z

Young Writers Society

What we learned...

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Duskglimmer says...

NaNoWriMo is over as of yesterday and I'm curious... what did y'all learn while trying to hammer out 50,000 words?

I learned:
1 - The first thousand are the hardest of the day
2 - The 20Ks were the pits and the 30Ks were loverly.
3 - Writing is infinately easier when you're alone in the house.
4 - Knowing that your brother is going to ask you what your wordcount is the moment that he walks in the door is a wonderful incentive.
5 - I only work for about an hour at a time and then my mind needs a ten minute break.
6 - Starting to write at 8 o'clock at night is a very baaaaaaaaad idea for me.
7 - Writing with your brother mussing up your hair and you're little sister reading over your shoulder is also a very baaaaaaaaaad idea.
8 - cookies are yummy, but highly distracting.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:36 am
Sam says...

- Make friends with one of the 125k'ers. They make you feel horrible and hopeless and pathetic...and then you write five thousand words to make up for it.

- Plan out your first thousand words to get you through to where it begins to flow.

- Word wars= love.

- Have another story to obsess about whilst you write- you tend to go faster if you don't care about your story at all (but sometimes get terribly caught up in it...).
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:02 am
Snoink says...

That encouraging people can be fun! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:44 am
Jennafina says...

Snoink wrote:That encouraging people can be fun! :D

I wonder if you wrote 50,000 words of encouragement.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:07 am
Emerson says...

-I care about this novel like it was my baby. Even though I hate it and want to kill it/edit it! I'm attached to it, because its so long.

-I can write 1,000 words in 15 minutes if I try hard enough. So I can write 5k in an hour and 15 minutes.

-I write better (better=I get it out. NOT =it actually is good writing) if Its forced.

-I should be band from the chat if I haven't written enough/satisfied my need to write even though I hate the scene I'm n.

-back up your files like crazy

-Nanoism accidents are fun.

-Grammar/spelling check takes a lot longer when you haven't done it at all...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:32 am
luna_the_shiekah says...

- I actually CAN write that much in a month.

-I can write 7K in one day.

-Writing under pressure actually forces me to finish a real novel.

-I'm sad that it's over.

-I CAN write a novel.

Yup that's what I learned. Also that I skipping plots holes and skipping time isn't a bad thing to do to stave off a frustrating part for later editing.
I cannot name this
I cannot explain this
and I really don't want to
just call me shameless.

-Ani Di Franco "Shameless"

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:54 am
Cassandra says...

--First person is yummy. It gives you the opportunity to ramble. :D

--Writing buddies are a huge incentive to keep writing. Yay for competition!

--If you try hard enough, you CAN make time to write every day (though I haven't continued to do this since I won...:shock:)

--It's good to get friends from the real world to bug you about it. I had this one friend who asked me every day what my word count was, and I felt bad when it hadn't gone up much.

--I'm doing this again next year!! :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:59 am
Firestarter says...

-- That I can write if I force myself to.

-- Late-nights/Eearly-mornings are the best time to smash out two-thousand words in an hour, or something.

-- A reward system (After 1k, I will watch an episode of Stargate) makes me want to get the writing done.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:18 pm
-KayJuran- says...

-- Like Dusky said, it feels a lot easier to carry on after you've already written a thousand words.

-- Telling EVERYONE is a good move, and really helps my word count, 'cause I hate the thought of telling them I've done nothing.

-- Third week is when it really gets fun, 'cause I've got into a routine, but I'm past the 'second week slump'.

-- Once I start to see the finish line, I can write 4k or more in a day, just 'cause I'm so desperate to finish. [That was my last day.]

-- I work best when doing small chunks spread through the day. E.g. 200 words after breakfast, 500 before lunch, and generally a lot more after dark.

-- Rewards are good, but only if they're ones that you can resist if you haven't done the work that you wanted to do first. So for me, liquorice > chocolate.
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:37 pm
Poor Imp says...

- Writing some thousand words or more is easy in an hour

- Hours are hard to come by, quiet or not, at a computer

- Plot anamolies don't matter in NaNo and make for longer, odder scenes

- Fencing is diametrically oppositional to half-crazy NaNo writing--can't be done in the near vicinity of each other

- Inner editors are vaguely apprehensive of certain sword-wielding characters courtesy of Crysi

- A character's thoughts can easily give a good thousand words

- Write at least one indecisive character, as they double all word counts involved with them

...With all of that, I still didn't finish. !_! I believe I dropped off after about 12,000, and never got back to adding more than a couple hundred.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:45 am
Elelel says...

- don't give in to the depression attack at 35k

- you don't need an outline to write a lot of words

- never hold off a good plot development for later in the story. You need ideas for now. Holding off ideas makes you start holding every idea and it just doesn't work.

- writer's block is optional.

- if you get stuck, change the circumstances so you're not stuck anymore.

- sleep is good.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:51 pm
yoha_ahoy says...

-- Don't procrastinate to the point where you have to write half your novel in week four.

-- After 35k everything goesreallyreallyfast!! and it's fun. ^_^

-- I love putting interesting plot twists in the last 5k of my novel, unplanned from before.

-- M&M's hit a really nice soft point about sitting on the top inch of my laptop keyboard for about fifteen minutes.

-- M&M's also sweat and leave a greasy sticky substance on my lappy.

-- Unfortunately, late at night, after everyone is asleep are my peak hours of writing hence...

-- Mornings and school sucks.

-- Always have a crazy character who can ramble on about nothing in particular when ever your plot line is failing or you've hit another rough patch of writer's block in week two.

-- And last... I LOVE NANO!!! :D However insane it makes me.
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:56 am
Emerson says...

I learned that:

I did not write a novel over November, oh no. I wrote a plot hole!

The whole thing is a plot hole...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

The most important thing is to preserve the world we live in. Unless people understand and learn about our world, habitats, and animals, they won't understand that if we don't protect those habitats, we'll eventually destroy ourselves.
— Jack Hanna