z

Young Writers Society

9/11 Digital

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:14 pm
Teufelshund says...

Here are two images I made last night. Both images are fairly large, and I apologize if this inconveininces you.

This one is a quick redo of the Revolutionary Gadsden "Don't tread on me" flag.

I think I got a bit "filter-happy" on this one.

Thanks.
Semper Fidelis

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically. "

-Jean-Paul Sartre

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:14 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

Very political.

And filter happy.

15 Reviews

Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:17 pm
Teufelshund says...

MisterWaffles wrote:Very political.

And filter happy.

I'm a noob at this, expect filter-hapiness. :)
Semper Fidelis

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically. "

-Jean-Paul Sartre

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:25 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

You could cheat a little and blur some edges to get rid of some of the 'pixelliness' in the second picture.

15 Reviews

Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:38 pm
Teufelshund says...

Thanks...I just realized all of the pixelness...didn't really show up when I saw it in the tiny thumbnail in explorer...
Semper Fidelis

-Jean-Paul Sartre

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:47 pm
Snoink says...

The second one reminds me of WW2 propaganda. Except the idea is less strong.

I think it would be better to hide the face more into the smoke and let the destruction of the buildings be the prominent view. After all, that's a lot moer powerful than any silly face you can hide in the smoke. Also, don't be so blatant in your words. Some of the best 9/11 cartoons are the ones without any words whatsoever.
Attachments
ladyliberty.gif
ladyliberty.gif (38.61 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:12 am
Sponson Light says...

The classic turban.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:56 pm
Elizabeth says...

I scrolled down on the last one and it made me jump a bit.

Bit Zombie-ish if you ask me :P But nothing wrong with that per say. hee hee.

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:41 pm
Bjorn says...

I love the Zombie-Sama lol
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

254 Reviews

Reviews: 254
Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:11 am
BFG says...

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the whole political issue... yeeaahh.

Sorry, but I couldn't really see this as art with such a blatant political message staring me in the face. I went to the website you put in your sig, and I had a little problem with that, too... mainly the mission statement. It was written as though America were fighting someone else, not herself... but think about it. Saddam Hussein was set up by the U.S., who put him in power and supplied him with weapons. Not that he or Iraq had anything to do with 9/11, of course, since most of the terrorists were from Saudi Arabia. And then there's the fact that we invaded their country unprovoked, killed thousands of their people, lost some of ours, and now no matter what course we take (pulling out or bringing in 20,000 more troops) we will have thrown Iraq into a civil war. We are not bringing them or democracy - we're destroying a country and its ancient, beautiful culture. Who are we to Westernize the world? To thrust our meager scraps of traditions on their age-old riches? Then there's your picture of a brown-skinned, bearded man in a turban representing evil, as if we don't already have to enough to do to fight the growing Middle-Eastern hating, Muslim-hating, racist ethnocentrism of American people. Not enough of the WASPs that rule our country know that the Garden of Eden was in Mesopotamia, that Jesus was Middle-Eastern, brown-skinned and a Jew.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Jesus, American troops, or America herself, and I'm not a terrorist. And there's really nothing wrong with the quality of the picture as far as I can tell (though I'm not much of an artist). I just disagree politically.
“It is one of life's bitterest truths that bedtime so often arrives just when things are really getting interesting.” - Lemony Snicket

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:26 am
Jiggity says...

Beatifully said, BFG.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:35 am
Snoink says...

Beautiful or not, please stay on topic and critique the art. If you want to debate, do it in the appropriate section.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:38 am
Shine says...

Yeah the second one is really something.
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:34 pm
Lilyy03 says...

The first one's alright, if simple. The second I honestly don't like much (even with the political message aside). The coloring of the background image is rather dull, and too much focus is on the (rather scribbly and odd-looking) face. The big yellow text draws too much attention to itself. Though, the rays coming from the eyes is a cool effect.

The most important thing is to have fun! Stress makes for distress and neither of those belong in writing!
— Kaia