z

Young Writers Society

What's your NaNo '08 about?

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:42 pm
Blink says...

Insomnia wrote:Is there an actual thread for what everyone's NaNo is about this year? I remember the one from last year, and the ideas were all amazing. We need another if there isn't one. xD

Here it is! So, quite simply, what will yours be about? Feel free to change your idea 462 times (but no more). NaNoWriMo has come round very quickly and I can see it on the horizon. I have no idea, myself. I don't know if I will be about to do it either. The first I have known about it, and guess what? Exams stuck in the middle of it. :x I might still just write some trash down :)

Well...

Times done NaNoWriMo:
'08 NaNo Name:
Genre:
Plot Idea:

I will just be [s]stealing your ideas[/s] researching.

Remember! Plagiarism/copying someone else = bad bad. :wink:
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:03 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: 5, not counting '08.
NaNo Name: SourdoughChick
Genre: Modern Supernatural
Plot Idea: Dark Moon Rising or Thanatos
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:59 pm
Stori says...

Times done Nano: none
Forum name: jpenbrook
Genre: Science fiction
Plot Idea: Merciless. (You'll see.)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:31 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: None
'08 NaNo Name: Kitty15
Genre: Certainly a tragedy but I have a feeling it will develop into the form of a satire/ dark comedy.
Plot idea: The Ghost Writer: A bitter and sarcastic narrator leads the reader through her life and occupation as a ghost writer with suspect means of gathering inspiration for her novel. I'll put further details in a spoiler box but my NaNo won't be anywhere near as fun if you read it...

[spoiler]At first the reader is only aware that the narrator (Dee) is finishing Lila Thwaite's novel and that she is a bitter, sarcastic woman. Her life consists of shutting herself away except for three hours every afternoon when she walks down to a small cafe and spies on a man who meets first his wife there and then after saying goodbye to her, meets with his lover at the same table.

Dee is initially content just to observe but after a while can't resist trying to get a closer view of the situation and befriends both mother hen and bug eyes, learning their real names and the people behind the surface appearances. At this point I'm hoping the reader will find it just that little bit harder to laugh at the unfortunate lives of these two and Dee will start to feel guilty and will start interfering to a point where she can't draw out and where she's trying to fix both of the women's problems but finding that their happiness is in direct conflict.

There will at some point be a scene where Dee confronts the horrible mr coffee stain and finds him to be disgustingly pathetic but also just as human as any other. She reaches the point where she thinks she might have found a solution and then this scene comes back to haunt her when mr coffee stain tells both his wife and lover just what Dee is up to, that she is using them all in some sick game to help her write a novel based on their lives.

As far from the truth as this is, both women are taken in. Then while all of this is unfolding, you get extracts from Lila/Dee's novel which is entitled 'casting shadows' and are introduced to the characters of Briar, Sophie and Eric who are basically altered reflections of mr coffee stain, mother hen and bug eyes (the man his wife and his lover).

You also get to meet the writer's friends and there will be several side plots there (a.k.a love interest and family conflicts) and you'll get to know quite a lot about who Lila was during this time. Then, as the story trundles onwards, it becomes clear that the writer is suffering from a terminal illness and it's later divulged that she has cancer. About the same time you start to realise that our wonderful narrator Dee (Delilah) is in fact not Lila's ghost writer but rather she is Lila and has merely taken on a new identity since her illness because she feels like a different person. It's hard to explain and I'm hoping I do a better job in the story XD

But anyway, Lila then dies of cancer after a long and awful struggle while still being bugged by her agent/ publisher and without managing to finish her final novel. And what happens to the man his wife and his lover? That hasn't presented itself to me yet but I'm sure it will come. Almost every night I sleep, I wake up knowing more about where this is going. If you're reading Sachiko, I've changed my mind. Being a lucid dreamer really is pretty fun, weary through the day or not. And it sure is making my work easy all of a sudden.[/spoiler]
Last edited by Rydia on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:48 pm
Sketch says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: .2 years
'08 NaNo Name: ShotgunFreedom
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure
Plot Idea: Twin girls explore the forbidden woods behind there house, only one returns. Three years later the one who returned discovers what happened and decides to save her sister.

(It's more or less different each time I type it... though generally the same idea... just with more or less details...)
Last edited by Sketch on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:15 pm
View Likes
deleted2 says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: None!! First time this year :) n00b
'08 NaNo Name: XxxDo
Genre: I would pick the genre "Reality" if it existed.
Plot Idea: Uhm. I've written my excerpt already, so I'll just post that:
Meet 16-year old Tibby Maureen Evans; a troubled teenager with a painful secret. To the outside world she appears no different than most others of her age, and seems to be steering her way through life in a nearly effortless manner. High school drama, going out with friends, boy problems, exam stress and the generally confusing state of mind adolescence brings about seem to be her only real concerns, and even those don't strike the public as anywhere above normal. The only one who knows the truth is Tibby herself.
As soon as the lights go out she’s haunted, and not in the supernatural sense of the word. She is slowly being consumed by the horrors humans are capable of committing, and struggles with a past that is less than perfect. For eleven years of her life she’s been crumbling on the inside, while a façade of normality covers the peripheral layer of her that others see.
More than half her lifetime she's been hiding her true self, but now it is time to literally face her monsters.

