1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:13 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

november 5

155 words/2183 total

I backtracked AGAIN but at least I got slightly further along in the scene this time. Like, we're ready to smooch f i n a l l y, and probably no more false starts. It's really something to realize that I've never written a fluff scene without some underlying tension in it before.

• Benjamin and Kiernan's fluff scene comes on the heels of Kiernan receiving some Upsetting News, and we're aware that Kiernan has Secrets™
  • Edna and Amir's lowkey tender scene comes on the heels of Amir being hospitalized (and in fact takes place in the hospital), and Edna's crying a lil because she was so scared
  • Clem and Jada don't really have any fluff *scenes*, just fluff moments where Clem says something she shouldn't have and spends the scene immediately afterward in regretful disaster state

That's not even counting my past novels, where every. single. fluff scene. has some kind of underlying tension - something bad or dangerous just happened, or is about to and the characters know about it, or there are things they can't say to each other, or they have a history together, or or or...

Like I'm just realizing the reason this fluff scene is so freaking hard is because I've literally never written a fluff scene before that's pure fluff. Like...Megan and Zafira have been awkward and nervous and walking around their feelings to this point, but at the end of Chapter 24 or 25 they admitted that they liked each other.

So???

Because now all that tension resulting from "do they like me or am I reading too much into it" is gone. And there is danger coming, but they don't know that, so it's not hanging over their heads. And they don't have a history together, because they only met at the start of the story and are kids in their early twenties. And I realize admitting you like each other doesn't magically mean you can say anything to each other no problemo, but it's a pretty big thing to say, so after that other things are easier, especially if the relationship goes well.

No wonder I've had to restart this scene like three times.

BUT NOW. Now we're getting somewhere. So with any luck, I will actually, G o d w i l l i n g, get in a decent word count today and not undo it all tomorrow.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:34 am
BluesClues says...

November 6

223 words/2406 total

Woooo, broke 200 words today! And no false starts! I mean...I'm still very behind. But now at least we're getting somewhere, and I left off on a line of dialogue where I know where I'm going next. Fingers crossed for lots of writing tomorrow.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:40 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

november 7

2772 words/5178 total

Woooo, but for real this time, because this is the most I've written all week! I finally pushed through the fluff scene (I miraculously finished it very quickly once I heard the election news, like all I needed to write a fluff scene without underlying angst was to not have my own very severe underlying angst). I completed a new chapter after that scene and then began a third chapter! Megan's getting nervous and we're fast approaching The Hurt™, so things should go okay for a while now.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:09 am
BluesClues says...

november 8

842 words/6020 total

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:31 pm
View Likes
Soccer23 says...

Hi @BluesClues, This is coming along so great! I'm really excited for it to come out, and I really want to read it. Is some of it posted on the site yet? And will you PM me or @ me when it's finished? Will you even post it on here? You're such a great writer, with a ton of potential. Keep writing, and thanks a boktrillion if you answer this!!! I'm a fan, Blue!!
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
"Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do big things; It's trash can, not trash can't"
Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:53 pm
BluesClues says...

@Soccer23 thank you so much for your kind words! I haven't posted Hungry Girls on the site so far and I'm not sure if I'm going to yet, but I'll keep you in mind when I need beta readers!

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:40 pm
View Likes
Soccer23 says...

Thanks so much, @BluesClues!! I sincerely hope you decide to publish it here, and if you need beta readers, I would be so honored to read this awesome work!!
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
"Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do big things; It's trash can, not trash can't"
Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:04 am
BluesClues says...

november 9

230 words/6250 total

Not a lot, but those are both nice, satisfying round numbers! And we're getting to the h u r t.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:32 am
BluesClues says...

november 10

2390 words/8640 total

I am clearly enjoying hurting the BBYs, and also I spent like an hour and a half sitting outside a coffee shop in the sunshine, which is like my ideal writing habitat when weather permits. I finished the rest of a chapter (and doubled it in length) and started another, and the reaction of my alpha readers to the completed chapter was better than anything I'd hoped for.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:06 am
BluesClues says...

november 11

422 words/9062 total

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:20 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

november 12

941 words/10,003 total

Woooooo, 10k! The BBYs are h u r t and we are far from done with them.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:55 am
BluesClues says...

November 13

511 words/10,514 total

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:41 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

november 14

1,998 words/12,512 total

The BBYs are h u r t i n g and Megan is exhausted and so am I, but Things are about to transpire. GET HYPED FOR ANGST.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:13 am
BluesClues says...

november 15

655 words/13,167 total

Lots less today, but I got a lot done on the new opening of the Chosen Grandma! And things are kinda coming to a head. So it's fine.

[this is fine dog.gif]

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:32 am
BluesClues says...

november 16

521 words/13,688 total

It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey