Actors (scenes 21-30)

Random avatar

Reviews: 34
Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:12 am
TDMitchell says...

[continued from part 2]
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic75639.html
Spoiler! :
I know that people don’t like reading long pieces on here, so I am only going to post 10 scenes at a time on here.
I am also still working on this screenplay, so more scenes (or chapters) will be added as we go.
I also want to warn you that this is literally one of the most (or will be the most) offensive screenplay every written.
Hope you enjoy it!

INT. SCHOOL HALL - FOYER - CONTINUOUS - LATER
This is the final rehearsal for the song today. All the singers - LOUIS, DIANNA, SKINNER and JAZZ stand around the grand piano with her words on paper.

MISS CARMEL also stands at the piano, but next to FREDERIK so that she is facing the singers. She too is following along, but she is more concerned on conducting everyone, even she keeps the conducting to a minimal since she's confident that everyone knows what they're doing.

FREDERIK sits at the piano.

The first part of the song is sung a cappella.

DIANNA
(singing)
I AM UNWRITTEN
CAN'T READ MY MIND
I'M UNDEFINED
I'M JUST BEGINNING
THE PEN'S IN MY HAND
ENDING UNPLANNED

On CARMEL'S cue, all singers begin to sing. FREDERIK comes in quietly on the piano.

ALL
(singing)
STARING AT THE BLANK PAGE BEFORE YOU
OPEN UP THE DIRTY WINDOW
LET THE SUN ILLUMINATE THE WORDS THAT YOU COULD NOT FIND
REACHING FOR SOMETHING IN THE DISTANCE
SO CLOSE YOU CAN ALMOST TASTE IT
RELEASE YOUR INHIBITIONS

The piano comes in stronger on the chorus.

ALL
(singing)
FEEL THE RAIN ON YOUR SKIN
NO ONE ELSE CAN FEEL IT FOR YOU
ONLY YOU CAN LET IT IN
NO ONE ELSE, NO ONE ELSE
CAN SPEAK THE WORDS ON YOUR LIPS
DRENCH YOURSELF IN WORDS UNSPOKEN
LIVE YOUR LIFE WITH ARMS WIDE OPEN
TODAY IS WHERE YOUR BOOK BEGINS

DIANNA
(singing)
THE REST IS STILL UNWRITTEN

A light instrumental before the bridge begins. ALL SINGERS now break into 4 different harmonies.

ALL
(singing)
STARING AT THE BLANK PAGE BEFORE YOU
OPEN UP THE DIRTY WINDOW
LET THE SUN ILLUMINATE THE WORDS THAT YOU COULD NOT FIND
REACHING FOR SOMETHING IN THE DISTANCE
SO CLOSE YOU CAN ALMOST TASTE IT

SKINNER
(singing)
(letting loose on this one, taking the lead)

RELEASE YOUR INHIBITIONS

The piano stops suddenly before coming back into the chorus.

ALL
(singing)
ONLY YOU CAN LET IT IN
NO ONE ELSE, NO ONE ELSE

LOUIS
(singing)

ALL
(singing, joining back in)
ONLY YOU CAN LET IT IN
NO ONE ELSE, NO ONE ELSE

JAZZ
(singing, a cappella)
THE REST IS STILL UNWRITTEN

MISS CARMEL
Very good, guys. It's sounding great.

LOUIS
That's gonna blow 'em away.

SKINNER
Definitely.

MISS CARMEL
(to Frederik)
And I liked how, at the beginning, you started off with the... you know...

CARMEL demonstrates the kind of chords she was talking about - press and hold until next chord, may even give a brief description.

MISS CARMEL
It's a nice touch.

FREDERIK
Thankyou.

CARMEL looks at her watch.

MISS CARMEL
And I think that'll do for today. The bell should go any minute...

The school bell rings, signaling the end of the day.

MISS CARMEL
...and what do you know? OK, great practice, guys. Next practice is on Tuesday. Be here at 10:30.
Alright, thanks, guy. That was great.

As the students all say their goodbyes, they leave. SKINNER and FREDERIK are just on their way out (from different exits) when CARMEL calls them.

MISS CARMEL
Ah... Skinner and Frederik,...

They both turn and look at her.

MISS CARMEL
We're going to need to arrange a time to practice "Suddenly Seymour".

FREDERIK and SKINNER both exchange a glance. It is not quite certain whether these are glances of fear or anger (hatred).

MISS CARMEL
Skinner? What time would you be free?

SKINNER
(I would rather not)
Um... any time would be fine for me.

MISS CARMEL
Frederik?

FREDERIK
I've already given you my availabilities. I'm free for most of the week.

MISS CARMEL
Alright, so... Monday recess, Skinner?

SKINNER
Um... yeah, that should work for me.

MISS CARMEL
Frederik, you still right with that date?

