z

Young Writers Society

Monologue

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:26 am
EloquentDragon says...

Title self explanatory, this is written from the perspective of a politician during the American Civil War.

A Boatload of Sorrow

Most people wouldn’t think to bother about asking me. Course, I probably would not have asked me myself. But, I suppose the point to both sides would be that, this war, ain’t what we thought it was.

When I entered politics, I thought I could, well, to be honest, make a lot of money. But I never expected that I, Theodore, Bartholomew Hezekiah Owens, would get caught up in a scrabble over “states rights.” (sighs and shakes head) I should have listened to my momma. God bless her fat, rotten toothed soul. She always told my to do the right thing, “to your own self be true,” is what my momma always said. But you wanna know something? My momma is most likely keeling over in her grave, least now days, with the war and all. I suppose it just goes to show you that cold, hard, dollars ain’t what they crack themselves up to be. But whether they are or ain’t, I put my ticket on the political bandwagon anyways. (Should’ve stayed with the hair brush making business.) Don’t know why I joined up with these so-called “democrats,” but I spose’ it’s better than affiliating with all them freedom fanatics…aboli…aboll…ablishts...abolitionists. Humph, but these democrats, I gotta tell you something, they are a bunch off…stubborn headed mules if I ever saw em.’ They say one thing…then do another thing. Always moping around, talking about how, those republican’s ruining everything. Hang em’ all! Says I. But no one listens to me. The old “crazy baconer.” Well if I had half a mind to, I’d be fixen to give all them politics men a piece off my own choice words I would. Then we’ll see what they got to say about us southerners.

An’ speaking of which, who had the bright idea to start this war anyway? I heard them talking about the first shot being fired at Sumter, but I only have half a mind to believe what’s in the news these days. I mean, just look at this clipping from them folks (holds up news paper clipping and reads slowly) July 28, 1861. “Stonewall tramples over battle spectators”. Now, I may not be the shiniest cob in the corn, but how is a stonewall liable to get up, and run over a body? An’ another thing, who in their right sided tin can is gonna sit there, pretty as you please, and chow down in the middle of a war? THAT’S why I don’t believe the news. They may be making a boatload of money off this issue, but we democrats are making a boatload of sorrow. Specially’ cause Lincoln got elected. But you know, I like Mr. Lincoln. He’s a smart egg, and I reckon he’ll get us out of this fix right quickly he will. That is, if he doesn’t keep picking the low downest’ generals this side of the Mississippi!

As to where I stand on the matter? Well, I ain’t a democrat, that’s fer sure. Am I for slavery? No I ain’t. I just ain’t right to treat a person like they ain’t a person, if you catch my gist. But, I know I’m fer this war to be done and over with. Just take a look at my pocketbook, for instance. (pulls out pocket book) its thinner than Uncle Min’s dairy cow! And so, as to what I plan to do about this whole issue? I don’t rightly know, only that, I’m going to try and put an end to it all.
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:08 am
Atrevido says...

EloquentDragon wrote: Humph, but these democrats, I gotta tell you something, they are a bunch off…stubborn headed mules if I ever saw em.’

This was the only part I could't quiet understand. It's either you forgot to continue your sentence or you were trying to making it as if the the writer was threatening the democrats and his voice trailed away.

Other than that, it's a great piece of writing ! Well Done!

-Ahms
The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did. -- T.E Lawrence

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:22 pm
hayley10019 says...

EloquentDragon wrote:
Humph, but these democrats, I gotta tell you something, they are a bunch off…stubborn headed mules if I ever saw em.’

When he says that he is refraining from saying other things about them, that probably are not fit to say when you are in a legal system. So instead he says "stubborn headed mules.." which is a good comparision because we all know that the democratic symbol is indeed a mule...
Thus creating another "name" for them besides other names he could have called them
Writing is where I can get away...

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:12 am
Warrior Princess says...

Hello there, love! I'm Warrior Princess, and I will be reviewing your monologue today. Actually, it's going to be a pretty lame review, just a bunch of little technical nitpicks, because this is a great piece and doesn't require that much polishing.

