z

Young Writers Society

An open door

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:12 pm
serenityinthesky says...

So what do you think of this? I might submit it to somethng. Maybe my photography class next semester, but I would appriciate some feedback.
I took it in FL at a timeshare unit my family was at. I feel it has a sort of destiny to it. However, I might do some tweaking of the lighting. Unless, you think the darkness serves justice to the picture.
Last edited by serenityinthesky on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Via says...

It's pretty. Solid photo-journalistic abilities. But it's a little fuzzy...maybe it's the film, or it was a little out of focus.

Other than what I see, I know nothing about actually taking a picture [my best picture was an accident] but that's just my thoughts!

Meg
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

14 Reviews

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:19 pm
serenityinthesky says...

Thanks.
I took the picture with a ghetto palm pilot camera. Not the best. Which I why I'm going to sharpen the image before I submit it.
:D

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:22 pm
yoha_ahoy says...

Yes, very good composition. Sharpen it and I would lighten it some. Not a lot. But nice. :)
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:37 pm
Empress Kat says...

It's very nice. The table is a little bussy. Unless that's your focus, you should clear that stuff out of your way. But I love how it's so orange. Very warm feeling.
Plan B is always "Die Trying."

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:16 am
Jennafina says...

I think it would be cool if you showed more of the wall the door's in. Since that appears to be in shadow, it would make the scene through the door really stand out in its warmness.

I like the stripey spots of light made by the railing especially.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:03 am
Kel says...

I like how it's off-center. The table being busy makes me think that it might be the center of the image, but then I cant' really find the center of the image. It's what makes it fun to look at.
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:50 pm
Myth says...

Wow, that is really a dreamy picture. I can just imagine the curtains lifting up from the blowing wind. That's a nice view and good luck if you enter it for a competition!
.: ₪ :.

'...'

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:56 pm
drunky_punky says...

i like it i think its tres symbolic about opening up new doors and boundaries but the film is a bit fuzzy see if u can mess with the lighting to get it just right
the emo emu says: if i had arms i'd cut myself..... but as it stands i'll just gnaw off my leg!

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:50 pm
mer says...

I like the fuzziness; I think it gives the photograph an oil-painting like quality.

It's rather entrancing.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:07 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

Ooh. Think of how good this would look as a painting. The only thing that bothers me, as said before, is the stuff on the table.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:23 am
Elizabeth says...

wish I was a good photographer like this... heh.
yeah the stuff on the tables, as waffly said, ... it's not like a vase of roses now is it? lol... otherwise I love the shadow of the door and the curtian. C'est tres belle!

14 Reviews

Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:54 am
serenityinthesky says...

To all:
regarding the stuff on the table.
WHOOPS.
You are all very, very, very right...AGHHHH tacky!!!
Unfortunately I will never get the chance to take this picture again because it was in FL and of course I don't live in FL.
If I'm careful enough I might be able to "remove" the stuff and "make the table". Although, I really don't like messing with pictures too much. I like everything real.
I did try and sharpen the image and it turned out pretty well, but I did it on a school computer.
I'm debating however if I like it the way it is up here, it sort of has an impressionist feel to it.
But anyways thank you all for your input. :)
I will most likely be putting up more pictures soon since that seems to be my current forte.
:D

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:30 am
sabradan says...

I like it. The composition is beautiful. Very standard, good and time-tested/tried and true. Meaning, its not very originial/experimental in its composition, but its okay because you're going with something that almost always works well. The only real problesm I see here are these: 1. Its very busy, I would like it better if there wasn't quite so much stuff going on in it. Maybe eliminate the table and see how it looks, it might even look "cleaner" and "Sleeker". And 2. Lighting. As a photographer myself, I can tell you LIGHTING IS YOUR GOD. Lighting is all important, as it will make or break a photo. This photo is good, but its really a bit too dark in the foreground for my taste to really be considered "Great". In most standard compostion, the gradient is lightest--->darkest. Yours is reversed, and the end result is that it really dims down the whole picture. If you worked on that, it would be perfect.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

How can I be king of the world? Because I am king of rubbish. And rubbish is what the world is made of.
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane