z

Young Writers Society

The Orange Cover [Sitcom Rough Script, Ep2]

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:37 pm
BenFranks says...

Contains some strong language & Adult humour.

Authors note: This is a sitcom heavily under-construction. The companies that it's by, "FLS Films" & "fbnproductions" are both owned/co-owned by me and I own full copyrights of each. I'd like some feedback on the current content. This is the build of Episode 2. Second names of cast members are protected.

The Orange Cover
A sitcom by FLS Films & fbnproductions

Publishing firm, set in my room.

Characters:

Reg - BEN FRANKS
Reg is a Dylan Moran-like character, he’ll be very sarcastic and lazy, mostly lying on the bed and being a bit of a pessimist. He wears a tie that hangs down from his dark shirt and wears some scruffy, ankle-swinging jeans.

Arthur - PETER L***

Roger - BEN S******

Jenkins - ALEX F*****

Ideas:

Opening credits. ~ see phone.

Ben S enters the room, everyone, one-by-one, says, “Mornin’ Roger!” He nods and begins to cry, really badly acted, so it looks fake.

“What’s up, Roger?” asks Alex.

Ben F: “He probably forgot to eat some of ‘em Weatabix, y’know Roger and his Weatabix, can’t go a week without putting aside a happy hour for ‘em.”

Pete: “No, no, Reg. It’s some’t more than that look. These are real tears.”

Ben F: “What were you expectin’? For ‘em to be made out’a milk?”

Pete: “No, no, look. When he came in last week forgettin’ his Weatabix, he just sat down and looked upset. There weren’t no real tears, Reg.”

Alex: “Oh for Christ’s sake you two, it ain’t nothin’ to do with Weatabix or tears. He probably forgot to put the rubbish out.”

Ben F: “The rubbish?”

Pete: “Yeah, you know, Reg. Like your wife.”

Ben F: “Oh! The rubbish!”

Ben S: “Oh for god’s sake!” Stops over-acted crying and gets angry, “Can’t you idiots see that I just got dumped god dammit!”

Alex: “Dumped by who?”

Ben F: “Oh didn’t y’know Jenkins? He’s been screwin’ the Milkman’s wife.”

Alex: “**** off ‘as he!”

Pete: “He ‘as ‘n’ all.”

Ben S: “Oh yeah, thanks for the morale support lads.”

Pete: “What you want morales for?”

Ben F: “No, not ‘em morales Artie, he’s on ‘bout ‘em other ones.”

Alex: “Bloody ‘ell, there’s more than one?”

Ben F: “Yeah there’s ‘em other ones, in’t there?”

Ben S: “What the- are you on about?”

Pete: “Y’know perfectly well, we’re on ‘bout ‘em morales you need.”

Ben S: “I didn’t bloody mean it literally.”

Ben F: “Blimmin’ ‘eck he must’a been sarcastic look.”

Pete: “I bloody ‘ate people.”

Alex: “We’re all down in the friggen’ dumps now in’t we?”

Ben F: “All ‘cause Roger’s screwin’ the milkman.”

Pete: “No, no, Reg. It ain’t the milkman, it’s the milkman’s wife, in’t it.”

Ben F: “Frick’ me, he’s doin’ the both of ‘em?”

Ben S: “No, I’m bloody well not!”

Alex: “Sorry ‘bout your loss Roger, wanna drink?”

Ben S: “She din’t pass away you idiot. She just dumped me.”

Pete: “Oh, so now you want her dead?”

Ben F: “Fricken’ ‘eck that’s a bit’a long haul in’t it?”

Ben S: “WHAT THE - ”

Ben F: “Oi, oi, Artie. Neighbours is on.”

Pete: “Oo, ‘ang on,” jumps across room.

Ben S: “Jesus, ain’t no one gon’a give me sympathy?”

Alex: “No, no, mate. I think its empathy you want.”

Ben S: “What?”

Alex: “Well, accordin’ to the Collins and Barrett’s dictionary it says that you want empathy ‘cause sympathy’s the other thing in’t it.”

Ben S: “I don’t bloody know!”

Ben F: “Ay, ay! Guys, Roger wants some empathy. ‘Ere you are Roger, I’ll treat you to a sing song.”

Ben S: “Oh for -”

n End of scene, slide transition to next –

“Let it be” with Ben F on keyboard and the others harmonizing. When it gets to the electric bit, we all stand and put everything into the harmony and singing like wolves.

n End of Scene, slide transition with logo to next –

Alex is typing vigorously on the keyboard and Pete’s playing the xbox. – Same monitor. Ben S is reading the dictionary for some reason.

Ben F comes in and looks at Alex, thinks it’s somewhat bizarre and walks over to Pete.

Ben F: “What on earth is Jenkins doin’?”

Pete: (Childish laugh) “He thinks he’s playin’ on the Xbox look, but he in’t. I am!”

Ben F: “Artie, we’re at work.”

Pete: “Ah, but I live to work.”

Ben F: “Well, then. Work.”

Pete: “I can’t. I’m dead.”

Ben F: (Looks at him weirdly and then retires to lying back on the bed. Pete does a zombie impression after him and he turns around pretending to be Stephen Segal. Alex curses because he crashed.)

Ben S: “Hey! I did mean sympathy not empathy.”

Alex just gets up, walks over to Ben S and slaps him square round the face.

Ben F: I was thinkin' 'bout literature the other day."

Pete: "Well don't think too 'ard will ya, Reg? You'll do y'brain some damage."

Ben S: "Yeah, Reg, 'member last week, you got all randy about 'em philosophy issues."

Ben F: "I weren't randy and it ain't no philosophy, it was 'em Greek weren't it?"

Alex: "Yeah, t'was. Artie's the philosophical one."

Ben S: "Jesus don't we know."

Pete: "I ain't philosophical, merely got an idealist, in't I. Like literature you say, I like to think of that as an onion, 'cause -"

Ben F: "Well that's fuckin' bollucks, if I thought like that the first thing I'm gonna do is fry it and then eat it."

Ben S: "Oo, In't that right. Reg and 'is food."

Alex: "You and your fricken' weatabix."

Ben S: "Oh f-"

~~Credits
Last edited by BenFranks on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:29 am
Eraqio says...

Very... uninteresting.

I mean, just from the opening it dumps us into this situation without any fore-ground info or action.

I get that this is 'part 2'
but really there should be more of a flow of events rather than a jump.

And as I take it you're British, which suprises me even more that this doesnt really pop, have any flavor or any of the downplayed, subtle humor the Brits are famous for.

A re-vamp of this with more description and dialogue would really sell it for me, and a bit more on transition and movement, otherwise this was just a very droll series of uninteresting conversation, which is actually very common, but still, not good for something of 'entertainment.'
A story's not a story till you've made it up you see.
Look Mexico.

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:31 am
Eraqio says...

Very... uninteresting.

I mean, just from the opening it dumps us into this situation without any fore-ground info or action.

I get that this is 'part 2'
but really there should be more of a flow of events rather than a jump.

And as I take it you're British, which suprises me even more that this doesnt really pop, have any flavor or any of the downplayed, subtle humor the Brits are famous for.

A re-vamp of this with more description and dialogue would really sell it for me, and a bit more on transition and movement, otherwise this was just a very droll series of uninteresting conversation, which is actually very common, but still, not good for something of 'entertainment.'
A story's not a story till you've made it up you see.
Look Mexico.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much all of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy