Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:45 pm
TinyDancer says...

What is it about the rain that brings calm, 

Yet urgency? 

Hope, 

Yet sadness? 

Peace, 

Yet disturbance? 

Why do the same drops that persuade you to dance so energetically under their shower sing you into a motionless sleep at night? 

It caresses, 

But stings. 

Whispers, 

But screams. 

Comforts, 

But exasperates. 

All emotion, 

Every feeling, 

Can be brought to the surface with just a short soak in the rain.

It toys with temperament.

The rain you just so spontaneously and happily danced in has all of a sudden turned you into a grouch who hates getting wet. 

So beautiful in its contradictions. 

It plays with the same orchestra over and over again, 

But each time the melody has been re-composed. 

It colors the earth the same shades, 

But never paints with the same brush.

It soothes you,

Angers you,

Helps you sleep,

Wakes you up.

It's so complex and just when you think you know how it's going to make you feel, 

It changes.

-Thanks to all of you guys for helping me improve this writing. I like it a lot better now, having followed your suggestions.-
Last edited by TinyDancer on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

“The circus arrives without warning.
No announcements precede it.
It is simply there,
When yesterday it was not.”

`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:13 pm
writingangel24xx says...

Why do the same drops that persuade you to dance so energetically under their shower sing you into a motionless sleep at night? I love this line. More lines like these would make the poem better/funner to read.

However, I don't agree with how you put your own thoughts about rain at the end because I thought the poem was nice and fun to explore by its self. I was thinking about other writers and how they use things to symbolize other things. For example, you use rain and connect it to human emotions. I think it would be cool if you wrote a poem that symbolized rain to human emotions, like by using a metaphor even by expanding this poem. With some work it would be even better. Keep up the good work!

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:16 pm
writingangel24xx says...

After re-reading the poem (I went too fast the first time) I actually read the bottom part more clearly. I liked it a lot better but if I were the writer I would still integrate those ideas into the body of the poem. Good luck!

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:28 am
Jennya says...

Hello, I have come to review.
Now the first thing I noticed was the strange structure. You seem to jump from short one word lines to a whole big paragraph. This is not necessarily bad but it is strange, I usually don't recommend this sort of thing unless one has a good reason, say that it visually represented rain drops.

Personally I like the short one word sort of feel, it really represents the rain drops, the lack of conjunctions is great, but your could have structured it differently because right now it looks a little messy.
I'm not sure your 'questions' are really questions. I'm not sure on that but the use of them is quite effective, creates a nice pause.
The first bits are quite good. I like the feel, tone and the wording is good, soft with lots of nice pauses. Not the last stanza is just a huge chunk. This should not be presented in huge chunks unless you have a good reason for it. As this is about rain, huge chunks of writing just don't seem appropriate to me.
You have suddenly switched form the pauses to long unbroken sentences. It reads like prose. I suggest you make some changes. The jump is a little strange to me. You haven't really changed the tone but you have changed the perspective, the structure, even the subject matter from the rain onto the narrators feelings.

I see the beginnings of a really great poem. I hope you continue with it.
Stay gold, Ponyboy - S.E. Hinton

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:35 pm
unmarkedterritory says...

Beautiful! I love the droplet format, although if you committed it more it would allow more of the insanely great contracting emotion. So the give you props to hitting such an emotional topic like emotions :P It is one of the hardest for a writer to even begin to write about. You have talent. This idea has even more potential then it has right now.Which is saying a lot considering how great this poem is! Congrats! Keep up the great work!

413 Reviews

Reviews: 413
Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:49 pm
Cailey says...

Like it so much!! You are very talented. I don't have very much of a review, but I will try and say something helpful. :D And, since it is review day I must review everything I read! And, since as soon as I started reading this I couldn't stop, and therefore I read the whole thing and now I must review. So, here goes.
I think you should reread the long lines and make them a bit shorter. Or split them into two lines, just so they don't go on much longer than the others. It was just a little distracting that some lines were so long and some were so short.
I didn't notice any grammar, spelling or punctuation mistakes. I might have missed them, you can only review so much before your mind starts skipping those tiny little mistakes that you caught at the beginnning of the day. :D
I can't think of any other comments on your piece, but it was very good, and I applaud you. :D Keep writing, I love it!
A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity. -Kafka

Look: A Link! https://caijobetweenthepages.wordpress.com/

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:01 pm
View Likes
Hiroku says...

Being a dried out person who absolutely adores the rain, the title immediately caught my attention. As I read on through your story, the website Rainymood.com popped in my head. After reading your work once, I opened up a new tab and opened Rainymood.com and re-read your words. It felt perfect.

I didn't really see any grammar problems or misspellings, so good job on that. The questions that you put in there remind me much of those philosophical questions like "Who am I?" "Where am I?" "Why am I here?" etc. Your work is really deep and really conjured up a lot of thought in my mind. Rain really is a majestic thing.

Keep up the amazing work and keep me posted on any more of your writings that have to do with Rain. :D

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:24 pm
Iggy says...

Hello there! I'll keep this nice and simple.

First off, nice use of repetition! I loved how easily the repetition flowed through-out the story! It was beautiful.

Second, the imagery is nice. However, I feel you could've done better to descibe the rain. Like using "dewdrop, mildew, tears". Maybe you could've described the sky like it was crying.

Third, the poem flowed easily. It was easy to understand and was well-written. Kudos.

God job, keep writing(:

- Ariel<3'
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:32 pm
MissingAngel says...

This is beautiful. It flows very nicely and is overall really good. Great imagery but try using other words to describe the rain.

TinyDancer wrote:Why do the same drops that persuade you to dance so energetically under their shower sing you into a motionless sleep at night? 

It caresses, 

But stings. 

Whispers, 

But screams. 

This is my favorite part. It's very true and the way you wrote the contradictions are put together very nicely. :)

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:42 pm
snowberry23 says...

Wow, this is something unlike I have ever seen before. I am actually a huge fan of rain. Thunder and lightning even crawled their way into my college essay. I actually just wrote a review discussing the ability to make a piece with a slightly overdone idea unique based on word choice and placement. Now, while I would never be one to say that rain is an overused topic, the effects rain has on society has been discussed in many great works. So when I saw your title, I got curious. What I like is by the first line, question in fact, you can tell your piece is different. In my eyes, your piece is true.

It brought me to an empty parking lot as it rained down.
It took me to my warm bed as I fall asleep listening to the pat pat of drops against my window.
It even took me to the time I was hiding under a tree from the rain due to my soaking wet dress.

I love the rain, but no piece I have read or written about it has been able to take me to specific memories, yours did, and that made me fall in love with this piece.
Thanks for letting me throw in my positive opinion; feel free to take a look at any of my works if you like.
Keep on writing,
~SnowBerry.
When nothing goes right, go left

I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
— Walt Disney