z

Young Writers Society

Create-a-word contest

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:09 pm
Laminated says...

Comparian- Term for a person who consistently compares themselves to others.

Wireboned- Adjective for someone who spends an abnormal amount of time with technology, effectively "plugging themselves in" to electronics

Haha... not the greatest. But I'll give it a go.
I'M GUNNA MAKE DIS PLACE YO HOME

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:32 pm
Roach says...

Laminated -

Great to meet you! Fun post, as well. When I was a little girl I had all these words I liked to make up - imagine my pity when I realized they were real words and no, I was not as smart as Einstein. Ah, childhood. On to your words, though. Comparian is a cool term! I like it. I actually know a lot of people like that! I'm going to start calling them that. It'll be spiffy. I cannot wait to see their reactions. Wireboned, however, seems like a longer variation of wired. Example: "Wow, she's so wired." You could put wireboned in place of wired, too, I believe. Wired is a term that is already popular, so wireboned strikes me as a needless addition, honestly.

Cute!

- roach
"There was John and Jane and Betsy
eating bugs and drinking Pepsi,
dancing jigs up on the fiddle,
up the sides and down the middle."
- Erland & The Carnival

Got YWS?

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:31 am
NightWriter says...

Haha, I used to do this with my best friend all the time.

Our favourite word, I'm pretty sure, was "Tempersir" Which was our teacher when he was mad.

Also Spbludgence: Science - which quite obviously, was a bludge.
raised by wolves // brought up on words.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:38 am
Mirasol says...

Nice. :) haha really fun! I'll try it sometime...maybe then I'll write a poem about it. haha.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:24 am
EnchantedPanda says...

Hello Laminated,

I don't have much practice reviewing words but I'll give this a go. Please excuse the length of this, I would write more but it is difficult to review something like this and you already have a pretty good start here. It is a very interesting concept and I like what you have created. You've got a very nice start here and I actually really liked this but I do have a few words of advice for you.

You haven't really thought about this as much as you could have and you haven't taken other words from older or foreign languages and put them together. From what I can tell you have just used a couple of words in this language that already exist and put them together which isn't how words are created. In the future if you ever repeat this exercise try and explore different languages to make words.

Comparian- Term for a person who consistently compares themselves to others.

This was my favorite word than you have made and I know a lot of people who are like this. Despite that though you haven't really made up a new word, you have just added a suffix to a word which already exists and I think you should try making it more unusual.

Wireboned- Adjective for someone who spends an abnormal amount of time with technology, effectively "plugging themselves in" to electronics

To me this just sounds like wired and I don't think much thought went into this word, it's still pretty cool though and an interesting idea.

From DreamingForever

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:52 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Word games, huh? These kind of writing activities enhance writing capabilities of writers to think creatively, it is also believed to be a brain exercise because of thinking excessively. 'nuff bout the trivia, here are some words I made which I think can be considered parodies.

Arrggghhropolis - (arh - ro - po - lis) n. a very beautiful city that is full of pit traps and holes where anyone can fall...for two doogeons.

Facebookworm - (fays - book - worm) n. someone who inductively reads Wall statuses instead of books and like reading materials.

Cluwwer - (clu - wer) v. to wiggle from left to right, counterclockwise motion. ant. quiwwer

I'll try to give the next letters next time ;)
Al
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck…you should not be so quick to jump to conclusions.
— Cecil Gershwin Palmer