Young Writers Society

NaNo '22: Skeletons & Occultists

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:28 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

This NaNo, I have an unusual goal for myself: I want to keep revising Skel & El and start writing OccultWIP. More specifically, I want to get to the end of the part in Skel & El that doesn't need extensive rewrites, and to get as far as physically possible with OccultWIP. Theoretically, I'd like to get up to 50k on OccultWIP, but that's a stretch. I'm aim for a nice solid 30k of new words, since I'm breaking free from NaNo tradition and starting this draft with a bingewriting session on Halloween for the VibeTM.

Will I realistically be able to do both of these goals? Probably not. But I'm planning on doing my revisions first each day before doing new stuff for OccultWIP, so hopefully I'll make progress on both! I'm also really excited at the thought of this working—then I won't slog my way through revising other novels in the future.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:31 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Skel & El

💀💀💀

Ellie Schultz has one goal for the summer after her sophomore year of college: find something big on her summer abroad at an archeological dig site in England. She never expected that big find would be a living skeleton buried in the ground. Skel is a feres, a supernatural person gifted with incredible magical abilities. Now that Ellie's woken him up, Skel's enemies are after her, too. If Skel and Ellie want to survive to the end of the month, they'll have to work together to find Skel's vinicula—even though Ellie just wants to go home to be with Dorian Eldridge, her childhood best friend and longtime crush.

Skel & El already has a thread in the Writers Corner, so I'll just keep all of the major character information there for now.
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:40 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

OccultWIP

🕯 🕯 🕯

It's a well-known fact in the occult community that if you need someone to handle a supernatural problem, you call Annie Colt. She's relatively new to the scene, but she's never been all that tied down by the messy relationships that run amuck in the field. And even though Annie Colt's never shown off her own supernatural abilities, everyone assumes she has them. She's a Colt, after all.

When Ophelia Topaz was five years old, her parents told her to never tell anyone that she could see ghosts. When she was ten, her parents passed away without warning. She's been passed around from family to family member in the months since, but no one wants to take care of the strange girl who doesn't seem to be grieving her parents' deaths.

Then Ophelia gets dropped off at her distant relative Annie's house, and both of their lives take a turn in a direction neither one could have expected.
mage

queer and here.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:33 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Yay team two projects for NaNo!! I know you've said on your wall that you're probably going to focus on skel & el, but hey you have a great backup project if you get tired or sick of revisions! Good luck this NaNo!! <3
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:14 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Thanks for the NaNo wishes, and good luck with your projects, too!! I'm very much leaning to just writing Skel & El, but we'll see if I change my mind once November actually starts.
mage

queer and here.

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:11 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

I am very very intrigued with both of these story ideas hehe. I will always admire how you develop your characters and plots!
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

Anne felt that life was really not worth living without puffed sleeves.
— L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables