z

Young Writers Society

September 11

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:08 am
Galatea says...

A friend of mine named Erin--her aunt had a doughnut from the Krispy Kream at the base of the towers every morning, then walked across the street to work. She was just leaving when she heard the most terrible sound she had ever heard. The first plane smashing into the building.

ick.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:09 am
Supermal says...

When I awoke that morning to go to school, I turned on the TV and it was all over the news. I was sort of flabbergasted.
Sometime later that week, perhaps even later that day, all the schools in my town were shut down and we all had to go home because there was a plane that was making an emergency landing. Someone had reported that one of those High jacking alarms could be heard on the ground, but it turned out just to be low fuel.
We were all hoarded outside like in a fire-drill with our classes and had to wait for our parents to arrive. None of the teachers would tell us what was going on, they just kept on telling us it was nothing to worry about, but a student had one of those mini-radio's (who ever thought they'd come in handy, eh?) and we found out. Unfortunately, it wasn't the best quality and some kids started saying that the plane was going to try and land on our roof (eesh :roll: ). Kids, eh?
I was so nervous and confused. Everyone was, in light of the recent events.
My mom didn't end up showing until way later because she had been asleep at home at the school hadn't been able to contact her. Finally, her friend, who's daughter went to my school, phoned her and told her about it.
The plane had come in from China, I think. A boy in my class had both his parents on the plane. He had been told what was going on.
Now I live in a very small town where the most kinds of planes we get are float, so when the plane landed, we could all tell. The airport is just on a hill above the town and you can see the fence around it and when the plane arrived, we could see the tail above the trees.
It was such a scary experience and I can't imagine what it would have been like if it were on the same scale as 9/11. I really can't even imagine it.
~Michelle~
Who needs friends when you've just bought a brand new pen?

Random avatar

Reviews: 67
Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:08 am
The Silent Aviator says...

damit i just wrote two pages on this and accidentally deleted them. :evil:

43 Reviews

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:11 am
Supermal says...

damit i just wrote two pages on this and accidentally deleted them. :evil: {The Silent Aviator}
That must suck :? (couldn't get the quote to work)
~Michelle~

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:00 am
Elelel says...

I'm Australian, so like some others I'm not sure if I can really help you, but I'll give it a go anyway.

I'm not sure when it happend our time. It was a Monday morning when I heard, so to us it probably happened some time in Tuesday night ... if that makes sense. It was on the radio in the morning. I didn't really know what was going on, I was 11. Mum told me and my brother and sister that there had been some terrible accident in America. She din't use the word accident, I just couldn't think of a better word to phrase it. She said some people had deliberatly killed themselves and a lot of other people. For some reason I kept thinking there was a train involved. Of course, my brother being my brother, he started a discussion on suicide bombing in the car on the way to school. He always talks and asks questions about stuff. Why the sky is blue (when he was younger) are all politicians idiots ... everything from science to morals has been tackled in that car. So by the time I got to school I actually had a pretty clear idea about the principles of suicide bombing, without actaully knowing what had happened.
Our teacher did tell us the twin towers in America had collapsed ... but I didn't know what the twin towers were so it didn't really help me much. People were talking about it all day. Instead of talking about their lives or what happening on the weekend there were huddles of people discussing what had happend. Well, they talked about the weekend to, but this more.
Either that day, or on a following day, my class actaully behaved resonably intelligently and we even had a spontaneous class discussion about some person who had predicted something that was really vague but could have been a prediction that the twin towers would collapse.

When I got home, I saw it on the news. I thought it was terrible so many people had died. You know, I forgot that it was Americans. The people who died and were affected. They were just people. It had happened to America, the polititcians were American, but the people were just people.

The idea that people had flown those planes into the buildings on purpose was ... well the least strange bit really. I'd grown up with Major Discussions In The Car, and that, I think, has given me a sense of how things are. I'd heard about suicide bombing, and things like that, it had be explained to me the there were people out there who hated America ... and ... I understood that. I didn't and don't agree with it, I think it's terrible, I wish it hadn't happened, it upset me, but I didn't get a huge sense of incomprehension at the idea of it. It made sense, if a sick, twisted form of sense that should never be repeated.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

Random avatar

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:14 am

Supermal wrote:damit i just wrote two pages on this and accidentally deleted them. :evil: {The Silent Aviator}
That must suck :? (couldn't get the quote to work)

True, Supermal, true. :)

Random avatar

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:27 am

Now for a summary of what I accidentally deleted...

