z

Young Writers Society

Scavengers (Scene Nine of Ten)

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:40 pm
Vasticity says...

Due to a drop in actors, I had to rewrite. Two characters have been taken from the film.

Scavengers (Scene Nine)

(Norman and Calvin put on their boots. After they finish tying them, they put on hooded sweatshirts. We cut to a close-up of Norman's coat zipper being zipped up. We cut to Cody, standing outside of the church. He runs to the entrance, and grips the door handle. We cut to Adrian, in the garage. He slips a small crowbar into one pocket, and a railroad spike into the other. We cut to the church. The camera pans up, to the roof. Suddenly, a feedback noise sounds, echoing all around. [The dialog below happens during the following actions]

CODY, Voice-over (On P.A.):

Attention, everyone. This is Cody Powell, speaking on behalf of Adrian Reed. He has to inform you that the Scavengers are headed this way. They intend to raid TriOpolis, and they will kill any and all who get in their way. We ask that you evacuate immediatley. This is not a drill.

(We cut to Norman and Calvin. Calvin is loading his gun, while sitting on the bed. Norman cocks his gun, and slips it into his pocket. He then puts a backpack on his back, and they walk out the door. We cut to Adrian. He puts on his coat, and picks up a baseball bat. He then walks out the door, the camera following him. We cut to Norman and Calvin, walking towards TriOpolis. [The dialog below now ceases] We cut to the Church. A bell starts to ring. We cut back to Norman and Calvin. They stop for a moment, and the bells can be heard in the distance)

CALVIN:
What is that?

NORMAN:
Warning bells. They are clever.

CALVIN:
Where's it coming from?

NORMAN:
The church. If we can get there fast, we can get rid of whoever's ringing them, and tell them all that it was just a routine drill.

(They run out of the view of the camera, and we cut to Adrian, who is looking through his binoculars. We cut to a first-person view of a distant)

ADRIAN:
Where could they be?

(We cut to Cody, who has now left the church. He is walking away, when a gun, aimed at Cody's head, suddenly enters the view of the camera. It touches the side of his face, and he suddenly closes his eyes)

NORMAN:
Hello, Cody. Sent out a little evacuation warning, did we?

CODY:
You can bet on that.

NORMAN:
Well, we're already on top of the situation.

CODY:
Getting rid of me won't solve all your problems.

NORMAN:
I'm sure it won't. But it will be a benificiary factor, now won't it?

(We cut to Adrian. A gunshot sounds in the distance, and he looks in the direction of the sound)

ADRIAN:
Cody.

(He runs past the camera, towards the Church. We cut to Norman and Calvin. The drag Cody's body up the staircase, and lay him down there)

NORMAN:
If he gets discovered, everyone will panic and evacuate fast.

CALVIN:
So let's hope no one finds him.

ADRIAN:
Too late.

(They look to the left, and the camera turns to reveal Adrian, standing at the base of the stairs. We cut back to Norman, who has become angry)

NORMAN:
How many times do I have to kill you before you'll stay dead?

ADRIAN:
Why don't you try again? Maybe you'll get lucky.

(Norman and Calvin pull out their guns, and begin firing at Adrian, who runs out of sight. Their gunfire follows him until he gets too far away)

NORMAN:
Come on!

(The two run down the staircase, and make a turn around a corner. Norman runs ahead, while Calvin walks behind. When they reach a clearing, a baseball bat suddenly strikes Calvin, knocking him down. Norman turns around, and the camera turns to reveal Adrian, who now has Calvin's pistol. He cocks it)

NORMAN:
Superb.

ADRIAN:
We were in the same army division. You should be a bit more cautionary.

(Calvin makes a move to get up, but Adrian kicks him in the ribs, causing him to go down again)

NORMAN:
Indeed, I did underestimate you. But, remember, there's something important you need to do with a weapon so powerful.

ADRIAN:
That is?

NORMAN:
Practice.

(He suddenly fires, barely missing Adrian. In the time Adrian recuperates, Norman runs off. After a few moments, Adrian takes off after him. We cut to the two running after each-other. Norman fires at Adrian again. He jumps in the air and the bullet misses, but he falls down. On the ground, he fires multiple shots at Norman. One hits him in the back of the foot. He screams, and falls to the ground. Adrian gets up, and runs over to him. We cut to Norman, who is grunting in pain. He rolls over, and we cut to a first-person shot of Adrian, who has his gun aimed at the camera)

ADRIAN:
Yield.

