z

Young Writers Society

Posssibilities...Or Experiments, Perhaps.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:19 pm
TinyDancer says...

Spoiler! :
Hello friends :) I have had a stroke of creativity, and started a novel again. The last one fell through my fingers, so I'm hoping this one will be better. I'm not quite ready to post anything yet, but this is just a possible prologue, so I thought I'd put it here to see what you all thought of it. It's just a rough draft, so please rip it limb from limb and tell me how to make it better! The basic idea goes like this: this prologue would be in the future, and the actual chapters would begin a few years prior to the event, at least half the book. The other half would be after the event. Or something. I don't know if that makes a difference to you reading it, but I figured I might as well get it out there. Like I said, this is an experiment, so if you have any ideas, please let me know! Thanks in advance!

~Jess

Oh and PS, I'm generally against not revealing names in the prologue, but I kind of need to keep the names a secret because if the people reading the book know who it is, it will ruin the story. So please no comments like: "I don't like that you didn't give the characters names!" and "You need to tell us who the people are!" I know. And I will, just not in this part. I also plan to expand it a bit because it's pretty short, so if you have ideas on how to do that, please let me know! Other than that, tear it up, friends :)

Blue and red lights reflected off the rain-soaked pavement, gleaming like sapphire and ruby stars. The crescent moon above hung eerily quiet over the scene. Its glassy silver eyes had witnessed everything—four drunken kids, two sporty cars racing at deadly speeds, the yellow light that had held every ounce of its color before submitting to the red that took over. The sleepy moon had watched helplessly as one of the cars, red as the newly-changed light, was violently struck at full speed by another vehicle, completely mangling what was only just moments ago the hood of the car and its perfectly upholstered front seats.
From its vantage point high in the solar system, the moon saw the other car race away and could say nothing, do nothing, to save the two kids that were surely bleeding to death in the red totaled vehicle far down on earth. Somewhere in that mess of jarred metal and smoking engine laid a boy, too oblivious from alcohol to comprehend what had happened to him. He would die that way, oblivious. Oblivious to the rain hitting his unshaven face, oblivious to the police cars and ambulance arriving to the scene, oblivious to the last words his girlfriend said to him. “Perhaps”, said the half-sober girl lying next to him as she watched him breathe his last few breaths from across a pile of rubble, “perhaps I should’ve driven us home.”
`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

“The circus arrives without warning.
No announcements precede it.
It is simply there,
When yesterday it was not.”

`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
— Robert Frost