z

Young Writers Society

[NaNo 21] Whimsicality

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:14 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

William’s always known that his destiny is to be a hero. After all, he’s the son of Benjamin Greyn, one of the greatest legends the world has known. But everything about him, from his clumsiness to his hair that simply refuses to be tamed, seems to scream “awkward pre-teen nobody.” Even his whimsy-- a magical quirk that’s unique to everybody-- is rather disappointing. Yeah, buildings can talk to Will, but so what? All his house ever does is complain about the cold and beg Will to clean out the gutters.

So when Will is invited to enroll at the Dewspire School of Whimsicality, he jumps at the chance to attend the prestigious academy and learn how to be more heroic. The only downside? Raina, the daughter of Will’s father’s mortal enemy, will be there too. And from the first day, it’s clear that she’s marked Will as her archnemesis.

But that’s not all; as the school year progresses, it becomes clear that there’s something sinister going on beneath the school’s sunny facade. As students attend classes on campus, something deep under the school grounds is stirring…

One thing’s for sure-- if Will’s going to be a hero, Dewspire is the perfect place to start.
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

245 Reviews

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:42 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Day 1

2016 / 1667
Total: 2016 / 50,000

Excerpts:
Spoiler! :
The man looked like a toothpick. Uh, I mean that in a completely non-offensive way, of course! It’s just that his hair was a brownish color, and his suit was a light beige too, and combined with his height and slimness, the overall impression was like that of a toothpick.

Raina sighed. "I’m seriously beginning to wonder how you manage to get good grades. Sometimes I think my pet hamster thinks faster than you."
"Okay, well, ouch."
"Really, you should try eavesdropping on the librarians sometime. They talk about the most interesting things."
"Okay… I’m getting the feeling that I’m just making this whole breaking-into-the-lookout-tower thing harder for you."
"You think? Anyways, it’s not breaking-- nothing was broken!"
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

245 Reviews

Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:17 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Day 2

1560 / 1667
Total: 3576 / 50,000

Excerpts:
Spoiler! :
Kim led us through the bakery to the back exit, then up a staircase to the apartment above the shop. She opened the door and announced, “Mom, I brought some friends to help!”
A battle cry echoed through the apartment. “Die, crazy cake!” There was a squelching sound, then a grunt of satisfaction. “Got it! Ha!”
Kim smiled at us nervously. “Ookay. You know, I’ll just show you the kitchen and let you see for yourselves what’s happening... I promise, my mom isn’t usually this warlike.”
mint, she/her

=D

245 Reviews

Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:23 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Day 3

1723 / 1667
Total: 5299 / 50,000

So... I realized that I might be doing this wrong... ^^' I've just been writing random snippets of scenes, but I think the traditional NaNo goal is to start from the first chapter and go on from there? Honestly, though, I have no idea where to start, so I guess I'll just keep bouncing around until I find someplace worth starting...

Excerpts:
Spoiler! :
(note: underscores are placeholders for names/ideas I haven't come up with yet >.>)

_ raised her hand. “But _ and _ are completely different things. It’s-- it’s like comparing apples to oranges!”
“Is that so, dear?” Mrs. _ smiled benevolently. “Well, personally, I believe it’s quite reasonable to compare apples to oranges. They are both fruits, after all.” She strode over to the whiteboard. “But to answer your question more specifically, there are an abundance of reasons why _ and _ aren’t as different as you might think. For example...”

“Eh, well, they’re just two ends of the same shoelace.”
“Huh?”
“When you get down to the facts, it becomes clear that they’re connected quite strongly.”
mint, she/her

=D

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:28 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Honestly there's no wrong way to do it! Keep doing your thing and following the inspiration <3
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

I am big enough to admit I am often inspired by myself.
— Leslie Knope