46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri May 20, 2011 1:51 am
Djinn says...

Smile
Adapted By
Djinn
Original Short Story By
Goldy Gobliness (fictional name made up for her benifit)

May/19/2011
Rough Draft
Synopsis
SMILE. Adapted by Djinn, original short story by Goldy Gobliness. (4M, 3F)Sophie invites her two best friends and her boyfriend over for a harmless slumber party for her birthday when things go terribly wrong. A mass murderer makes her his target taking down all her friends and her boyfriend along the way – only to have a big twist reveled at the end.

Character List – Smile
1. SHOPIE: (regular run-of-the-mill girl with school drama, appears on stage dressed in pajamas)
2. RICH: (boyfriend to SOPHIE who was invited to sleepover as well)
3. CASSIE: (1st best friend of SOPHIE, self-centered, appears on stage dressed in pajamas)
4. EMILY: (2nd best friend to SOPHIE, quiet and shy, appears on stage dressed in pajamas)
5. MAN: (mass murderer, face covered by a smiling mask)
6. INSANEASYLUM CARETAKER 1: (fat and overweight, male)
7. INSANEASYLUM CARETAKER 2: (skinny and boney, male)

Page 1
Smile Page 2

Scene opens on slumber party festivities, SOPHIE in the middle of her two best friends, CASSIE and EMILY. RICH, SOPHIE’S boyfriend is lounging on a bed/chair a bit of the way off watching television as the girls play cards sitting and hugging pillows on the floor.
CASSIE:
Oh, this is just so much fun! I’m so glad I came!

SOPHIE:
It would have been terrible if your parents made you go to that smelly old grandmother’s place they always send you to. I’m starting to think your parents don’t like me.

CASSIE:
Nonsense! My parents love you! I just think they don’t like me.

EMILY:
Checkmate.

CASSIE:
Emily, we’re playing cards, not chess.

EMILY:
Blushes and looks down ashamed.
Oh.

SOPHIE:
Hey, Rich, why don’t you come over and play with us?

RICH:
Your games are always boring. Why don’t you play something like spin the bottle or something? At least we’d be entertained.

SOPHIE:
You know how I don’t like that game.

CASSIE:
I think it’s fun. What about you Em?

EMILY:
Well, ummm, seeing as only Sophie has a boyfriend it’s kind of awkward. Wouldn’t you find it awkward?

CASSIE:
I don’t find anything awkward.

SOPHIE:
That’s because demons can’t feel.

CASSIE:
Hey!
All laugh including RICH.
EMILY:
You know, you really shouldn’t tease people like that, Sophie. I read somewhere that people die like that and you never even know. What if she dies tomorrow and-

SOPHIE:
Emily, you read too much.

Emily turns bright red as CASSIE, SOPHIE and RICH laugh.

EMILY:
But-It’s true-

CASSIE:
Emily, no one’s going to die any time soon. I myself am planning on retiring at twenty a millionaire because I married the richest guy in the world.

RICH:
What? Bill Gates?

Now CASSIE, SOPHIE and EMILY laugh at RICH. Everyone is generally happy when they run out of chips.

EMILY:
We’re out of chips.

CASSIE:
Well, who ate the last chip?

SOPHIE:
Emily did.

CASSIE:
Then Emily gets the next batch.

EMILY turns pink again but concedes and picks up the chip bowl and heads off-stage.

SOPHIE:
Yelling after her.
They’re in the cabinet by the sink!

They sit there for a minuet playing some more cards, RICH goes back to watching television. A scream from off-stage comes and it is obvious it is EMILY. SOPHIE runs to were the scream came from.

SOPHIE:
Em? Emily? Are you ok?

SOPHIE screams noticing the body on the floor. RICH followed by CASSIE enter. Curtains pull back reveling EMILY’S body on the floor, smiling, yet dead.

CASSIE:
Hoy Sh*t! Emily? What happened? Sophie? What’s going on?

RICH stands in horror looking at the body. SOPHIE looks like she is about to throw up.

SOPHIE:
Why…why is she…smiling?

CASSIE:
Hasn’t stopped talking and keeps spouting curse words and pacing away from EMILY’S body.
What is going on? This doesn’t make sense! How could she be-who could do this to Em? We need to call somebody. Now!

CASSIE turns around to get the phone and call 911 when a MAN not there before steps out blocking her path. CASSIE screams, SOPHIE and RICH turn around to look but are too late. CASSIE is dead, her throat split.

MAN:
Ha Ha Ha! Smile, smile! Ha Ha Ha!

SOPHIE:
She-she’s smiling. Why-why is she smiling?

RICH:
Sophie! We need to go! Run!

RICH pulls SOPHIE away from the bodies and pushes her into a closet.

Rich:
Whatever you hear, do not come out. Lock the doors; don’t come out till they say they are the police. Understand me?

SOPHIE stares blankly at RICH and he nods knowing he understood. He shuts the in the closet and turns to confront the masked man with a knife getting closer and always saying ‘Smile.’

RICH:
Hey, you leave here now! Or I’ll-I’ll…

RICH screams and his head is cut off. SOPHIE sees through the slits in the closet door to where her boyfriend now lays dead, smiling. The man gets closer to the door and puts his hand on the knob.

MAN:
Ha Ha Ha! Smile! Smile! Won’t you smile for me? Ha Ha Ha! Smile, Smile!

SOPHIE screams as the MAN opens doors. Fade out. SOPHIE’S scream continues and slowly turns into a laugh.
Fade in revealing SOPHIE in a strait jacket guarded by two INSANISYLUM CARETAKERS.
INSANISYLUM CARETAKER 1:
You know, she’s really freaking me out.

SOPHIE:
Ha Ha Ha! Smile! Smile! Ha Ha Ha!

ISANISYLUM CARETAKER 2:
Yeah, I know what you mean. It just makes it creeper that there’s a thunderstorm going on out there tonight.

Pause.

INSANEISYLUM CARETAKER 1:
You think the lights might go out?

Pause. Lights flicker. INSANISYLUM CARETAKERS look nervous. Lights go out. SOPHIE laughs.

SOPHIE:
Ha Ha Ha! Smile, Smile!
~When life hands you lemons, make grape juice and have everyone wonder how you did it!

~Taking imagination to a whole new level

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun May 22, 2011 4:34 am
IKnowAll says...

Creepy... Only problem I noticed was that you should add quotation marks, and when it says everyone laughed, wouldn't the person being insulted not laugh? Just sayin'. Well, have a good day!
-IKnowAll
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
-Mark Twain

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:18 am
creativemuse1 says...

INSANEASYLUM CARETAKER 1: (fat and overweight, male)

7. INSANEASYLUM CARETAKER 2: (skinny and boney, male)

Well, I would like to begin to say that isn't spelled Insane Asylum?

May be italize the actions for example
SOPHIE:
Emily, you read too much.

Emily turns bright red as CASSIE, SOPHIE and RICH laugh

I notice at times Sophie's name is spelled shopie. I noticed in your description you spelled perody. It is Parody.
SOPHIE:
It would have been terrible if your parents made you go to that smelly old grandmother’s place they always send you to. I’m starting to think your parents don’t like me.

CASSIE:
Nonsense! My parents love you! I just think they don’t like me
Maybe instead put your smelly, old grandmother's place. That sentence doesn't seem right. It is a good concept. Just fix this minor thing. It is a good script.
:)Life is full of hard times and good times. Lift your chin up, Ladies and Gentlemen.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:25 am
cjb723 says...

Yeah, I know what you mean. It just makes it creeper that there’s a thunderstorm going on out there tonight.

All I noticed was for creeper to be creepier*
Other than that I loveeeee the script! it is very interesting. Good job :)
High in the sky of belief you can fly ❤

Saying Why-Double-you-Ehs is inversely like saying Ah-beh-Seh (Abc)... just say yewis it's cooler.
— Anonymous