FREDERIK
At this stage, yes.

MISS CARMEL
Great. Then I'll see you two Monday recess.

SKINNER
OK.

FREDERIK
Alright then.

MISS CARMEL
Oh, and... you don't have to worry about doing the kiss this time round.

Even though they don't show it on the outside, on the inside, both SKINNER and FREDERIK are heavily revealed. Either way, CARMEL can guess from the actual rehearsals months ago that this is a huge relief for them. She's hit some kind of chord, and it's for the better.

MISS CARMEL
Is that better?

FREDERIK / SKINNER
(exactly together and on time, virtually immediately)
Yes.

MISS CARMEL
I thought so. You can finally all sleep in peace now?

FREDERIK
Very much so.

SKINNER
(to Frederik, coldy)
(willing to fight to save her honor)

What are you trying to say?

FREDERIK
I'm not trying to say anything.

SKINNER
You can finally sleep in peace now you don't have to kiss me?

FREDERIK
I think everyone would sleep in peace if they didn't have to kiss you.

SKINNER
Why? Didn't you like kissing me?

FREDERIK
(smart alack)
You know, I like how you've phrased that. Are you deliberately trying to get me to give you an answer?

By now, each of them are slowly getting worked up. This is going to be one massive cat-fight. If they were actually going out, one would probably think that this is a teenage couple who've seriously cheated on each other.

SKINNER
I don't care if you give me an answer or not.

FREDERIK
Well, then, why'd you ask? Are you trying to make me feel guilty, just like your boyfriend did?

SKINNER
(through gritted teeth)
(snap - Oh no!)

For your information, Bobby may have tried to make me feel guilty, but he didn't! Alright? So you might wanna stop involving him in something that is clearly your problem!

FREDERIK
My problem? How is this my problem?

SKINNER
Because you're rude, arrogant and a sexist piece of shit, that's why!

FREDERIK
Oh, so you don't like kissing me because I'm a fuckin' martyr? Because I have a sex-after-marriage policy? Is that it?

SKINNER
Your sex-after-marriage policy has nothing to do with this, and I never said I didn't like kissing you because of your religion. I only said...

FREDERIK
(interrupting)
Oh, so it's not that, eh? In the Oxford diction, they've got a word to describe that, and that word is "whore".

SKINNER
HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A WHORE!

FREDERIK
What's the difference? Does it make any difference? Come on, you've already kissed me. You might as well complete it with a FUCKING BLOW JOB!

SKINNER
I would rather give a blow job to a fucking horse than you, Fred!

FREDERIK
Shit, I could tell by all the make-up you were insecure around humans, but I didn't know you were this retarded that you actually escaped from fuckin' mental institute!

All of thing, SKINNER can't believe THIS comment. (Unknown to her, there is more to come.)

SKINNER
What the FUCK??!!! HOW DARE you say something like that?

FREDERIK
How is that no different to you saying you'd happily blow a horse than kiss me?!

SKINNER
I gather by that question that you want me to kiss you again?

FREDERIK
Absolutely not! On the contrary, I don't enjoy kissing you!

SKINNER
Yeah, well, I don't like kissing you either! And just for the record, if I was gonna blow anyone-- I'm not saying I do, but if I were gonna blow anyone -- of all people, it would be Bobby!

FREDERIK
(the final punch)
Yeah, and how's that going so far?

Silence. FREDERIK delivered the final blow, and SKINNER is fuming - to think that FREDERIK would question her and Bobby's relationship like this!

MUSIC: "Hand Covers Bruise (Reprise)" by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross slowly fades in

Fuming, but trying to be patient with him for the last time, SKINNER slowly moves towards him.

SKINNER
(whilst moving)
(not shouting, calming but about to blow at any time)

I have said this many times before, and I will say it again: You... are an asshole.

Dramatic pause.

FREDERIK
I have said this once, and I shall say it again: You're a cunt.

A deadly silence as the two just look at each other with hatred in their eyes. You would want to cry out "You don't know what you're saying to each other", and secretly, somewhere within both of them, this small voice is crying out but is willingly ignored in order to save their honour.

Say anything to break this deadly silence if you were in the room, and you could count on loosing your life.

Finally, SKINNER turns and heads for the door that she was originally intending to go out from. Before she leaves, she turns to FREDERIK one more time.

SKINNER
I wouldn't even kiss you if you were the last guy on earth.

Beat.

FREDERIK
I wouldn't have it any other way. (beat) Bitch.

Pause.

Finally, SKINNER turns and exits the building.

FREDERIK just stands there with an angry look on his face. MISS CARMEL, who has been witnessing the whole this, is a little struck by this and doesn't know what to do from here.

CUT TO

EXT. SCHOOL - CONTINUOUS
SKINNER walks to her locker bay. Her friends, including LOUIS, approach her. But she leaves them behind.

