z

Young Writers Society

Why So Serious?

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:54 pm
Tabithalillian says...

can you even tell who it is? arg this picture makes me want to throw up every time I look at it, it just seems to get worse and worse. I really need some tips and such on how to draw the joker, this is also just a work in progress so that is why sketchy lines are there. It is no where near done (I havent even started the shading yet!) so I reaaaaally need some help on making him look presentable. Thanks!
Living in a tower

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:27 am
.:Echelon:. says...

Face shape and nose shape needs sorting out. The nose needs to be a little bit smaller and the shape skinnyer.

And yes I can tell who it is, The joker from dark knight(heath ledger)
Attachments
darkknight_promo2.jpg
darkknight_promo2.jpg (42.77 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Every rose has it's thorn..
Just like every night has it's dawn.

I've matured a lot and I realised it was time to come back.. for good!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:47 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

Hey, Tabithalillian!

It's definitely not bad. It has a lot of potential.

The main problem here is the shape of his head.
It's too rectangular and lumpy.

His nose is also very wide and it looks as though he has no nose bridge.

Nice shading.

The other thing I would do is add more emotion. The Joker is the most interesting character in Batman (personally to me at least). He shouldn't just have a vacant expression. Make him look kind of maniacal or something. ^_^

Very, very good work!

-Sakura
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:20 am
invisible.dancer says...

Are the eyes not proportional? I'm not sure whats odd about them, but since its a portrait, the eyes are important... I would make them on the same angle as the head, not straight forward.

Other then that, this is a really good piece!!!! I think the mouth and the shading are fabulous! Keep up the good work :)

Random avatar

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:21 am
View Likes
invisible.dancer says...

Are the eyes not proportional? I'm not sure whats odd about them, but since its a portrait, the eyes are important... I would make them on the same angle as the head, not straight forward.

Other then that, this is a really good piece!!!! I think the mouth and the start of the shading are fabulous! Keep up the good work :)

Random avatar

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:43 am
invisible.dancer says...

Other then that, this is a really good piece!!!! I think the mouth and the start of the shading are fabulous! Keep up the good work :)

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:10 pm
Raimunda says...

What you should do is cheat.
Haha.

No, seriously. Trace the outline of his face, because that is what is holding you back. Trace that, trace the outlines, then focus on shading in the details and making it look real. Because then you develop one skill at a time and you can take on the challenge of portraiture later. And also, it'll look really awesome and you can just lie to everyone.

Give yourself a couple of hours to really focus on it. Trace it and then work REALLY hard on the shading. If it doesn't look real, rub it out and start again.

And thus, I have spewed enough. Have fun.
xx
I just hit my computer
Because it was being slow
I need my daily Smallville fix
And it will not load the video.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:03 pm
.:Echelon:. says...

i do that some times hehe

:P

Its not really cheating. Its giving you a base to draw on XD
Every rose has it's thorn..
Just like every night has it's dawn.

I've matured a lot and I realised it was time to come back.. for good!

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:50 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

yay! You remembered to make the eyes an eye length apart. xD
This really isn't a bad picture at all. It does have potential, it's just not perfect but art's never perfect. So, now for some tips:
He has no eyelids. People have eyelids, so we need to see at least a bit of them. This is kinda what makes the eye look so 2D, if ya get what I mean :lol:

The hair is wrong. When drawing hair don't start with lines, use different pencils and just stroke the penils individually, so basically use some dark pencils and some lighter ones. To add light just use a rubber, so look at the way light spirals over hair, and use your rubber to follow that pattern ;)

The forhead lines shouldn't be drawn on. Just shade them and they'd work better.

Basically, this drawing is actually very good, you've almost got the right proportions, and the actual drawing itself is good, all you need to do is the shading. With shading this drawing could be great xD

You've done well so far, just make sure your shading works and you'll be great ;)

I love your drawings :)

~Kirsten xxx
for what are we without words and stories?

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:32 am
franz6767 says...

Yes, I could tell who it was.

It was pretty good for a sketch though

I thought you could've made his scars a little more noticeable.

And I think the expression on his face that you've drawn, looks like one of remorse, or regret, and I don't think the Joker is feeling any of those for anything he's done.

Pretty good sketch

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:49 am
Lava says...

Hi!

It was quite good, and well everyone else has pointed out the flaws, but here is just one sugestion:
try and practice tracing first and then move on to free-hand; you develop skill better that way, trust me. It works.

Anyways, keep drawing!
~Lava
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:49 pm
knFrance says...

I can for sure tell who it is!
Its pretty good, I can never get my portraits to look very much like the real person, its a hard thing to do!
I would say make the nose bridge a little smaller and better shapped and then the eyes are a little too close together

Hi everyone who clicks on my profile!...Um, not quite sure what else to do here. Yup, definitely new at this! XD
— Magebird