Seriously.

I have a somewhat ironic tale. Years before the terrorists struck New York, my friend and I were sitting in front of his computer's monitor inside of his large Dallas -suburb house. We were playing Microsoft Flight Simulator 1998.We didn't know how to truly "fly" the planes in the game, so we just screwed around. Being eight-year old kids, we'd crash our planes for no reason except fun.We flew/crashed in big cities often.

I vividly remember giggling with my buddy as I rammed my simmulated airliner into the twin towers...

Eerie, isn't it?

43 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:34 am
Supermal says...

The Silent Aviator wrote:Now for a summary of what I accidentally deleted...

Seriously.

I have a somewhat ironic tale. Years before the terrorists struck New York, my friend and I were sitting in front of his computer's monitor inside of his large Dallas -suburb house. We were playing Microsoft Flight Simulator 1998.We didn't know how to truly "fly" the planes in the game, so we just screwed around. Being eight-year old kids, we'd crash our planes for no reason except fun.We flew/crashed in big cities often.

I vividly remember giggling with my buddy as I rammed my simmulated airliner into the twin towers...

Eerie, isn't it?

That is seriously eerie. :(
~Michelle~

Random avatar

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:57 pm

Shadow Knight wrote:I got up early in the morning to watch TV, the news was on, I saw the twin towers had been decimated. To be honest I didn't care then, and I don't care now *shrugs*

Although your countrymen didn't die in the attacks, 9/11 is one reason Austrailia sent troops to Iraq to help the Coalition...

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:02 am
Jojo says...

I'm from India, probably one of the furthest places from where the planes crashed into 'The Two Towers' , but maybe you'll like to know how even I reacted. I was 12 at that time. I was reading for my exams in the evening when my mother rushed into the room and announced... I jumped up and caught CNN for the rest of the night, my grammar book lying unattended on my table for the rest of the night.
The Football Freak.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:24 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I remember that day pretty well. Time does a lot to heal it, but it is still there. It was a normal morning for me. My goal was to get downstairs, that way I could play some video games. I turned on my T.V. to switch it to video games, when I was confronted with the two towers there, just burning. The news media was running footage of the attacks, they showed the same stuff over and over to the point where I can easily recall the images, several years afterwards.

New information came in quickly. 1 plane had the pentagon, two had hit the twin towers, and one had crashed in a field in Pennsylvania. I believe one of the towers had already collapsed when I turned on the T.V. There were normally 50,000 people in those buildings, they had no idea how many were actually there at the time. I watched the towers fall over and over, from multiple angles, as the news played the footage over and over.

I would later see some news footage on Spanish Channels showing people jumping out the windows to their deaths from the towers. One after another. I saw footage of muslims dancing in the streets in the middle east, in Egypt and elsewhere. I remember all the news footage, it is imbedded in my memory.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:06 am
ummcowsareawesome says...

i was in 2nd grade and i remember my grandma calling my mom to turn on the news. When i heard my mom gasp, i ran into the room and saw planes crashing into a tall building. My mom explained to me what happened and the rest of my day was as normal as any other 2nd graders, not caring.

From then on my elementry school held patriotic pledge things where we honered those who died. It got old though.

its scary how it happened on 9-11 like 911, freaky weird....
LoveHorseshoe79 (4:28:03 PM): the worst thing is to make someone you love miserable because they are so scared to like someone else because you are always hovering over them

Yes, I know, I'm very wise and knowing.

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:51 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

God, it doesn't seem all that long ago.....
I was at school all day....then got home soon after the second plane crashed....first thing I heard when I opened the front door was sceaming from the tv, and when I saw the pictures.....
It's so sad, all these people dying for...nothing. Not just in the terror attacks on the UK and US, but those innocent people in Iraq....I'm not saying the war was a bad idea, because clearly Saddam Hussain HAD to be overturned....but the after effects are disgusting...how can anyone behave as so many people are doing?
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.
— Albus Dumbledore