z

Young Writers Society

My First NaNoWriMo

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:25 pm
Tabithalillian says...

Hey every one! This is my first time participating in national novel writing month. And I am super stoked. I just have a few questions and concerns that people can comfort me about. First off the story can be totally awful as long as it is at least 50000 words right? And when we are writing it do we have to edit it or can we just let the words come out like we hear in ours heads the first time around then edit next month? And any tips on keeping your plot exciting to you as an author so I dont run out of steam on November fifteenth and totally give up? Thanks every one and I have my first section of my novel posted on my account here if any one wants to check it out.
-Tabitha
Living in a tower

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:08 pm
Twit says...

1. Yep.
2. Do not edit. Heck, no.
3. Good question. I wish I knew the answer. Lol. I don't know. Just make sure you love your characters; you'll discover loads more things about them when you let them loose without a leash.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:20 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

Well, this is my first NaNoWriMo too! So I can't exactly speak from experience. But as for running out of steam, I have found it helpful to write in mass amounts. Write when you have an idea or when you really want to. Don't force yourself. On the first day of NaNo when I was super excited, I wrote several thousand words. When you write in mass amounts only when you are excited to do so, you'll increase your word count without running out of steam.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:18 am
Hippie says...

It's a bit late now, but one of the most helpful things you can do is planning. It's easy to run out of steam if you get to a bit and don't know what should happen next. You're allowed to do as much planning before November, so that when it comes time for Nano you can hammer it straight out. I also find that helps get you enthusiastic becasue you've got the whole idea prepared and all you have to do is wait.

Next year maybe. Still, I'd advise you do an outline first. Even if it takes a day, you've still got 29 days, and they will be much easier if you do so. It will also make December that much easier becasue you'll see plot holes before you write them, so less editing.

Some may call me fanatical, but I use Microsoft Excel for all my planning. I've got 138 rows, each one representing a scene. There's a column describing the event, a column describing the location, an expected page count and an actual page count. I also make character spreadsheets, with the names along the top, and stuff like age, occupation, Myers briggs personality type etc. down the left.

I'm mad aren't I? :twisted:
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:20 pm
Tabithalillian says...

Thanks every one. some of these tips will really help. Now all I need is some gummy bears and a comfy seat and I should be all set. I think all teachers should recognize NaNoWriMo as a month long holiday and give us no home work.
Living in a tower

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:21 am
Hippie says...

I think all teachers should recognize NaNoWriMo as a month long holiday and give us no home work.

I second that, or in my case, they shouldn't set the final exams in November. The whole month should be an internationally recognised public holiday.
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

Only the suppressed word is dangerous.
— Ludwig Borne