Most people wouldn’t think to bother about asking me. Course, I probably would not have asked me myself. But, I suppose the point to both sides would be that, this war, (No comma is needed after "this war") ain’t what we thought it was.

When I entered politics, I thought I could, well, to be honest, make a lot of money. Haha. But I never expected that I, Theodore, (No comma after "Theodore" Bartholomew Hezekiah Owens, would get caught up in a scrabble over “states' rights.” (sighs and shakes head) Stage directions should be given in italics in order to distinguish them from other phrases in parentheses. I should have listened to my momma. God bless her fat, rotten toothed soul. Haha again. She always told me to do the right thing; “to your own self be true,” is what my momma always said. But you wanna know something? My momma is most likely keeling over in her grave, least nowadays, with the war and all. I suppose it just goes to show you that cold, hard, (No comma after "hard") dollars ain’t what they crack themselves up to be. But whether they are or ain’t, I put my ticket on the political bandwagon anyways. (Should’ve stayed with the hair brush making business.) Funny! :) Don’t know why I joined up with these so-called “democrats,” but I s'pose it’s better than affiliating with all them freedom fanatics…aboli…aboll…ablishts...abolitionists. I like how he stumbles over the word, and he a politican and all. . . . Humph, but these democrats, I gotta tell you something, they are a bunch off (I think that "off" was meant to be "of?") …stubborn-headed mules if I ever saw em.’ The apostrophe should come before the "em" as opposed to after, because it's the "th" that you're cutting off. They say one thing…then do another thing. Always moping around, talking about how, those republican’s ruining everything. "Hang em’ all!" says I. But no one listens to me. The old “crazy baconer.” I like that term lol. Well if I had half a mind to, I’d be fixen to give all them politics men (Them politics men! XD) a piece off (Once again, I think you mean "of") my own choice words, I would. Then we’ll see what they got to say about us southerners. "Southerners" should probably be capitalized.

An’ speaking of which, who had the bright idea to start this war anyway? I heard them talking about the first shot being fired at Sumter, but I only have half a mind to believe what’s in the news these days. I mean, just look at this clipping from them folks (holds up news paper clipping and reads slowly) July 28, 1861. “Stonewall tramples over battle spectators”. Now, I may not be the shiniest cob in the corn, but how is a stonewall liable to get up, and run over a body? Wow. Epic fail, speaker dude. . . . An’ another thing, who in their right sided tin can is gonna sit there, pretty as you please, and chow down in the middle of a war? THAT’S why I don’t believe the news. They may be making a boatload of money off this issue, but we democrats are making a boatload of sorrow. Specially’ (Once again, the apostrophe should go before the word in this case) cause Lincoln got elected. But you know, I like Mr. Lincoln. He’s a smart egg, and I reckon he’ll get us out of this fix right quickly, he will. That is, if he doesn’t keep picking the low-downest’ (The apostrophe is not needed here because nothing is being cut off) generals this side of the Mississippi! I like this sentence. :)

As to where I stand on the matter? Well, I ain’t a democrat, that’s fer sure. But he just said "we democrats are making a boatload of sorrow." Am I for slavery? No I ain’t. I just ain’t right to treat a person like they ain’t a person, if you catch my gist. Why, then, was he so disapproving of the abolitionists? But, I know I’m fer this war to be done and over with. Just take a look at my pocketbook, for instance. (pulls out pocket book) It's thinner than Uncle Min’s dairy cow! And so, as to what I plan to do about this whole issue? I don’t rightly know, only that, I’m going to try and put an end to it all.

Whew! :D Like I said, this is a great piece with serious potential. Your characterization of the speaker is superb, as is your use of dialect. And it's just funny. You have a few small kinks to work out, but other than that, great job!

~Warrior Princess
You must be swift as the coursing river,
With all the force of a great typhoon,
With all the strength of a raging fire,
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:29 pm
EloquentDragon says...

Thanks W.P.!
I reckon I'd a better set down an' get ta fixin' those thangs. (;))
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

Poetry is like a bird, it ignores all frontiers.
— Yevgeny Yevtushenko