XxxDo

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:26 am
Teague says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: 2007 winnah, baby.
'08 NaNo Name: TeagueMaddix
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Plot Idea: Um... yeah. Two outcasts band together to have magical adventures full of hope and wonder.

Candy mountain, Charlie!

Er, sorry, what was I on about?

Teague
x
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:32 am
chocoholic says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: 1
'08 NaNo Name: Unwanted, Unloved, Undesirable. My Baby.
Genre: Reality
Plot Idea: I'm still not sure whether I do it. It really depends on how work on my own novel is going, but if I do do it, it's going to be about a Catholic girl who is raped by her best friend's brother and becomes pregnant. She keeps the baby and is pretty much follows her life for the nine months of pregnancy and two years afterwards, to see how people react and how she struggles to accept her son.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:39 am
BigBadBear says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: Once
'08 NaNo Name: The Novel House
Genre: Suspense/Thriller
Plot Idea: Clarice Ross, a woman who lost her legs to paralysis in a car accident, rents her brother's multi-million dollar cabin in the Unitas, in Utah. There she begins writing a novel titled The Novel House. She also meets the dark and slightly odd Ryan Erikson, who happens to be her one of her brother's insane patients, who was released years ago, but wants fresh blood.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:52 am
Sam says...

Ah! I should probably fill this out...

Times done NaNoWriMo: 3
'08 NaNo Name: Among the Infidels, or, The Lovely Moon's Encroachment into the Lands of Disbelief
Genre: YA/LitFic
Plot Idea: [stolen from my nanoprofile]

Leila, an orphaned Afghan refugee, maroons herself in the Midwest with a nostalgic chaplain, a Broadway-bound Son of Persia, a Burmese labor camp princess, a desperate housewife, a Chinese SAT shark, a trailer park realist, an Indian-Pakistani peace-monger, a bacon-loving Zionist, a wounded cheerleader, a self-righteous hijabi, and an autistic boy who only speaks in Scrabble tiles.

Huddled masses? You're looking at 'em.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:40 am
Bittersweet says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: None!
'08 NaNo Name: Liam and Emma (until I get a better name)
Genre: Romance/Horror/Thriller/Comedy
Plot Idea: Emma moves to a remote but upscale Virginia neighborhood in a large Victorian-styled home. She thinks it's creepy to begin with, but she's beyond creeped out when one day she runs into Liam the ghost. Or, more like, runs through Liam. Emma's mom is calling for the Ghost Hunters TAPS team the moment after she sights another ghost soon after Emma's encounter. This horrifies Emma, for she's already come to like all the ghosts who dwell in her home; especially Liam. But the ghosts seem to think that the TAPS people's coming will be no problem. They are prepared to mess with the Ghost Hunters more than has ever been done. They study up on crappy horror movies from way back when, watch numerous episodes of Ghost Hunters create a hilarious chaos the night the TAPS investigate.

But the evidence that the TAPS team gets is enough that Emma's parents decide to move. Emma, who has grown far closer to Liam than she thought possible, tries to persuade her parents to stay. But they've made their decision. And Emma's never going to see Liam again.

Um... yeah. Sorry about my forever long summary. Better for Blink to steal; that is if he likes girly romances about ghosts. My summary does my story no justice. D:
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:58 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: Nothing. Zilch. Nada.
Forum Name: Thunder_dude7
Novel Name: Betrayed and Plagued
Genre: Fantasy, of course!
Plot: It's kind of complex and would take up quite a lot of space.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:50 pm
Blink says...

These are all really cool! My own...

Times done NaNoWriMo: 0
'08 NaNo Name: Milkman
Genre: Children's Fantasy
Plot Idea: Guy called "Milkman" and his arch-rival "Postman" team together to fight "Businessman". Postman's son, Paper Boy, is also in it.

It's a working progress :)
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:30 pm
Ember says...

'08 NaNo Name: N.S. Glanzman
Genre: Young Adult
Plot Idea: The change that carries man to beast was the one thing that kept the squabbling Aster pack together. Under Alpha Fenris' leadership, it was the one process that they all lived for, despite their differences. But when Alpha Fenris is brutally murdered, the pack's once glorious reign on the night begins to crumble. Cage matches are being fought between pack members and Xander Richardson is tired of it all. Even though he is the only one of his friends still in whelp, he is also the only one who can find out the truth. Mysterious letters force him to swear not to tell a soul what they contain, but they may hold the answer to Alpha Fenris' death. They are all signed by an unknown sender, who calls himself simply 'X'.
Last edited by Ember on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:58 pm
TNCowgirl says...

'08 NaNo Name: ???????
Genre: Western
Plot Idea:

Well, there's this drifter who drifts into this town.....

**The real one**
'08 NaNo Name: Black Hawk Rising (Probably gonna change that)
Genre: Western
Plot Idea:

There is this drifter and a town called Black Hawk Rising. He ends up stubblinging into a huge family fued. The rest is in my head as I make it up. :D.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

I want to shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I want to explore the world. I want to watch TV in a different time zone. I want to visit strange, exotic malls...I want to live, Marge! Won't you let me live?
— Homer Simpson