z

Young Writers Society

NaNoEdMo?

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:47 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Oh... well... I still couldn't do that. I have waaaaay too many things that I need/want to change.

And did I say eleven hours and twenty minutes? I meant thirteen hours and twelve minutes. :wink:

*prods the rest of them to go do some editing*
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:15 am
smaur says...

... argh. I've only done five hours of editing. Forty-five more to go.

On the bright side, chapter one is more or less edited (for now, anyway) and I can finally get cracking on chapter two. Although I wish they'd hurry up and figure out how to make the Progress Bars work. They're so lovely and motivational.

I'll just have to settle with my own crappy version of it ...
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

447 Reviews

Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:41 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I'm up to a little under fifteen hours. That will change dramatically today though (if I have my way).

And I wish that they would get those progress bars up too! I don't know how to put together my own version of it... *sighs* maybe I should just start figuring out what percentage I have done and just be content with a number.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

131 Reviews

Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:29 pm
smaur says...

Well, if YWS enabled HTML, I'd be able to show you the progress bar I made. (Actually, if you know rudimentary HTML, I might be able to show you how to make one ...) It's kind of cute, if you ignore the fact that I'm only 17% of the way through my editing. *cough*

Okay, today I'm hitting at least ten hours. This is getting kind of pathetic.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

447 Reviews

Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:33 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I took a course on HTML coding last year and got decent grades, so bring on the cool little progress bar!! lol.

I haven't calculated percentages yet. I'm getting to it. But I have 20 hours and 27 minutes logged as of today.

But I haven't worked on it any today and that's really bumming me out. I haven't had an long stints on the computer because my brother has needed it for schoolwork. And editting by hand is a pain in the neck because of all the things I'm adding in. (People say that in editing, your work becomes shorter. So far this has not been true for me. I'm deleting left and right, but I keep adding things back in! My word count at the end of the rough draft was 83,000... It's up to 91,000 now and climbing!)
Boo. SPEW is watching.

131 Reviews

Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:46 am
smaur says...

Hmm. HTML course, eh?

Okay, this is what you do.

Copy and paste the following code into a Notepad document:

<html>
<style>
.prog-border {
height: 15px;
width: 205px;
background: #fff;
border: 1px solid silver;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}
.prog-bar {
height: 11px;
margin: 2px;
padding: 0;
background: #C9DDEC;
}
</style>

<div class="prog-border">
<div class="prog-bar" style="width: 17%;">
</div>
</div>
</html>

Then save the Notepad document as [insertnamehere].html (Except, instead of going [insertnamehere] you, well, insert a filename of your choice. Sans the square brackets, of course.)

Then you update it regularly. How? Let's say you have, for example, 30 hours completed out of 50. You calculate the percentage (30 divided by 50, multiplied by 100) and plug it into the HTML code right here:

<div class="prog-border">
<div class="prog-bar" style="width: 17%;">
</div>
</div>
</html>

See the bolded "17"? Replace that with "60" (if you've done 30 hours, that would be 60%). Save and reload the HTML page, and — congratulations, you have your progress bar.

... hopefully, that makes sense. If it doesn't work, PM me or post here or something, and I'll try to help. Like I said before, it's a crappy makeshift version — not nearly as awesome as an actual progress bar would be. According to the Nanoedmo site, they're still trying to figure out how to make these work ... *sigh*

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:02 pm
Myth says...

I've only done about 30mins of editting so far.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

131 Reviews

Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:33 pm
smaur says...

Doe wrote:I've only done about 30mins of editting so far.

... and suddenly I feel reassured about my crappy eight hours ...

;)

447 Reviews

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:12 am
Duskglimmer says...

Smaur - that's a nifty little code there, now isn't it... *sets up her progress bar, even if it's only for her own satisfaction*

And speaking of progress... I just crossed the half-way mark today... I'm sitting at twenty five hours and fifty one minutes. Not exactly where I should be, but hey... I'll catch up tomorrow. (Saturdays rock my socks *grins*).
Boo. SPEW is watching.

820 Reviews

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:23 pm
Myth says...

2h 30mins my novel is so much better now, the typos are gone and I've fixed a few repetitive descriptions.

'...'

447 Reviews

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:11 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Up to 29 hours and some odd number of minutes (I can't remember right now). I didn't catch up as much as I would have liked on Saturday. In fact... I slipped seven minutes behind on Saturday... *growls*

But I couldn't get at the computer all day because my parents decided that it was time to do some "housework". Basically? We cleaned.
Boo. SPEW is watching.

131 Reviews

Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:15 pm
smaur says...

Ah, crap. I don't think I'll be able to clock 42 hours with the remaining two weeks — not because it isn't possible on its own (in fact, it very much so is) but because I have loads and loads and loads of schoolwork to get cracking on and ... I must get cracking on it. :roll:

Having said that, I'll still work on editing my novel — hopefully I'll get at least 25 hours. Not likely, but it would be nice.

820 Reviews

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:25 am
Myth says...

10 hours and counting.

'...'

447 Reviews

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:27 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I crossed the 50 hour line this afternoon at 1:30 (yes, I do remember the exact time). So how about all of you?

I feel really weird. People on the NaNoEdMo forum were talking about how much they cut from thier novel and how they lost thousands of words. I started the mont with an 83,000 word count and, um... I have a 101,000+ word count now. is that odd?

Besides that, I'm really pretty pleased with the month. It is no longer painful for me to go back and read my early chapters and I succeeded in providing more complete explanations for certain things. Oh, and I have successfully renamed one of my chracters without feeling like I completely changed him. *grins*
Boo. SPEW is watching.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:46 pm
Snoink says...

LOL! Dusky, that's friggin' awesome.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts.
— LEGO Batman