z

Young Writers Society

For the "invent a word" contest

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:56 pm
wewinwelose says...

Cataternity- The opposite of "eternity." The belief that something never was, and never will be.
Ex: The state of cataternity of the imaginary aliens would continue on forever.

Synonyms: Never, Impossible, Will not be.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.~Groucho Marx

I have a passion for all things literary, and I love to review the work of others :). PM me with a link and I'd love to review for you too!

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:51 pm
LittleMiss says...

Interesting word... does it have anything to do with the latin form of language? the 'catat' have a meaning in latin? Just curious.
Little Miss

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:09 pm
wewinwelose says...

"Cata" is a prefix that technically means "down." However, it is often used in biology and scientific terms to mean "opposite." For example: catabolism is a metabolic process opposite to another....I think anabolism? Not sure though.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.~Groucho Marx

I have a passion for all things literary, and I love to review the work of others :). PM me with a link and I'd love to review for you too!

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:19 pm
View Likes
JCK says...

@LittleMiss

I believe, although I may be mistaken, that the prefix of 'cata' means down. Not sure whether it's latin or greek.

For example, Catacomb, Catastrophe, Cataclysmic.

Although it certainly is an interesting word, I don't really think it makes sense. Although, you yourself (OPer) probably know more about the prefix than me. I can think of a few other examples where the prefix doesn't really make sense, so perhaps it has another meaning.

But let me put forward my explanation of my own confusion;

eternity can mean, for example; something that experiences the passage of time but has, itself, no end. The opposite would be something that does not experience the passage of time but has an end. Which is undefinable even abstractly. Odd. The only example I could think of would be some kind of mortal god, assuming we mean experience but really there's nothing if we assume experience is synonymous with recognizes.

Do like the word though!

Edit: Got beaten to it by the original poster. Damn! However, I'll let this post reside as I enjoy my points and like to contribute.
The most wondrous sight I've ever seen is the sight of the sun in the sky.We are some of the lucky few who are allowed to exist; does that not make it all worth it?

a chance to understand?

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:32 am
volleyball13 says...

Cataternity

Haha, I like the word, rather clever.
"Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children."
Walt Disney

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:00 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

However, it is often used in biology and scientific terms to mean "opposite." For example: catabolism is a metabolic process opposite to another....I think anabolism? Not sure though.

Not quite. Using "catabolism" as an example, catabolism is the breaking down of metabolites from more complex forms, while anabolism is the building up of metabolites from simpler forms. Their prefixes are opposite in action, and not because one means "opposite".

A better root to use would have been anti-, or even contra-. Those mean "opposite", or "against". The prefix a- is another possibility, meaning "not", though it's more easily confused with the original word.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

we went from advice to meth real quick
— ShadowVyper