Young Writers Society

My Dearest Walter(revised...again)

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:56 am
View Likes
catslikebooks2 says...

My Dearest Walter,

It's raining again, with grey skies overhead; thunder roaring like a wild beast.

It reminds me of that day-our last day together… Oh, how I detest the rain! The thunder still startles the horses, and they can barely be controlled. I won’t allow our children anywhere near them during a storm like this! Ah, the children, I suppose you would like to know about them. Charles is growing up to be a strapping young lad. You would have never known how dashing he’d turn out from that little babe you saw me holding. He was only a few months old when you… had the accident. Charles is five now, he looks just like you, the same dark hair and brown eyes that I fell in love with, the same smile you always had. And Anna, a darling child, sweetest little angel on earth! You never did get a chance to see her, but I can tell she looks just like me. She has the same wild brown hair, and blue eyes you always said were much too serious. Even at this age, she’s just as fearless as you, believing she can do anything, and come out unscathed.

They ask about you sometimes, but I can’t bear to tell them what happened! I have to be strong for them, and seeing their little faces stained with tears of sorrow, I would most assuredly break down. I told them you went off to war, to fight against those accursed British. I will tell them the truth, but only when they are much, much older.

I hoped writing this letter would bring me some closure, but it only brings the agony of that night back. The torture I went through, being so helpless, as though I were the one broken in the dust outside, the life draining out of me. Oh, how I wish it had been me instead! Why did you have to go outside that night? why did you need to calm the horses? You knew they bolted at the sound of thunder! And Yet you did, you opened the barn door!You opened the barn door and the horses bolted! You opened the door and now you’re dead! You’re dead, Walter! You will never see our children grow up! Never teach Charles how to hunt, or show Anna how to ride a horse! Never kiss me again...

Oh Walter, my dearest Walter, there are no words to describe the despair it brings me to live without you. Everyday, living in this house you built for us, to share until well into our olden years. But too soon, much too soon, you’ve been stolen from me, leaving a vacant place in my heart, forever empty, gathering dust, for however long I shall live. I love you Walter, I shall always love you. Beyond the bonds of time, of distance, of death, you are my love.

Your forever love,
Charity
Last edited by catslikebooks2 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"You know how writers are... they create themselves as they create their work. Or perhaps they create their work in order to create themselves."-Orson Scott Card
Cats are awesome! So are books!so obviously; catslikebooks2!

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:38 am
NightWriter says...

Hey catslikebooks2!
This was a really enjoyable piece to read!

What I loved most was the descriptive writing that really pulls you in. It was definitely an emotive piece with a story that is just clear enough to hurt.

...now you’re dead! You’re dead Walter! You will never see our children grow up! Never teach Charles how to hunt! Never show Anna how to ride a horse! Never kiss me again.

In the above quote, the repetition really takes the cake. This one part, I think, sums up your entire work here.

I loved it, and well done!

NightWriter x
raised by wolves // brought up on words.

94 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 94
Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:43 am
View Likes
TheEstimableEelz says...

Well, this was indeed enjoyable to read. However. There are certain flaws that need polishing.

Too many exclamation marks! It took away (!) from the candidness and became ridiculous, even, towards the middle. By the end, I was only responding emotionally because the story was ostensibly sad.
Also, the grammar went by a bit too quickly, I'm afraid. A few commas were missing, though not many, and there was a lack of words such as 'that' and whatnot, which led to this having a rushed tone, as though the speaker wishes to tell it all in a single breath, or maybe two.

Earlier, I said the story was 'ostensibly' sad. That's because the accident seems less tragic and more... foolish. Of course, many accidents are, but this one in particular seemed too avoidable. You can make the event more tragic by eliminating some of the lamp-shading given towards the end: you make it seem to much as though the husband did something he would know not to do.
Combining the last two points: the lady doth protest too much. While I can understand that she might be very emotional, your punctuation and pacing makes me feel as though she is bombarding me with rage/grief. Quite over-the-top, and I suspect you wanted her relatively realistic.

So, overall, I like this! Just tone it down a bit, and it should be wonderful. Solid piece, keep writing! :)
Formerly 'ilyaeelz.' Others experiment with drugs. I experiment with punctuation and grammar.

"Research your own experiences for the truth, absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is specifically your own." - Bruce Lee

204 Reviews

Reviews: 204
Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:06 am
View Likes
crescent says...

I like the bit of foreshadowing you used at the beginning of this prose. At my second glance, it provides deeper meaning, and I understand why Charity is so cautious with her children in regards to storms, her fears.

Charles is five now, he looks just like you, the same dark hair and brown eyes that I fell in love with, the same smile you always had.
I really don't like the part in bold. It's cliche. I hate that line... "I fell in love with".

Oh how I wish it had been me instead!
Comma after "oh".

Why did you have to go outside that night!
There should be a question mark instead.

You know they bolt right out of the barn at the rumbling of thunder!

It should be "knew". Walter isn't capable of knowing anymore. He's dead.

You’re dead Walter!
Comma after "dead".

Everyday, living in this house you built for us, to share until well into our olden years.

This is a sentence fragment. I think you can combine this with the previous sentence fairly easily if you wish to avoid fragments. Some authors do use them; it seems to be a quite popular form of writing in YA fiction these days...

Your forever love,
Charity
I found "your forever love" to be an awkward phrase. Your love forever maybe?

The exclamation points really irked me, but that may be due to the fact that I don't really believe in there usage. Perhaps they used more exclamation points during the historical time frame you're writing from.

I thought this was an okay piece. It wasn't really my cup of tea, but I really enjoyed the little details you added here an there throughout the letter. It added to the believability of their lives. Although, after reading this story, I didn't really feel a connection to the characters... I think you can even turn this piece into a monologue if you really wanted. Charity's screaming throughout the piece. Anyways, happy writing!

-Crescent

P.S. I'm a bit sleep-deprived at the moment, so please excuse any strange renderings. Also, I agree with everything ilyaeelz has mentioned.
Please take care to use good grammar when making a post!

"grammer" 1519 matches on YWS *twitches*

Rydia is the ruler of the world. :(

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:46 pm
ArcticMonkey says...

Hiya! My deepest apologies for the lateness. I did read it on Thursday and now I've seen you've revised it xD. The review will still go on, and now I get to review your revised version :D

Nitpicks in the spoiler:
Stuff I've added or changed is in red, I've underlined a few things and my comments are in blue :)
Spoiler! :
It's raining again, with grey skies overhead, thunder roaring, like a wild beast. I think this would be a good first line, with fewer commas. I think it should look something like this:
It's raining again, with grey skies overhead; thunder roaring like a wild beast.

It reminds me of that day- our last day together... Oh, how I detest the rain! The thunder still startles the horses, and they can barely be controlled. I won’t allow our children anywhere near them during a storm like this! Ah, the children, I suppose you would like to know about them. Charles is growing up to be a strapping young lad. You would have never known how dashing he’d turn out from that little babe - maybe 'baby' would suit better? you saw me holding. He was only a few months old when you… had the accident. Charles is five now, he looks just like you, the same dark hair and brown eyes that I fell in love with, the same smile you always had. And Anna, a darling child, sweetest little angel on earth! You never did get a chance to see her, but I can tell she looks just like me, the same wild brown hair, and blue eyes that you always said were much too serious, but even at this age, she’s just as fearless as you, believing she can do anything, and come out unscathed. -this is quite a long sentence! Maybe shorten down a bit or add a connnective or something?
They ask about you sometimes, but I can’t bear to tell them what happened! I have to be strong for them, and seeing their little faces stained with tears of sorrow, I would most assuredly break down. I told them you went off to war, to fight against those accursed British. I will tell them the truth, but only when they are much, much older.

I hoped writing this letter would bring me some closure, but it only brings the agony of that night back, the torture I went through, being so helpless, as though I were the one broken in the dust outside, the life draining out of me. - Another really long sentence! Oh, how I wish it had been me instead! Why did you have to go outside that night? There was no need to calm the horses! You knew they bolted at the sound of thunder!And yet you did! You opened the barn door!You opened the barn door and the horses bolted! You opened the door and now you’re dead! You’re dead, Walter! You will never see our children grow up! Never teach Charles how to hunt! Never show Anna how to ride a horse! Never kiss me again. - Overuse of exclamation marks I think...

Oh Walter, my dearest Walter, there are no words to describe the despair it brings me to live without you. Everyday, living in this house you built for us, to share until well into our olden years. But too soon, much too soon, you’ve been stolen from me, leaving a vacant place in my heart, forever empty, gathering dust, for however long I shall live. I love you Walter, I shall always love you. Beyond the bonds of time, of distance, of death, you are my love.

I'd just like to say that you've used many exclamation marks and when they are used, usually, it shows something important. However, because there are so many they kind of lose their purpose.

So, to start with the things I liked. Firstly your use of description and adjectives I think is very good- especially in the first line. It really helps the reader know what is going on, so well done! I also really like your last paragraph, I wouldn't change anything about it because I think it's got loads of meaning behind it and it really helps finish off the letter/story. I think you've made a good decision in making it quite short as because it's a letter the reader could zone out if it was really long, but I think this is the perfect length! And lastly, I really feel what Charity is feeling because of how you've described everything really well!

