z

Young Writers Society

Knoutlithe - Profile

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:34 pm
shiney1 says...

Spoiler! :
I put it in the Other Category since all written profile and drawing is up to look at. Comments wanted and are much appreciated, and please like if you like!

Name: Knoutlithe (slender whip)
Class: Assault (Defensive)
Diet: Omnivore
Domestication Status: Common

Knoutlithe is characterized by it's slender figure and whip-like tail. In the wild it uses it's tail to scare off potential predators and stun it's pray. Tamed Knoutlithes' riders sit between the shoulders and neck and use the two long antennae to help steer the dragon, making Knoutlithe one of the easiest dragons to fly. When a Knoutlithe bonds with a tamer, the tamer takes on a slender and more lightweight figure to suit the dragon. Knoutlithe's scales range from brown to dark blue in color.

Habitat
Knoutlithes live in grassy areas that are abundant in trees and wildlife. They prefer moderate temperatures year-round, but can endure extreme heat with a reasonable supply of water and food. With this said, they usually live around areas populated by humans, which leads to the high rates of domestication.

Behavior
Knoutlithe is a fast and agile flyer, and can reach speeds of about 210 miles per hour in short bursts. They have adequate eyesight and a good sense of smell. It is not territorial, but if it feels it is being pushed out of its land, it will confront the intruder.

Social
Knoutlithes travel in groups usually consisting of 5-11 members, with about 3 males. Both males and females help raise the young, and protect them with their lives. Knoutlithes are very intelligent and have an entire language of their own, consisting of a wide arrange of clicks, roars, and growls.

Taming
Knoutlithes are one of the most widely tamed dragons in the land due to their relatively small size (for dragons, that is) and non-aggressive behavior. Still, taming is forbidden during mating season due to aggressive males and females with offspring. Due to their high level of intelligence, they sometimes amuse themselves and often "play" with their potential tamers by ducking and hiding, then fake-pouncing before the tamer, which can cause quite a scare. Due to these "games", sometimes it is hard to tell who is supposed to be taming who...
Knoutlithes are used to heard livestock and other dragons. Their whip-like tails are especially useful in rounding up stray animals and in combat with wild dragons.

Relatively Harmless Unless Provoked or Around Young

This drawing took me about 1 1/2 weeks, the scales taking up most of that time.

Tool:
Mechanical Pencil with cheap lead :/

Dragon species and design by shiney1

PLEASE DO NOT USE
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:34 am
Payne says...

As always, your talent absolutely amazes me! The fact that you come up with such detailed information, and then draw a beautiful picture to go with it...it's incredible.

Okay, I could probably gush about this all day, but that would be both tiresome and useless to you.

So onto the critiques. I would recommend making the dragon's underbelly a different color than the background. Even a small amount of gray shading would make it easier to tell them apart right away. Just a suggestion, of course.
Also, the wings are a a little confusing. I can't tell if both of them are showing, or if that's just one wing. The complexity of their design is great, but that makes it harder to tell what I'm looking at.

Aside from those two things, this is great. The time and effort you put into it were definitely worthwhile. I have drawn scales before, and I know that they are extremely time-consuming. Also a good way to get a cramp in your hand...
Great work!
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:06 am
View Likes
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Hey, thanks for the request ^_^ I totally know how it feels to come up short with reviews x(

Anyways, I have to start by saying how much I love this pic, and all the critique I have is pretty much minor issues that I only start seeing after I stare at this for a while. Because on first glance it just looks flawless.

I've always been especially fond of how you draw muscles, like on the legs and back. It's a real talent to imagine these details on a creature you've created yourself. I think on your last dragon pic, I said that the wings needed more detail, but I think you did better this time. However I think the tummy and under the tail is a little boring this time around. It's just a bunch of white space and I'm wondering about the details there.

I really like how on this dragon you added some swirly looking hair on the end of the tail and on the face and wings. I think this gives the picture a good look as a whole, with the strong muscles and delicate swirly hair stuff x) If you understand what I'm saying lol.

You know how much I love the feet and toes, but I'm staring to notice you use the same kind of claw design for each dragon you draw. I would try and switch it up somehow. Like, maybe you can model the claws or feet off of a lion or cat one time, and a bird's talons the next. I think it would create a little more diversity in your collection.

And this last comment is the most important one, I think. I would really really like to see you color some of these, or at try some different tools. Black ink, or a little more shading would be a good start. To me, your lineart is amazing. But it's just the lineart. I think in order to really make a powerful picture, you need to add color. You obviously know the anatomy well enough to shade it, and that will make all the details stand out even better. For me, this picture would be step one. I take my pencil sketches and sometimes go over them with ink before scanning them onto my computer. Then I do some editing to clean them up. Then I color it. More editing. I bet after working on a picture for a week and a half you get tired of it, but I really do think coloring would help amplify a lot of your drawings. Whenever I want to see one of your drawings I always want to jump and color it myself lol. Maybe if I get bored I'll ask you for permission to do that xP

Hope this helped!
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

Random avatar

Reviews: 33
Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:40 pm
TheRobster1991 says...

Wow Shiney, you have an act for this. I prefer this Dragon in this Profile, mainly because the Knoutlithe is less agressive and is easily tamed. It looks a lot like a chinese dragon, the kind you get in Chinese New Year celebrations and such. And I espesically love the high detail. You ever thought about using these in cartoons? It would be very interesting to see

Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything
— Plato