z

Young Writers Society

Creation Without Explanations

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:11 am
Way2Dawn says...

The following is completely opinionated and may or may not run parallel with your thoughts, regardless read with an open mind.

What motivates you to write, create, and/or re-create? What scientific explanation describes how we as humans are able to weave worlds out of nothing? To create masterpieces from scratch? To have the ability to orchestrate music, yet in reality we are deaf. Yes, I am well aware that there are multiple explanations regarding the human psyche what is to blame for our creativity, yet I wonder how the hell you can explain how it got there. If one believes in evolution by what means does nature decide that a blind man can create modern masterpieces? For what reason are we able to weave such beautiful art though it is unnecessary for our overall survival? Do you believe it is a divine gift? Could it truly be understood by scientific means? Or is it all just coincidental?

Moreover, I would truly like to know what motivates you to create. Personally I need the assistance of music or an particular image(s) to get me started and afterward I am able to write as long as needed. For example I am writing this now at 12 midnight simply because I heard an all to familiar song. Anyways I would like to hear your opinions, thoughts, etc. Should you have the time leave a comment down below.
Last edited by Way2Dawn on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.Mejia

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:44 pm
leebass says...

Hi, did you post this in the right place? Are you asking for this to be critiqued?

To answer your question, personally i enjoy listening to music while typing and thinking about things. I find the type of music influences the style of writing dramatically as well, so if i want to write something ominous and foreboding i listen to something dark and slow.

I don't think it's nature that 'decides' who is creative or not. It is something you have to work at, the same with learning anything. You have to learn how to be creative, it takes perseverance. Taking your example, does the blind man work hard and create masterpieces because he has a deep love for music and therefore plays for that reason, or is he just 'born with it'? I think some people are interested in and passionate about certain things more than other people, and this makes them want to learn more. If you love doing something, this motivates you to do it more and you get more out of it. Some people are interested in Maths and so they pursue that, i don't think they are born with a natural gift for it.

Just my opinion though, and I don't mean to be pedantic but it's 'motivates you' not 'motives you'. :)

I’ll paraphrase Thoreau here... Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness, give me truth.
— Christopher Johnson McCandless