z

Young Writers Society

Life

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:24 am
MSDavies says...

Spoiler! :
This is a writing prompt I did. The prompt stated to write a rejection letter to yourself. I changed it up and turned it into a bit of my personal outlook on life. I really wish I had given myself this advice a year ago. Enjoy and keep on writin.(:

Dear confused self,

I regret to inform you that you didn't quite...
Scratch that. Regrets are senseless. Everything happened just the way it should have. Why?
You are here today, being who you are, doing what you do, because of every piece of the past. Every single piece.
Thats right. Cheers to every scrape from falling off of your bike, every wrong answer on a test, every jerk that made their way into yourheart somehow, every avoidable argument that comes with
the denial of being wrong, every little white lie-every imperfection, every smudge on the canvas of your life has made up the art that is who you are today.
And every piece of art has its story. Isn't that what's most intriguing about it ? No two works are the same, for they can't be. Van Gogh is no Picasso.
Picasso went through blue phases, but never so blue that sending a part of ear was considered a gift of devotion.
You're probably wondering what I'm getting at, and why it's taking so long. But don't we ask that of ourselves more times than we know?
Why is it taking so long for me to be happy? Why is it taking so long for me to understand the theory of relativity? Why is it taking so long to
allow the world to read my thoughts? Why is it taking so long for me to change the world, just like I've always wanted to?

Your canvas is not completed just yet. The story of you has not reached the climax just yet. Aspire to become the writer you've always dreamed of,
but do it with love in your heart, hope on your sleeve, and leave your eyes wide open. I'm afriad you've missed some extravagant things on your quest through
life.
Love yourself a little more. Love opens the heart to a thousand different highways. Love for yourself can take you every place you'd want to go. Perhaps you
limited yourself to a single free way. Try turning around, love yourself a little more, and the end result will be in your favor. One who compares themselves
to others is one that isn't reading their own street signs. Don't speed up to catch up to the one in front of you, for they have their own destination.
You'll get to yours exactly on time, so never be afraid to take any detours. Never be afraid to allow some paint to drip on your canvas.
Do you get it, yet ? Am I loud and clear, confused self? Love yourself, love your work. Love your work, and so will others.
Sing and the world sings with you. I look forward to hearing from you again. But next time don't use your inside voice. Scream at the top of your
lungs. This isn't a library, this is life.

Sincerely,
Your future self
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”--Carlos Ruiz Zafon

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:20 am
shloka19 says...

I really, really like this piece. The only problem I saw was the spacing, but that's easy to fix. I especially love the analogy of art that you used. I think that it is a wonderful idea and it gave depth to the piece.
Overall, an excellent piece! :D
“Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?’ Actually, who am I not to be?”--Marianne Williamson

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:10 am
View Likes
Anwesha says...

Like, like, like a lot! The idea was superb! And the comparison with painting was even better. It's amazing how such great ideas can flow from your pen. You're definitely destined to be a writer. :-) Like, it takes a great writer to be able to present such a simple thing, such an usual topic, something each one of us knows and thinks about, in such an expressive and creative manner.
There may have been a few grammatical errors here and there but pointing them out would be silly and pointless. :-P For, such amazing works don't deserve to be reviewed by pointing our petty errors. Really, hats off to your work and to you! Keep writing and keep improving. :-) Good luck.
Imperfection is beauty,
Madness is genius,
And it's better to be absolutely ridiculous
Than to be absolutely boring... :-D

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:14 am
TinyDancer says...

This is such a sweet concept, and you really nailed it. The spacing was a bit off, yes, but I still enjoyed the content! You have a good sense of flow and form. I only saw a few grammar mistakes, so good job on that! Keep writing!

~Jess
`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

“The circus arrives without warning.
No announcements precede it.
It is simply there,
When yesterday it was not.”

`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:40 pm
murtuza says...

Hey, Davies!

I love the concept of this. I think that everyone should try something like this. Writing a letter to yourself, that's a brilliant way for self-assessment and improve self-image. The frank and casual yet stern and brutally straight-forward narration is simply brilliant. It really does feel like your conscience speaking :)

There were however, some areas which were a bit off. Some words were abruptly cut of from one paragraph and the same line was continued on the next paragraph. I guess this was just some overlooked detail but nevertheless, I did appreciate the sentiment behind the lines. You're showing your creative side by writing this and I'm eager for your next! Keep the ink flowing and stay your talented self.

Murtuza
:)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:28 am
Misfit says...

Dear confused self,

I regret to inform you that you didn't quite...

Scratch that. Regrets are senseless. Everything happened just the way it should have. Why?

You are here today, being who you are, doing what you do, because of every piece of the past. Every single piece.

Thats right. Cheers to every scrape from falling off of your bike, every wrong answer on a test, every jerk that made their way into yourheart somehow, every avoidable argument that comes with

the denial of being wrong, every little white lie-every imperfection, every smudge on the canvas of your life has made up the art that is who you are today.

And every piece of art has its story. Isn't that what's most intriguing about it ? No two works are the same, for they can't be. Van Gogh is no Picasso.

Picasso went through blue phases, but never so blue that sending a part of ear was considered a gift of devotion.

You're probably wondering what I'm getting at, and why it's taking so long. But don't we ask that of ourselves more times than we know?

Why is it taking so long for me to be happy? Why is it taking so long for me to understand the theory of relativity? Why is it taking so long to

allow the world to read my thoughts? Why is it taking so long for me to change the world, just like I've always wanted to?

Your canvas is not completed just yet. The story of you has not reached the climax just yet. Aspire to become the writer you've always dreamed of,

but do it with love in your heart, hope on your sleeve, and leave your eyes wide open. I'm afriad you've missed some extravagant things on your quest through

life.

Love yourself a little more. Love opens the heart to a thousand different highways. Love for yourself can take you every place you'd want to go. Perhaps you

limited yourself to a single free way. Try turning around, love yourself a little more, and the end result will be in your favor. One who compares themselves

to others is one that isn't reading their own street signs. Don't speed up to catch up to the one in front of you, for they have their own destination.

You'll get to yours exactly on time, so never be afraid to take any detours. Never be afraid to allow some paint to drip on your canvas.

Do you get it, yet ? Am I loud and clear, confused self? Love yourself, love your work. Love your work, and so will others.

Sing and the world sings with you. I look forward to hearing from you again. But next time don't use your inside voice. Scream at the top of your

lungs. This isn't a library, this is life.

Sincerely,

Your future self

Hello, Misfit again with your review! This really is something special you have here. It's so inspiring. Sure, the spacing's a bit off and there's like, two grammarical errors. But I like to put that nonsense aside, get down to what's REAL within a piece. And this is honestly one of the best thing's I've every read on YWS. POST MORE, KIDDO. Forever may you write.

~ Misfit ~
“Destiny is usually just around the corner. Like a thief, a hooker, or a lottery vendor: its three most common personifications. But what destiny does not do is home visits. You have to go for it.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind

Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.
— Leonardo da Vinci