z

Young Writers Society

Why Upenn Essay

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:38 am
beccalicious94 says...

Considering both the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying and the unique aspects of the University of Pennsylvania, what do you hope to learn from and contribute to the Penn community?

The University of Pennsylvania is the place where I want to spend the next four years, the place with a thriving community of scholars who take what they learn and apply it bettering of society. I want to learn my ABCS by actively solving problems and making a difference in my new environment. Just as Benjamin Franklin intended, Penn thrives upon its focus on public service—the very reason I find it so appealing.

In conjunction with the Modern Middle Eastern Studies major, I hope to learn about current Middle Eastern issues and acquire the skills necessary to effectively influence policy making. History has always been my favorite subject in school, and I was fortunate to take rich and engaging history courses throughout high school. My particular interest in Middle Eastern studies crystallized after participating in the Write On For Israel education and advocacy program, and meeting experts in the field who love what they do. In the future, I see myself continuing my involvement in politics. I believe there is no better place than Penn to make that dream a reality.

As an enthusiastic lover of learning, I hope to share valuable insights and perspectives with my fellow classmates. As an Israel advocate, I have aggregated professional opinions about Middle Eastern affairs from journalists, media correspondents, soldiers, and politicians and eagerly engage in discussion about current issues. From my experience studying social sciences, I see the links between the sciences and humanities as an interdisciplinary approach to learning—the cornerstone of the Penn curriculum. I want to continue to do research in the social sciences and write for Penn Science, where undergraduate research is encouraged. I am intrigued by all the worthy volunteer opportunities available at Penn, particularly WriteOn!, an initiative to bolster child literacy and creative writing. I want to get involved in the International Relations association, the Women in Leadership Series, and Penn Dems., and continue to be a leader, this time for a wider audience. Together with my proactive peers, I know any cause we adopt will be well served.

The things you are passionate about are not random, they are your calling.
— Fabienne Fredrickson