z

Young Writers Society

Ugh... this is getting annoying!

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:02 am
Sketch says...

Yeah This has been bugging me for a while... and I'm sorry in advance if this get's a little rant-y. I've just really want a title. You can skip though this if you want, summary will be bolded.=]
----
I've decided to do NaNoWriMo this year and I've got everything pretty much planned out (minus the outline because I don't like spoilers). Anyways, I still need a title. This is really bugging me because I can't spend 24/7 looking for it because I started school. I feel that I need to have a title to even get it started. Normally by now I'm writing it in my head, but I've got a sort of mental block with that and I think it has to do with not having a title.

So.. I've been looking online and asking around for ideas. And you know how it is, naming a novel is like naming a child - you want it to be perfect, needless to say I haven't found it yet. So far I've gotten some pretty good idea's just most of them are a bit over used. I like unique, or at least a bit odd. Okay so I guess you need the summary:

SUMMARY: After disappearing for seven months, Em starts seeing a girl with red hair whenever she looks at a mirror. When she runs away with her brother to their grandfather's Manor, she finally discovers who the girl is and vows to help her by following the instructions left for her in her mother's journal.

Few facts that are missing:
- The girl with red hair is Em's twin sister who also disappeared, but unlike Em, never returned.
- How she helps her sister is by following her footsteps before she had disappeared.
- Circus and Masquerade/Carnivale (which is similar to family friendly Mardi Gra) are big themes(?) throughout the book... but I've already have been suggested a lot of titles dealing with this. (Masquerade, Masque, Cirque, Carnivale - which I like but is already taken, Masks, etc.)

Things that I want to avoid:
- A title starting with The or A - in any language.
- The story is focused on Em, not her sister. Not fond of the Mirror titles.
- I want it to be simple but not common.

Genre: Fantasy/Adventure

Thanks to everyone who can help!

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:37 am
Livinginfantasy says...

Alrighty, let's see what what I can come up with:
Red

Uhhh... that's all I got! Maybe if I get more, I'll add them/it later.

I am also a fan of simple yet not common titles. I like when people title it with one word or even one syllable; it always draws me in.

I'll explain my titling process if it'll help!

When I give my work a name, I always try to summarize it in the smallest amount of words possible. One story I have on this site is about two kids blowing bubbles and one suddenly pulls a surprise on the other. I titled it "Bubbles" because the story centers around them blowing the bubbles. You may not understand, so can PM me for more info if you want.

When I gave the suggestion for your story, I took Em's reflection in mind. The story seems to center around this girl with red hair, so why not? It's what I do!

But then again, it can be stupid and not what you are looking for, so you may disregard... :D.

11 Reviews

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:55 am
Sketch says...

Livinginfantasy - It's not stupid. Just not what I'm looking for. My story doesn't revolve around the red head so much. I'd rather that the title had something to do with Em rather then her sister because when it comes down to it, the story is about Em and her journey. But thanks for replying and for posting your naming process. I'll be thinking about that for the next few days and maybe I can come up with something. THANKS!

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:23 pm
Livinginfantasy says...

No problem! :D

Good luck! Sounds like a pretty interesting story.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:00 pm
Snoink says...

*Moved to Nanowrimo forum*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

11 Reviews

Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:28 pm
Sketch says...

Hey everyone!

I think I may have found a title... Albatross. My book has nothing to do with the bird, but it does have something to do with a metaphor.

Merriam-Webster Definition:
1-
any of a family (Diomedeidae) of large web-footed seabirds that have long slender wings, are excellent gliders, and include the largest seabirds

2 -
a: something that causes persistent deep concern or anxiety
b: something that greatly hinders accomplishment : encumbrance

I came up with it while listening to The Classic Crime, which came out with a CD titled Albatross. A lot of the themes of their songs match the theme's in my book, not just on their Albatross album but also on there The Silver Cord album.

I like this title because birds can be a symbol of freedom, but then the second definition is like a struggle people often have. And my MC has a lot. It just fits well enough to work.

Okay so what do you guys think? Should Albatross be the title of my NaNo? Or should I keep looking? Would I get in trouble for using someone else's title? What if (that is if I get published) I credit The Classic Crime as part of my inspiration, would I then not get in trouble? Now I'm just rambling... anyone have any opinions on it?

Thanks - Sketch

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:56 am
vox nihili says...

Cool. It sounds about right. I got inspiration for a story by listening to songs too. One was about a guy who had somehow lost his wife/girlfriend. Another was about a girl who wanted to get back at her boyfriend. I was thinking: what if these people met? The guy is sad, and the girl is mad.
And that's how I came up with a story I call Ever After. Or is that a really cheesy title?

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.
— Kurt Cobain