z

Young Writers Society

A Cat's Game

167 Reviews

Reviews: 167
Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:51 pm
confetti says...

Spoiler! :
I guess this is just something I wanted to try out. I've never written something in anything other than a human's perspective. It's quite short I didn't feel like it needed to be longer. Anyways, review your hearts out.

I stare at the fat human from my spot on the windowsill. What is he always staring at? It makes no sense to me. A disgusting sound spills from his lips. Gross.
The human scratches his stomach and slouches against the back of the couch. I think I’ve seen enough of this today. I jump to the ground and perch beside the front door. He doesn’t seem to notice, so I let loose a shrill meow. The human makes eye contact with me, and for a moment, I think that he’ll get off his fat ass to open the door for me. I meow once more, but he only laughs. Stupid human.
“Frank, let the Goddamned cat outside!” another human calls from upstairs. I really do love when the fat human gets in trouble.
As he stands from his spot on the couch, the human grunts. There’s a large indent in the cushion that he was sitting on. He towers over me, stomach hanging out of his shirt. Lovely. “Would you like to go outside, Mittens?”
I don’t give him the satisfaction of a reply. “Meow, Mittens!” he coos, trying to coax a response from me. I stare at him smugly. Not today, fat man. Is it wrong that I get a sort of twisted pleasure from playing this game?
“Meow, or you sure as hell ‘aint goin’ outside,” he grumbles. If I could, I would roll my eyes. I know he’ll give in soon; he doesn’t have the patience to win. I’ve got this game in the bag.
I stare back defiantly and toss my tail back and forth. The human claps his hands in front of my face, making an unintelligent noise. Does he have no shame? I really do wish he’d make this fast, I’m dying to catch myself a mouse.
We both glare at each other for a moment. Finally, the fat human throws his hands in the air, exasperated. My eyes follow his hands from his pockets to the doorknob. Yes, that’s right; throw in the towel while you still can.
He opens the door wide and I walk out a champion.
Last edited by confetti on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads."
— Dr. Seuss

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:14 am
iampaulop says...

What a cat! I love the way you put the story in the cat's perspective. Did it happen to you? Cause it did to me!
Anyway,
Very interesting story, I am not bored or anything maybe because it was short? But I prefer it to be like this :)

“Frank, let the Goddamned cat outside!” the woman human calls from upstairs

There's nothing wrong about this story grammatically. I just didnt like the way WOMAN HUMAN sounds. I dont know but maybe change it a little? Anyway that's just my opinion.

Sorry for my very short review. Keep writing and God Bless! ( wait a minute! Did you continue the Harry Potter Twitterized? I would love to read another one! thanks )
It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities

Paul Zione

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:03 pm
Phoenix23 says...

Hey, this was a good piece. Funny and witty :). I really got some interesting insight into a cat's perspective. I will sure remember this the next time I try to shoo a cat from the window :). A thoroughly entertaining work. Keep writing and best of luck :)
If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!
- Shel Silverstein

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:10 pm
TinyDancer says...

I'm not really a cat person, but I really liked your piece. It was interesting to take a look into the mind of an animal. I always love that. I didn't see any spelling/grammar mistakes, which was nice. Keep up the good work :)
`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

“The circus arrives without warning.
No announcements precede it.
It is simply there,
When yesterday it was not.”

`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:42 am
joshuapaul says...

THIS IS GOOD - TAKE IT SOMEWHERE.

(I've started titling reviews, see above, wellIhaven'tstartedthisisaoneoff.)

So this is fantastic, I'm not going to delve into great details because it was too damn short to extract any issues. I will say this though, this premise, this framing device is so well handled I would challenge you to extend it to something serious. Put the cat into a home, have it show affection between two in a couple. Have the relationship break down and them fight over who get's what, hurling it all over the apartment, have the cat hide under a bed listening to breaking glass and slamming doors. Then have them fight over her, call it something vague and suggestive 'pieces,' or 'the little things.' Write this story for me and I will critique it, I will take it and write it with you adding what I can. We will change the world.

Forgive me, I'm tired. But dead serious. Take this and make it great, it is fun as is but you are better, don't waste this wonderful framing device on this light piece, blow minds.

Oh, and read this
http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl- ... in-dog.htm

Right now.

Seriously, it's probably one of the most memorable stories I have read and it will give you an idea how you can get away with serious cat-tails(all pun, baby). Also read this,
http://www.carversite.com/story.html

/Tired-stupor-rant
Night.
Read my latest

"Come quickly, I am drinking the stars!"
— Dom Pérignon