z

Young Writers Society

A history of the New Worlds - Maps of post-apocalyptic Earth

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:02 am
Blues says...

Spoiler! :
I thought I'd post this to see if there was an issue with my continent maps and my back story - if there are any inaccuracies :) Thanks everyone!

Edit: I forgot to add that the green outline is today's world from this website here. I traced it so it was easy to compare to my drawings in red.

In the late 2000s, scientists predicted that within that century, perhaps as early as 2020, the Arctic ice sheet would melt in the summer, and the Arctic ocean would remain ice-free throughout the summer.

25 years later, this prediction came true (2035). The North-East passage became a busy shipping lane, transporting goods from China to Europe. Large oil reserves were discovered, causing oil companies to scramble. At the time, it would not have been surprising if one had thought it was the scramble for gold or similar.

Russia, the USA, Denmark, Norway and Canada scrambled for territory too. This led to increased tension between Russia and the US, Denmark and Norway having been bullied by Russia to give up most of their territory and the US bullying Canada into giving up theirs.

People began to describe this tension as the Second Cold War. The UN managed to make peace between these countries in 2030, however, 2 years later when a Russian oil carrier collided with an American oil rig on the territorial border during bad weather, war broke out, starting with America accusing it of sabotaging its trade.

By this time, oil was extremely cheap at 20p a litre due to how common it was. Carbon Dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions had rocketed - however, no one paid much attention, seeing as the majority of scientists now did *not* believe in global warming any more.

The US-Russia war went Nuclear. Both countries were obliterated, with each other's oil fields burned and empty. By this time, the world population would have decreased to 6 billion from 8.5 after the nuclear war. Nuclear winter is succeeded by nuclear summer, which combined with the high levels of greenhouse gases, meant that the Greenlandic and Antarctic ice sheets melted. Freak weather worsened the situation further causing much of North America, much of Australia, Asia and Africa to be flooded. Europe completely sank while the Andes mountain chain was all that was left of South America.

Hundreds of years into the future, with world populations hovering at around 800 million and with much of the world living in the Second Dark Ages, advertisements of the 'New Worlds' popped up all around the globe, promising better living conditions and the chance of a better life. Millions left to the Northern New World (Greenland) and the Southern New World (Antarctica), both of which now comfortably habitable. Much of the world below 50 degrees North/South had average temperatures of 32. Between the tropics was 'hell' heat.

Unfortunately, the New Worlds were not as good as they thought. Rather, the north was, perhaps, what George Orwell would've based 1984 on, if he had lived longer.

And in the Northern Dictatorship of Greenland and Greenisland, is where the story begins.

(P.S. If there are any inaccuracies and if you recommend changing something, please bare in mind that the amount of land lost in the floods should stay the same and that Antarctica and Greenland HAVE to be inevitable. Thanks!)

Aaaand the maps:

Spoiler! :
World  map.jpg
World map.jpg (578.81 KiB) Viewed 280 times

Antarctica:

Spoiler! :
Scan 4.jpeg
Scan 4.jpeg (101.66 KiB) Viewed 280 times

Spoiler! :
Reviews and likes appreciated! :D

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:35 pm
View Likes
TwistedMuffins says...

*poke*

Hai, Mac! There really isn't anything to change. It is perfect as it is. Though, I was just wondering;
And in the Northern Dictatorship of Greenland and Greenisland, is where the story begins.

I read it as "Green is land" and then as "Greenis land" and then as "Green Island". I thought the place was called Green Island?

As for your maps:

Oh My God, you have such an adroable handwriting! Like a kid's! *ahem* They were quite accurate, despite the fact your Earth wasn't exactly... round.

Well, that's it. I'm looking forward to this!

-TwistedMuffins
If I were to have a super power, it would be to time-travel, so that I could turn back time, and erase your very existence.

Mudwesterner
— BlueAfrica