LOUIS
Skinner, where've you been?

SKINNER
I can't believe I had to kiss that self arrogant cunt. No wonder he's never been kissed before.

SKINNER walks off.

CUT TO

INT. SCHOOL HALL - CORRIDOR - CONTINUOUS
After a long pause, FREDERIK turns for the door.

FREDERIK
(whilst leaving)
(to Miss Carmel)

I'll see you tomorrow at 12.

FREDERIK leaves the building and begins his way home. (We focus more on him now than MISS CARMEL.)

INT. COUNSELLOR'S OFFICE - DAY
Back in late September, a WORKER from downstairs enters the room with a tray. The tray contains a cup of tea, a glass of milk and a tin of Milo. There are also a couple of teaspoons included. The WORKER places the tray on the small table near the couch.

COUNSELLOR
Thankyou, Nelson.

The WORKER leaves. As the COUNSELLOR stirs their tea with the spoon, FREDERIK sits up and puts some Milo into his milk and stirs it.

COUNSELLOR
So, at that time, you had no idea about what the play was, or what parts you had to do, or what was involved, or anything. Is that correct?

FREDERIK
To my knowledge, yes.

COUNSELLOR
And you had no knowledge about the kiss scene?

FREDERIK
Not a clue.

COUNSELLOR
And you didn't even know Skinner?

FREDERIK
No. It was only through theater group and the drama excursion that I got to know Skinner a bit more.

COUNSELLOR
I see.

The COUNSELLOR takes a sip from the cup of tea.

COUNSELLOR
At what period of time did you find out that Skinner was going out with someone?

FREDERIK
Ah... it was on the bus ride back from Melbourne, actually. I don't know what we were talking about, but... ah...

After an attempt to remember, FREDERIK shrugs hopelessly. There isn't much of the memory he can recall.

FREDERIK
I dunno. We were talking about something, and somehow she just told everyone that she was going out with...

CUT STRAIGHT INTO NEXT SCENE

INT. BUS - EVENING

SKINNER
(carrying on from previous scene)
...Bobby O'Riley.

Everyone is amazed at this. This is such a surprise for everyone, especially because of the age difference, which we will learn more about later. Exclamations are heard all around the bus (except from the teachers).

JESS
Baba O'Riley? Are you serious?!

SAM
You're going out with O'Riley?

FREDERIK
O'Riley... O'Riley... I know the name. I just don't know what he looks like.

SAM
You'd know him when you see him.

JESS
You know him, Frederik. Black hair, tall,... or big, rather's a better way to put it.

SAM
Oh, god. I can't believe it. You're going out with O'Riley.

FREDERIK
You know those times where you know the name of something, but you just can't say it, or remember what it is?

COUNSELLOR
The tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon. Yeah, I understand that.

FREDERIK
Turns out I did know him. Actually had a few classes with him before.

COUNSELLOR
Such as?

FREDERIK
Year 11 Further Maths. And one or two other prior, but I can't remember which ones.

COUNSELLOR
So, who is Bobby O'Riley?

FREDERIK
He was Skinner's boyfriend.

COUNSELLOR
No, I meant... who is he?

FREDERIK leans forward.

FREDERIK
Who is he? Asking "Who is Bobby O'Riley" is like asking "Who is Nelson Mandela".

CUT TO

EXT. STADIUM - DAY

MUSIC: "Baba O'Riley" by The Who (from 0:41)

In the main stadium, bright lights turn on.

The large CROWD of people stand up and cheer.

Off to the side, the silhouette of a BMX RIDER slowly approaches from the dark shadows.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
(over the following)

O'Riley is a VCAL student. But in addition to this, he and his fellow friends enjoyed the complex art of BMX-ing.

The CROWD performs a Mexican wave.

The SILHOUETTED STRANGER continues to make his way forward.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
But it seemed interesting because to him, it wasn't a past time. It was a passion.

The SILHOUETTED STRANGER finally comes into the light, and he we his face for the first time. The CROWD cheers its biggest cheer. To them, BMX is Catholic, and this RIDER is the pope.

MUSIC: "Baba O'Riley" (0:58)

BOBBY "BABA" O'RILEY looks out at everybody in the group. He is a rather big 17-year-old (but looks 18, because of his height and, quite frankly, his size).

He shoves both fists into the air as a sign of victory (or, rather, to please the crowd, because he hasn't done anything yet).

FREDERIK
(voice over)
Simply put... he was the best.

MUSIC: "Baba O'Riley" (1:06)

MONTAGE:
A variety and colletion of shots - CLOSE-UPS and LONG SHOTS - of BOBBY performing a collection of epic and extreme BMX bike stunts, as well as CUTAWAYS to the CROWD cheering, etc.