NORMAN:
Not yet, Reed.

(He fires the gun, striking Adrian's gun-wielding hand)

ADRIAN:
Ah, shit!

(Norman slowly gets up, propping his left side onto the cane. He aims the gun at Adrian, his hand shaking)

NORMAN:
I'll make sure it's an exact shot, this time.

(We cut to a close-up of Adrian's hand slipping into his pocket. Adrian pulls out the crowbar, and throws it at Norman's knee. He almost falls over, but then, he pushes up on the cane)

ADRIAN:
What the--

NORMAN:
Feels like the adrenaline just kicked in.

(Norman lifts up his cane and runs towards Adrian. Then he swings, striking Adrian in the ribs. He pulls back, and jabs, hitting him in the shoulder. Then, he punches at Adrian. Adrian ducks, and the swing misses. Adrian gets up, and runs down the road, and up a hill to the North. Norman quickly limps after him. We cut to Adrian, making it to the top of the hill. He looks behind him, and the camera pans over to show Norman, slowly making his way up the hill. Norman fires the gun, and Adrian lifts up his foot, avoiding the bullet. He then runs further down the road. Adrian reaches an intersection, hesitates, then takes the road on the right. When he leaves the view of the camera, he reveals Norman, who is a few feet away from the camera. We cut to Adrian, who has reached the top of the small hill. He looks behind him, and sees Norman, only a few feet away. He darts onto a dirt road, and enters a basketball court. We cut to the door, swinging shut. Norman's hand catches the chain-link fence before the door can shut entirely. He swings it open, and charges at Adrian. He tackles him onto the ground, and points the gun at him. Adrian knocks it away, and we cut to the gun sliding on the ground. He throws Norman off of him, and stands up, fists up to his chin. Norman stands up, and gets in a fighting position as well)

ADRIAN:
Come on. I know you've always wanted to.

(Norman screams, and hits Adrian in the nose. Adrian retaliates by grabbing Norman's shoulders, and kneeing him in the chest. Norman wheezes in pain. He then grabs Adrian's hurt hand, and squeezes tight. Adrian flinches in pain, and punches Norman in the jaw. Norman begins to throttle Adrian, who attempts to break free. After a few seconds, he kicks Norman's damaged knee. Norman immediatley lets go, and falls next to his cane. He looks over at the cane, picks it up, and gets back up. He swings at Adrian, who dodges. He then swings to the side, hitting Adrian hard in the stomach. He falls to the ground, coughing in pain. While Adrian is down, Norman runs for the gun, picks it up, and looks back. We cut to the spot where Adrian was, now empty. The camera turns, and we see Adrian leaving the court through a different door. Norman fires the gun, and Adrian gets hit in the arm. He almost falls over, but continues on. Norman runs over to the door, and follows him. He charges Adrian and tackles him, turning the two around. They reach the edge of a cliff. Norman pulls out the gun, panting vigorously as he does so)

NORMAN:
(Laughs dominantly)
Now, I'm going to kill you, once and for all, and then I'm going to destroy this town that you, sadly, worked so hard for.

ADRIAN:
You're just going to end the only world left out there?

NORMAN:
This world ends with a new beginning. A better one.

ADRIAN:
I'm sure. Too bad you'll never get to see it.

(Adrian pulls out the railroad spike, and shoves it into Norman's lower stomach. He grunts, and looks at Adrian, bewildered)

NORMAN:
You... tricky bastard.

ADRIAN:
It's what I do best.

(Norman takes a step backwards, and falls off the edge of the cliff. Adrian looks over, and we cut to a distant shot of Norman's mangled body)
And the angel said unto him, “stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself.” But lo, he could not stop, for the angel was hitting him with his own hands.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:08 pm
sealegs says...

I haven't read this from the beginning so I'm a bit confused as to what's happening. In other news, I'm pretty impressed at how detailed your descriptions of the cinematography are. You have it so well planned out - each and every shot. I can tell you see it well in your mind. I'm worried though, that you're story and dialogue is not yet strong enough to support the filming. Sometimes the characters' dialogue seems force and not natural at all. Go back and read parts out loud to yourself and ask, "Do people really speak this way" If there's any doubt, rewrite.

Nice work!
"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." - Anton Chekhov

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
— Napoleon Bonaparte