, simply because thats what the light waves dictate, I didnt make this stuff up, it is because it happens to be. It could still be cel shading, this is only affecting hue, not sharpness or anything.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:39 am
Elizabeth says...

great art... but...
... *shrugs* the male on male pictures didn't bother me and I can't judge you but yeah... weird for a married gal. lol

oh to be a cat in a pile of towels
— ChesTacos