Over this is FREDERIK'S monologue.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
Bobby is the most gifted BMX rider on the face of Swan Hill. Aged 17, he has competed and won various awards for his extreme bike stunts, included at the Sumer X Games... Australian equivilant, or something...

His friends have nicknamed him "Baba", after the song by The Who.

CUT TO shot of BOBBY and his friends - LUKE, MIKKA and DAVID - are holding him up as BOBBY holds a large trophie up into the air for the cheering crowd to see.

COUNSELLOR
So, let me get this straight...
Bobby O'Riley is 17. And his date, Skinner, is 15.

FREDERIK
Bit of an age difference, yes. But we in drama don't see this as much of a shock.

COUNSELLOR
3 years difference in age?

FREDERIK
No big deal. It's not like it hasn't been done before.

COUNSELLOR
Really? Then who were the ones who first did it?

FREDERIK
Sam and Lindsey. They used to go out together. But we don't talk about it anymore. On the pain of death.

COUNSELLOR
Really?

FREDERIK
No, but it seems like it at times.

Curious, the COUNSELLOR takes down some notes. To them, it doesn't seem like much useful information is being gathered at this stage.

INT. SCHOOL LIBRARY - YEAR 12 PRIVATE STUDY AREA - MORNING
Back in April, FREDERIK is sitting at one of the computers. He is reading over the scipt for Alpha/Bravo - a film that he will shortly commence with PATRICK WHITE and BRENDAN SCOTT, who we met in the first scene.

The script is placed in a red A4 display folder. At times, FREDERIK pulls out certain pages of the script and jots down some notes or two. These are either music options or camera directions.

Suddenly, out of surprise (or rather, out of nowhere), MRS. THOMPSON approaches FREDERIK.

MRS. THOMPSON
Hey there.

FREDERIK quickly sits up and shuts his folder.

FREDERIK
Oh, hey, Mrs. Thompson...

MRS. THOMPSON
(being humorous)
(impersonating "Fatboy")

You fat f...

FREDERIK and MRS. THOMPSON chuckles.

FREDERIK
Yeah. C-suckin', mother F-ing...

They both share another chuckle before MRS. THOMPSON gets to the point.

MRS. THOMPSON
Um... I've just dropped by to tell you... Well done, first of all, on the audition.

FREDERIK
(flattered)
Aw, thanks.

MRS. THOMPSON
So I just wanted to tell you that you got the part of Seymour.

FREDERIK
(a little astonished)
What? Sorry?

MRS. THOMPSON
You've got the part of Seymour Krelbourne.

FREDERIK
Really?

MRS. THOMPSON
Congratulations.

FREDERIK
Thankyou very much.

MRS. THOMPSON
You really surprised us with your audition.

FREDERIK
(still unbelieving this is real)
This is... this is... great. ... Who's Seymour Krelbourne?

MRS. THOMPSON
Seymour is the main hero of the play. He's... he's very shy, fairly geeky, which you're good at.

FREDERIK exchanges a mock look of offence as MRS. THOMPSON laughs.

FREDERIK
Aw... me? Geeky?

MRS. THOMPSON
I'll explain it more as we go on.
So,... ready for SAC prep.

FREDERIK
Um... Do you really want me to answer that question?

MRS. THOMPSON chuckles.

MRS. THOMPSON
We're just gonna be discussing the play and just brainstorming props, stagecraft and themes involved. So, nothing outrageous.

FREDERIK nods.

MRS. THOMPSON
Well, I'll see you later.

FREDERIK
OK.

MRS. THOMPSON leaves. FREDERIK smiles to himself with a fair bit of happiness.

MUSIC: "Melodie" by Rubinstein (in background)

INT. SCHOOL HALL - CORRIDOR - day
The CAMERA views out the large windows/glass doors out into the school yard.

FREDERIK turns a corner and walks up the small flight of steps into the hall. He takes his shoes off and puts them along the wall.

[continued in part 4]

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:03 pm
writerwithacause says...

She, too, is following along, but she is more concerned about conducting everyone, even she keeps the conducting to a minimal since she's confident that everyone knows what they're doing.

All the singers - LOUIS, DIANNA, SKINNER and JAZZ stand around the grand piano with their words on paper.

It sounds great.

Verbs like "to sound" do not have a Present Continuous form. If you knew this, but used it to emphasise, then I apologize. =D

MISS CARMEL
It's a nice touch.

FREDERIK
Thank you.

These are the only mistakes I've found. The rest of it is pretty well structured. :) It contains a little too many F-words and others similar, but it's alright for me. You did a nice job here!
Julie, a sucker for romance, historical fashion, medieval fairs and blues music. Add photography and you already know me 50%. The rest of me you'll discover through my writings and my photos.

my fictionpress
my greatest project, a history-inspired romance

Writing is my soul made tangible on paper.
— bluewaterlily