Things I think could improve was more kind of gramatical. Like, in your second to last paragraph the use of exclamation marks really ovewhelms me and I'm sure it did other readers. I could see what you were trying to do there by making like a really powerful paragraph where Charity is really trying to get through to Walter, but I think instead of all the exclamation marks you should vary sentence lengths, add some rhetorical questions, put in a couple of exclamation marks and use semi-colons and hyphons. Also, I just generally think the whole idea was quite cliche, and I'm not saying to change your story line- but add elements that make it different- if you see what I mean.

Overall, I enjoyed reading it and I think it has loads of potential, it just needs some editing. Also, do you write poetry? Because I think this would suit poetry a lot more than this, or as crescent said- a monologue. It's all Charity talking, and no action which is why I think it should be a poem or something of the sort. Anyway, I'll leave you at that xD

Keep writing!
-Arc x
p.s. Feel free to PM me with any questions- and sorry about any spelling mistakes! ;)
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:46 pm
View Likes
ArcticMonkey says...

Hiya! My deepest apologies for the lateness. I did read it on Thursday and now I've seen you've revised it xD. The review will still go on, and now I get to review your revised version :D

Nitpicks in the spoiler:
Stuff I've added or changed is in red, I've underlined a few things and my comments are in blue :)
Spoiler! :
It's raining again, with grey skies overhead, thunder roaring, like a wild beast. I think this would be a good first line, with fewer commas. I think it should look something like this:

It reminds me of that day- our last day together... Oh, how I detest the rain! The thunder still startles the horses, and they can barely be controlled. I won’t allow our children anywhere near them during a storm like this! Ah, the children, I suppose you would like to know about them. Charles is growing up to be a strapping young lad. You would have never known how dashing he’d turn out from that little babe - maybe 'baby' would suit better? you saw me holding. He was only a few months old when you… had the accident. Charles is five now, he looks just like you, the same dark hair and brown eyes that I fell in love with, the same smile you always had. And Anna, a darling child, sweetest little angel on earth! You never did get a chance to see her, but I can tell she looks just like me, the same wild brown hair, and blue eyes that you always said were much too serious, but even at this age, she’s just as fearless as you, believing she can do anything, and come out unscathed. -this is quite a long sentence! Maybe shorten down a bit or add a connnective or something?

I hoped writing this letter would bring me some closure, but it only brings the agony of that night back, the torture I went through, being so helpless, as though I were the one broken in the dust outside, the life draining out of me. - Another really long sentence! Oh, how I wish it had been me instead! Why did you have to go outside that night? There was no need to calm the horses! You knew they bolted at the sound of thunder!And yet you did! You opened the barn door!You opened the barn door and the horses bolted! You opened the door and now you’re dead! You’re dead, Walter! You will never see our children grow up! Never teach Charles how to hunt! Never show Anna how to ride a horse! Never kiss me again. - Overuse of exclamation marks I think...

I'd just like to say that you've used many exclamation marks and when they are used, usually, it shows something important. However, because there are so many they kind of lose their purpose.

So, to start with the things I liked. Firstly your use of description and adjectives I think is very good- especially in the first line. It really helps the reader know what is going on, so well done! I also really like your last paragraph, I wouldn't change anything about it because I think it's got loads of meaning behind it and it really helps finish off the letter/story. I think you've made a good decision in making it quite short as because it's a letter the reader could zone out if it was really long, but I think this is the perfect length! And lastly, I really feel what Charity is feeling because of how you've described everything really well!

Things I think could improve was more kind of gramatical. Like, in your second to last paragraph the use of exclamation marks really ovewhelms me and I'm sure it did other readers. I could see what you were trying to do there by making like a really powerful paragraph where Charity is really trying to get through to Walter, but I think instead of all the exclamation marks you should vary sentence lengths, add some rhetorical questions, put in a couple of exclamation marks and use semi-colons and hyphons. Also, I just generally think the whole idea was quite cliche, and I'm not saying to change your story line- but add elements that make it different- if you see what I mean.

Overall, I enjoyed reading it and I think it has loads of potential, it just needs some editing. Also, do you write poetry? Because I think this would suit poetry a lot more than this, or as crescent said- a monologue. It's all Charity talking, and no action which is why I think it should be a poem or something of the sort. Anyway, I'll leave you at that xD

Keep writing!
-Arc x
p.s. Feel free to PM me with any questions- and sorry about any spelling mistakes! ;)
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.
— Audrey Hepburn