z

Young Writers Society

Through the eyes of Ginger: A New Home

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:05 am
e36002 says...

This is just a short story I wrote about when I brought my dog home for the first time. I tried to tell the story from her perspective. Keep that in mind as you read.

It was nearly August, when a home was finally found for me. I never thought that I would be leaving the barn, but my brothers and sisters insisted that it would. We were all convinced when a young couple came to the farm and took Gray away. He was the abnormal one. We were all border collie/golden retriever mixes (more commonly know as mutts) and Gray was all gray, unlike the rest of us.
But I remember the day I was taken away the farmer. I didn't want to ever leave the farmer or the barn. It was almost ten'o'clock when I heard the van coming down the long driveway. It definitely did not sound like the truncks I was used to hearing drive by. My sister, whose head was resting on my stomach, quickly put her head up. My brother looked around and yawned as well when he heard the van. I was intrigued, but decided I wanted to sleep rather than investigate right now. We all put our heads down as a mother and two daughters emptied from the van and walked into the farmhouse. I'd almost fallen back to sleep when I was startled by a sudden noise again. This time I was the first one to put my head up. I stood up and put my paws against the fence as I realised that the newcomers and the farmer were coming into the barn. I pushed myself of the fence in a stretch and walked into the barn. My brothers and sister followed silently. We all stopped when we saw the farmers daughter coming toward us. She quickly picked up me and my sister under our arms, leaving our lower bosy to hang and drag on the floor, and dragged us to the door. The newcomers and the farmer were already in the barn.
"Aw, they're so cute!" the younger sister said. I later found out her name was Rebecca. The older one was Elizabeth.
Elizabeth wasn't sure what to do or what to say. She just stood there staring at us with a huge smile on her face.
"They look so different," The mother finally said. It was true. My brother and my sister were completely blonde. I, along with another brother and sister, were golden with black snouts and tails. "I think I like the yellow ones better."
She picked up my sister and started patting her. Elizabeth did, too, but she certainly wasn't as excited about it.
"I like the other ones better," she said finally. "They look so much cuter."
Cuter? I thought to myself. Where have I heard that term before? Then I remembered. The young couple had muttered that word before they took gray away. I decided to move away from them. I started sniffing the ground and walking around. My sister suddenly jumped on top of me and we started wrestling. My other siblings (except the one the mother was holding) started playing too. We started chasing each other around the barn. I almost forgot the newcomers, but was startled when I realised that Elizabeth had been watching me the whole time. I started moving away from the others and exploring on my own again. I walked by the hay, but I quickly turned around when I heard a noise behind me. It was Elizabeth. She was standing right behind me. I didn't have time to run; she quickly picked me up and brought me over to her sister and mother.
"I think I like this," she said. I started squirming and she laughed. "Look, adventurous. She like to explore. Didn't you two see her wrestling with the other puppies? I think she'd be so much fun to play with!"
"But this ones so much cuter!" Rebecca said, referring to my blonde sister.
"So?" Elizabeth replied. "Just because she's cuter doesn't mean she isn't harder to take care of or less fun to play with!"
I'd had enough of this. I was still squirming, but Elizabeth only tightened her grip on me and started patting me on the head. I wouldn't have minded if it ws the farmer, but she was an outsider! I bit her finger and, to my surprise, she laughed again, hugged me tighter and gave me a kiss on the head.
"Aw, she's nibbling at my finger!" she said excitedly.
"That's not good!" Rebecca retorted. "We don't want a mean dog."
The mother sighed. "I still think we should get this one. And Rebecca's right. We don't want a dog that's vicious."
Elizabeth rolled her eyes as she responded.
"It's a puppy. She's doing it so her little teethy-weethies can grow." She playfully grabbed at my snout as she said "teethie-weethies" and I opened my mouth to bite her again. She grabbed my large tooth and wouldn't let go.
The mother sighed again, but finally put my sister down. "Well, if that's the one you really want."
Rebecca, who had been against the idea of taking me home, jumped up and down excitedly. A huge smile showed on Elizabeth's face as she let go of my tooth and kissed me on the head again. I struggled more as she wlked out of the barn with me in her arms. I almost succeeded in escaping from her, but she caught be rear end and brought me back up into her arms again. She hugged me tightly, but not enough to hurt me. "Don't you go running off, you naughty little puppy," She whispered in my ear.
She turned and walked back into the barn. She picked up a towel that I had been sleeping on and wrapped it around me.
"There, is that better?" she whispered. I guess she thought I was shaking because I was cold.
She walked back into the barn. I saw the mother hand a piece of paper to the farmer as she put me in the back seat of the van. She put the towel in the middle of the seat and REbecca and Elizabeth sat on both sides of me. I almost started whimpering as the door closed, but I would soon find out that my new home wasn't so bad after all.

I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
— John Cage