z

Young Writers Society

Dear Young Self

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:26 am
wonderland says...

Spoiler! :
So, there is this trending topic on twitter that is '#dearyoungself'. Quite honestly, I didn't think that one hundred and forty character was enough to tell young me what I wanted, so I wrote a letter. I'm definitely not looking for serious critiques. This is just for fun!

Dear Young Self

Darling, really. Yes, you're doing this 'life' thing well, even though there is better music you could listen too, better TV shows you could watch. I'm just here to give you some advice.

-Yes! Beads are amazing! They are shiny, some have letters, and some of them are shapes! I know your favorite is the red sparkly heart. You love sparkles. The thing is, though, that beads tend to go on string, and not in your nose. No, not even to prove a point to your older sister. This will end up with your parents actually rushing you to hospital, and have the bead vacuumed out, something your sister still references today. Not what you want.

-Yeah, mascots scare you. They scare you bad! But that doesn't mean you can see one, rip yourself away from your father, and dodge into a race lane to avoid one. Those poor runners. You may have scared a couple of them, plus your father. But it's okay. You do get chocolate.

-On the topic of chocolate, your sister will hold a stupid little Easter egg hunt for you, your brother, cousin and herself. Now, it isn't a good idea (says mom) to hoard all the candy for yourself. So, you get grounded. What you SHOULD do, is wait until their asleep, and then steal all their candy. Trust me. I know.

-Right now, you don't realize that Dinosaurs may be the most amazing creature that has ever lived. You're scared of them, but not as scared as you are of mascots. You're parents will take you to the zoo. When you get to the Dinosaur park, don't run away. They don't move yet! It's cool, brah. They're just figures.

-Ignore all cousins at all costs. They are annoying, and they yell. You will not have fun. Plus, this will lead your sister to have something hanging over your head. Boys. Have. Cooties! Leave! LEAVE!

-Kissing is for older kids, kay? No French kissing in the school playground.

-No! Stealing isn't cool. Also, before you can, your mother will catch you. Candy is tempting, yes, but you don't want it that badly. Back AWAY from the plastic bins, little girl!

-Fall Out Boy is super sick. Really. You'll grow up to love Patrick Stump more then life itself. So, yes, you sing your little heart out to Sugar and Dance Dance. You learn all those words and laugh at the music videos. Because you'll credit Fall Out Boy for lots in the future. Trust me.

-Please stop being shocked every time Brendon Urie says 'whore' in I Write Sins, Not Tragedies. It's the dang song, and you'll learn to love Panic! At The Disco just as much as you love Fall Out Boy.

-Please, please, please, please, please, please don't ever change, just because someone says you have too. Keep that smile. It's the prettiest thing about you, and you have dimples. Try your hardest to keep that little girl spirit, cause you'll grow up, and you'll want it back.

Lovingly
Older self.
Last edited by wonderland on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:32 am
stargazer9927 says...

I loved this! I have nothing to point out but I couldn't believe this was all true. You sound like you had quite the childhood :)
I could tell my younger self a lot to, but it would all be far too personal to post on YWS. But this made me laugh and I would have loved to have met you when I was a little kid. Trust me, I was weird too. Although I'm not sure about some of the things you mentioned.
Let's eat mom.
Let's eat, mom.
Good grammar saves lives :D

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:41 am
michaeld says...

This was AMAZING! It was an easy read and quite humorous! (probably my favorite combination :P) The only thing that I found wrong, was here:

wickedwonder wrote:-On the topic of Chocolate, you're sister will hold a stupid litele Easter egg hunt for you, your brother, cousin and herself. Now, it isn't a good idea (says mom) to hoard all the candy for yourself. So, you get grounded. What you SHOULD do, is wait until their asleep, and then steal all their candy. Trust me. I know.

The word 'chocolate' doesn't need to be capitalized and also 'litele' should be spelled 'little'. Other than those simple typos, this was really enjoyable to read! I'm thinking I might write one for myself! Keep writing! BRAVO
"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ~ Anton Chekhov

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:03 am
GrayLady says...

Hahaha(: you sounded like such an interesting little kid! This is so sweet and sentimental. I really like it; you're a great writer. You did, however, spell "little" wrong in that bit about the chocolate (which, by the way was hilarious. All of it was!) This seems a lot like some stuff I would like to tell my younger self...except for the mascot thing. That had to be my favorite! Keep writing, you're very good at it.

I think Amelia Earhart wants you to get some ice cream.
— SilverNight