z

Young Writers Society

I Need My NaNoWriMo back!

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:57 am
BigBadBear says...

Argh! I've had a sudden feeling that I just NEED another NaNoWriMo. It really sucks that it's only once a year. I need to get over my addiction.

Is anyone itching for another NaNoWriMo?

I sure am.

BBB
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:06 am
Emerson says...

Tee hee... honestly, no. I think I would die.

If you could motivate yourself enough, you could do it without the event. But of course all of the fun is knowing you're making other people cry because they can't write as fast as you!

Last year I did a MaNoWriMo. May Novel Writing Month. I don't want to do that again. It was such a big, gross, disgusting failure.

I'm working on a novel, but without really caring if I finish it or not. Motivation is nice, but you should find a way to make it work outside the month of November. :D then you can feel really good about yourself! You'll be writing when everyone else will be saying, "I need NaNo!"
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:32 am
Sleeping Valor says...

XD I keep wanting to do Nano but forgetting and only remembering mid-november. =P But I'd have to say no. I'd hate to rush DoaV.

Still, I can see the appeal of having a short term goal to push you. I keep wishing they did it more than just one month, so I didn't have to wait a year.
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

713 Reviews

Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:45 am
BigBadBear says...

Last year I did a MaNoWriMo. May Novel Writing Month. I don't want to do that again. It was such a big, gross, disgusting failure.

What happened, Suz?

BBB

Would love help on this.

2058 Reviews

Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:13 am
Emerson says...

Well, if I'm correct me and Via were the front runners. Both of us stopped around day 10 and got little to nothing done. It's easier to get into the "feeling" when you have so many people.

What really appeals to me about NaNoWriMo are the group meetings. It's sad though, both years I've only been able to do one, so I'm really hoping I can get around to doing it each week this year.

Try finding ways to motivate yourself into writing. And you can still take games from NaNoWriMo and use them now. Find another friend working on a novel, or on anything, and do word wars. Set a timer together, and write, and whoever gets the most wins! I used to do word wars with myself. [you may have heard this story hundreds of times ^_~] Set the timer for 15 minutes and write as much as you can. I usually get out slightly below 1,000 words. If you think about it, that means I could write about 4k in an hour. Try to write more every time, race yourself, and after a while you'll realize you're at a part where writing isn't so hard any more.

I'm actually working on a novel right now, and though I'm not super dedicated or obsessed [as I mentioned above] maybe I'll be your writing buddy. At least I'll get something done then, haha.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:51 am
Aedomir says...

I didn't do it last year, I had never even heard of it.

Yes, *gasp* I know...

I fear I won't be able to do it this either, with school and that... Also, I am the only 'writer' as it were that I know of in my school.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:45 am
Alainna says...

I didn't know about NaNo until I joined YWS and I didn't take part last year. It would be ideal if it was in the summer - then I would do it.

It's fairly unheard of in England, no-one I know has ever mentioned it, so it would be hard for me to take part seriously.

Is it in November again this year?

Alainna
xx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

370 Reviews

Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:07 pm
Aedomir says...

I think its November, because of:

NOVEmber. Just misses an 'l' for novel. If it were in the summer holidays...

2. Human.

2058 Reviews

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:28 pm
Emerson says...

No it's November because it is, hah. There might be a reason behind it, but either way it doesn't matter why it is November. It just is. It would be easier in the summer, but only for people who are in school. There are a lot of working people who do NaNo, so for them there is no break in the summer. But in November, there is thanks giving! [For the Americans, at least.]

Alainna, it's every November unless they decide to shut down. As to not knowing anyone who is in it, that is part of the fun like I said above. I didn't know anyone before who did it, except those I knew online. But you meet new people in your area who are doing it, and make so many friends.

I think every writer should do it at least once. It's an experience.

370 Reviews

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:36 pm
Aedomir says...

You have to stop my logic don't you! Or perhaps I should say 'illogic?'. lol, whatever. I had never even heard of it before about a month ago. It sounds cool, but I'll have so much work on. Argh!

:-D

2. Human.

2058 Reviews

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:40 pm
Emerson says...

Heh.

I went looking on their site for a reason why. My real quick search turned up nothing, but I realized that perhaps some of you do not know the site.

Allez! www.NaNoWriMo.org

It also seems that Script Frenzy has been moved to April.

370 Reviews

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:48 pm
Aedomir says...

I joined it a few hours back. I'm slow, don't mind me.

Script frenzy. I scanned over that. Is it when you just write a script, as opposed to a novel in a month?

We're getting off-topic now... oh well lol.

2. Human.

713 Reviews

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:52 pm
BigBadBear says...

Yeah we are.

So, no one is itching for another NaNo? Mark, you have to do it! As Suz said, every writer should do it at least once. Yeah, we have school, but you could spend a few hours after school writing. All you have to do is write about 6 pages a day. (2k) and you'll be ahead every day. And 6 pages isn't that bad, either.

:)

BBB

Would love help on this.

370 Reviews

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm
Aedomir says...

I really want to do it! I signed up a few hours ago. I won't be doing a follow-on to Vagabond (or The Immortals) because I'll get too attatched to the characters and I'll lose. 3B, if you get time, send me a link to your profile I'll add you. :-D

2. Human.

713 Reviews

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:59 pm
BigBadBear says...

Here is my link to my profile!

As you can see, I have 0 writing buddies.... :cry:

BBB

Would love help on this.

One is not born, but rather becomes a woman.
— Simone de Beauvoir, The Second Sex