z

Young Writers Society

My College Essay(I need to send it in by tomorrow!)

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:46 am
d@ydre@mer27 says...

My College Essay (on why I want to be a vet tech)
-Please tell me what you think, my eyes need a break!

I want to be a vet tech not only because of my love of animals, but also because of a desire inside me that wants to help every single one that I can have a chance at a better life. I can't save them all, but one at a time I can make a difference and with a vet tech degree I believe that I can achieve this goal to its fullest extent.

I first started contemplating a career in this field after I began volunteering at a local animal shelter almost two years ago. It progressed quickly from there, my boss offered me an incredible opportunity in the form of a paying internship which I quickly accepted and quit my other job in retail to work more at the shelter. It was a decision I won't ever regret making. I had found my passion!

Being there I have seen, learned, and done so much that Iam very proud of. Basic things such as cleaning cages, washing litterpans and scoops, as well as food and water bowls are a part of my daily routine along with medicating all the sick animals in the morning as well as in the evening. I have had the opportunity to observe and treat numerous ailments ranging from the more abnormal such as open wounds, abcesses, flea-bite dermatitis, and ringworm to the more common illnesses that affect a crowded shelter such as Upper Respitory Infections, giardia, intestinal parasites, borditella, and conjunctivitis.

Faced with these I have have administered oral medication, both in pill and liquid form, eye drops and ointments, subcutaneous IV fluids, force-feeding(when necessary), Lyme-dips, and vitamin supplements.
Also while at the shelter I have learned to vaccinate both intranasally and subcutaneously and draw blood from the saphenous and cephalic veins on cats to run the FIV/FeLV snap tests as well as how to hold while this is being done. I have also had the chance to learn how to microchip and hold for microchipping on cats, kittens, and rabbits. Lastly I have watched and distracted for over twenty euthanasias of the cats, kittens, rats, and rabbits that no longer have had any quality of life or else possessed reasons that went beyond the skills of a vet and could no longer be saved.

Just a few of the other things that I have witnessed but have not had the qualifications required to participate while working with our neighboring vets are as follows. A few dentals including one where a broken tooth had to be extracted, several spay and neuter surgeries, and lastly a complete exploratory surgery on a resident shelter cat, a distemper survivor, and a personal favorite of many us working there, where several biopsies were extracted of his liver, spleen, and intestinal tract which had been damaged beyond repair as a result of living many years with Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS.

This is a hard career and I recognize that, I know it won't be easy. I have already experienced the emotional and physical stress that comes along with a job in this field but when it gets tough I just think of the rewards that never fail to come. A lick on the hand and a purr from a grateful stray who just received his first real meal maybe since birth, or seeing the foster kittens that I've raised from two weeks old find a loving forever home. It's moments like these that make me realize how much I love my job!
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." ~courtesy of one of history's funniest men, Groucho Marx. ^_^

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:16 am
TheWalkinDude says...

Howdy, Dreamer!

I'm glad to here that you're planning on being a vet tech! I love animals a lot and I have a deep respect in my heart for the people that take care of them day in and day out. I really hope you make this!

Anyways, onto the few problems I found:

I want to be a vet tech not only because of my love of animals, but also because of a desire inside me that wants to help every single one that I can have a chance at a better life. I can't save them all, but one at a time I can make a difference and with a vet tech degree I believe that I can achieve this goal to its fullest extent.
I'm not sure why, but the two sentences in this paragraph seem a little mixed up in wording, mostly in the reded areas.

Just a few of the other things that I have witnessed but have not had the qualifications required to participate while working with our neighboring vets are as follows: (needs to be a colon there) A few dentals including one where a broken tooth had to be extracted, several spay and neuter surgeries, and lastly a complete exploratory surgery on a resident shelter cat, a distemper survivor, and a personal favorite of many us working there, where several biopsies were extracted of his liver, spleen, and intestinal tract which had been damaged beyond repair as a result of living many years with Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS.

Other than those two problems, I didn't find anything else that needed fixing. Nothing else confused me (well, besides all the technical terms) and nothing else seemed misspelled or written wrong. Again, I really hope you make it and I hope you have a long, successful career as a vet tech!
I'm striving to be the Architect of the Apocalypse, Master of the Massacre, Ruler of the Rapture, and the Führer of the Fatal.

"It is the tale, not he who tells it." --Stephen King

Take THAT, society!

I do all of the training for Walgreen’s cashiers.
— The Devil