z

Young Writers Society

Silence of the Trees

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:35 pm
ScarlettWinters says...

Within a child’s mind there lays a simple concept that the world before our eyes is no different then the world we keep behind them. The barrier which adulthood forms around the imagination has yet to shape. As a result a child’s world is bright, untouched by the harsh climates which strike with relentless force upon reality. It is a world of black and white, good and evil, without corruption and prejudice. A world where a forest is not just a forest but a kingdom, a kingdom of romance and danger. The trees rustle in the wind, but to a child they sing a sweet song of love. The leaves which turn to auburn red and fall to the ground are not simply the result of change in season, but a curse upon the trees, from the malicious queen of fire which can only be lifted with the blessing of the captured princess whose hair is spun silk and eyes like the ocean.

Saddening it may seem that this ability to preserve the world around us as more than it is, fades away with the passage of time. How convenient it would be to escape to a world where truth and right still exist, when distress and war prevail. Unfortunately reality must strike, a Childs kingdom must once again be a forest. Trees which once sang must be silenced, and the burning leaves will only mark the begging’s of winter. For a child can only imagine for so long, eventually they must leave their world behind and embrace the reality before them. Some though possess a mind with the rarest of gifts, an imagination which continues to grow and thrive past childhood. Where this imagination may lead is dangerous to think, but for now they still dare to believe that deep within the forest of their youth there lays the kingdom they once knew.

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:13 pm
Renn says...

This was... interesting. And really good. It felt almost like a persuasive essay, but not forced, very natural. This is something people always seem to keep 'hush-hush' and say that it is a necessary part of growing up- removing ourselves from our inner stories, forsaking our imaginary friends, leaving our imagined kingdom in the forest behind. Authors are just lucky to have all the abandoned imagination in OUR heads. :)

Some hopefully helpful tidbits:
The leaves which turn to auburn red and fall to the ground are not simply the result of change in season, but a curse upon the trees, from the malicious queen of fire which can only be lifted with the blessing of the captured princess whose hair is spun silk and eyes like the ocean.
This REALLY makes your point, I like it.
Childs kingdom must once again be a forest
this should be 'child's kingdom must once again be a forest'. Just the first word needs work, but that's easy. Just make it lowercase and add an apostrophe, everyone makes those typos.

Keep imagining!
-Renn
'Evil exists in all of us Torak. Some fight it. Some feed it. That is how it has always been.'

"There is always a choice," said Torak, and he backed off the cliff.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:37 am
sockmonkey says...

i liked your writing :)it seems like something that people could relate to .i could relate it to how i felt as a little kid before i got older and realized the often corrupt state of the world as you said with your mention of corruption and black-and-whiteness .
its built on lies...just like the mafia the cia and fox news...sockmonkey...away!

It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind