Young Writers Society

"Dream Self" episode 5, part 1

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:18 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

FADE IN

EXT. DREAM KIM’S HOUSE- DAY

Ted is holding Kim on the steps, the cat held in rope form around her neck. Dream Kim is still standing in the doorway, her face frozen in solemn, tight surprise.

TED:

All right, here’s the deal. First you let me in so we don’t have to convince some more police officers, eh Kimmy?

He puts his head over Kim’s shoulder and looks over at her as she pulls her head back. He looks from her throat to Dream Kim without turning his head, giving him a deranged expression as he looks out of the corners of his eyes.

TED:

So what’ll it be?

Dream Kim stands her ground.

DREAM KIM:

You’re just going to kill me, just like you’ve killed all those other dreams. Just like you’re going to kill that dream there.

She gestures to the cat rope in his hands.

KIM:

You killed them?

She chokes a little as he jerks on the ends of the rope, tightening it around her neck.

TED:

Kim, stop talking. I mean it. Don’t make me kill you if I don’t have to.

KIM:

Ted-

He cuts her off as he pulls the rope tighter. She flails against him, tries to claw at the rope. However, he strangles her, his head resting on her shoulder, until her eyes roll back into her head and close. Dream Kim tries to reach forward to help, but Ted wards her off with a wild glare. Kim slumps and Ted catches her by the waist, hugging her to him, with the rope bundled in his hand.

TED:

Let me in. Now.

ACT 1

INT. DREAM KIM’S HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - DAY

Dream Kim is sitting on the edge of her chair, watching worriedly as Ted examines Kim. He is sitting on the couch, with Kim spread over his lap. He looks at her neck, then kisses her forehead tenderly.

TED:

Sorry, baby.

He looks up at Dream Kim through his eyelashes.

TED:

You can relax now. She’s not dead yet.

DREAM KIM:

Yeah, I figured that out when we weren’t dead yet either.

TED:

Cute and snarky. Good thing Kim-kim’s not awake or she might feel threatened.

As he speaks, he is stroking Kim’s hair.

TED:

So what’s it going to be? You let me eat you, or I kill Kimmy here and we all die.

DREAM KIM:

Since I die in either scenario, convince me why I shouldn’t pick the scenario where you go too.

TED:

I’m done after you. Everyone else can go free. But if Kim dies, you’ll be responsible for the deaths of thousands of dreams. How could you live with yourself after that?

DREAM KIM:

I wouldn’t. I’d be dead.

Ted grins.

TED:

Kimmy is lucky I’m faithful, because otherwise I’d offer to be your nightmare.

DREAM KIM:

You said you’re calling yourself “Ted”? That’s a weird name.

TED:

I’ve heard this before. It’s kind of getting old now.

DREAM KIM:

It’s smart, actually. But I already know what you’re about, Ted. What’s to stop me from taking you down on my own? You may be her worst nightmare, but I’m her dream self.

Ted holds out the dream cat rope, stretching it taunt between his hands.

TED:

I’d really love to see you try.

Dream Kim looks at the rope critically.

DREAM KIM:

What did you have to do to get him to agree to that?

Ted looks down at the rope with malicious fondness.

TED:

I told him I’d eat him otherwise.

DREAM KIM:

Does he know you’re just going to eat him anyway?

TED:

Probably. He probably thought he could escape out here or something.

DREAM KIM:

You’re a real bastard, you know that?

TED:

Everyone keeps saying that. I’m over it though, you know? It’s not my fault I’m this way. It really isn’t. It’s hers.

He traces features on Kim’s face with his little finger, even as he keeps the rope taunt.

TED:

She made me this way.

DREAM KIM:

You could always ask her to change you.

Ted looks up and laughs.

TED:

Are you kidding? I just said it was her fault, not that I wanted to change.

Kim stirs a little in his lap. He looks down at her again and draws her into his arms, so her back is to his chest.

TED:

Whatcha say? Kim’s about to wake up and I start to think a lot less intelligently when Kim’s awake. She’s distracting.

DREAM KIM:

I think I’ll just wait until she wakes up then.

Ted glares at her while Kim moves a little more. As she wakes, one of her arms falls over his and her cheek presses against his neck. He breathes in deeply, then looks down at her.

KIM:

(sleepily)

Ted?

TED:

(softly, fondly)

Hi there.

Instantly she is clawing at his face, trying to pry his arm away from her waist and generally attempting to get away.

DREAM KIM:

Kim! Kim, don’t struggle.

Kim looks over at her quizzically. Ted, still looking down at Kim, nods his head towards Dream Kim.

TED:

She gives good advice. I like her.

He looks up at Dream Kim, who is regarding him with a disdainful glare.

TED:

(defensively)

I do!

He looks down at Kim, who is glaring at him as well.

TED:

Don’t look at me like that! It’s not like I’d date her or anything.

He looks at Dream Kim critically.

TED:

Well, maybe… But don’t worry, Kimmy -

He squeezes her waist and when she starts to struggle, he wraps his free arm around her upper arms, pinning them to her sides and restricting her arm movement.

TED:

-I’m a one-woman nightmare.

KIM:

Why are you doing all this?

TED:

It’s funny how people know so little about what’s going on inside themselves. Take you, for instance.

He is practically talking into her hair as he presses his nose against her head.

TED:

There is a practical coup, a very actual practical coup, going on in your own brain and you even noticed.

He pauses, narrowing his eyes in consideration.

TED:

Well… Actually, you’re clear of a bit of the guilt you should be feeling. After all, most of it hasn’t been in your head where it is abstract notions and whatnot. Instead, it’s been mostly going on right in front of your nose. Literally. Right in front of your nose. So all you really missed in your head was kitty-boy opening the door. And hey, anyone could have missed that, so don’t beat yourself up too much about that.

KIM:

Wait, you -

TED:

That’s right, baby. That cat set up the dream that kicked us out. I’m going to take over the world and all that. But everyone’s gotta start somewhere and I started with you.

KIM:

So all those dreams we beat?

TED:

Yeah, they’re gone. I ate ‘em. They were all the dreams who were most dangerous to my plans. Now all I’ve got to do is get rid of your dream self and you’re mine.

DREAM KIM:

I’ve had enough of you…

She suddenly leaps forward and slams a circle onto Kim’s forehead.

END OF ACT 1

ACT 2

INT. DREAM KIM’S HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - DAY

Dream Kim puts a circle on Kim’s forehead, then wrenches one of Ted’s arms free and presses it to the circle. Ted looks surprised.

TED:

Wow. You -

He is cut off as he is pulled into Kim’s head. Kim collapses on the couch with Ted having been pulled out from under her. Dream Kim kneels by her.

DREAM KIM:

Are you -

CAT:

(interrupting)

Are you okay?

Both Kims jump as the cat leaps up onto the couch. Almost instantly, Dream Kim has the circle back on Kim’s forehead and is gripping the cat by the scruff of the neck.

CAT:

Wait! Wait…

Kim grabs Dream Kim’s hand on her head in a panic. The cat continues screeching with fright. Dream Kim pulls away from Kim.

KIM:

Did you just put Ted back? How could you do that?

DREAM KIM:

(archly)

Sorry that I didn’t have time to ask permission, but I don’t believe in cannibalism.

The cat is still screeching and trying to backpedal out of Dream Kim’s grip. She glares at it and drags it closer.

DREAM KIM:

Though I might make an exception for you, so shut up!

The cat instantly quiets.

CAT:

You’re not going to put me back in there, are you?

DREAM KIM:

Yes, I am.

CAT:

He’ll kill me! I was forced into this! He’ll kill me!

DREAM KIM:

I’m going back too.

The cat quiets, blinking in shock. Dream Kim starts to lay the circle on Kim’s head.

DREAM KIM:

Do you mind?

KIM:

Uh… No, I guess not. Wait -

She grabs Dream Kim’s wrist again.

KIM:

What about all those other dreams? Don’t we have to put them back?

DREAM KIM:

Do you know how long that would take? If you want to find them all, be my guest, but if they really want to go back, they’ll find you. I was looking for you myself.

KIM:

But aren’t they dangerous?

DREAM KIM:

I’m actually the most dangerous dream you have.

KIM:

I thought Ted -

DREAM KIM:

He was your carried nightmare. I’m your dream-self. Gotta give him props for brains, especially that stunt with you.

She points at the cat.

DREAM KIM:

But he’s still just a nightmare. He’s an annoyance in there and he can plot all he wants, but he’s not dangerous to you if he can’t get out. And everyone else is fine out here. They’re not any different from ordinary people.

The cat considers, then climbs onto Kim’s lap.

CAT:

(to Dream Kim)

So long as you’re going back in too. You’ll keep him away from me, right?

DREAM KIM:

Sure.

(to Kim)

We’ll be seeing you.

Dream Kim puts the circle onto Kim’s forehead and the cat presses its nose into the circle and is drawn in.

KIM:

It feels funny.

DREAM KIM:

I’ll take care of him.

She puts her hand on the circle and is drawn in. Kim sits alone for a time, then seems to realize she is alone. She looks around and draws her knees up to her chest.

KIM:

Bastard was kissing me for no reason.

Suddenly Tim comes falling out of Kim’s forehead and slumps over on the arm of the couch, leaning over her gently.

TED:

Nuh-uh… I had my reasons.

Kim shrieks.

END OF ACT 2
I am reminded of the babe by you.

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:50 pm
irishfire says...

Hi! Oh my God that was awesome! I loved this series!

And I'm sorry for the caps but TED NO! WHY!?!

I shall miss thee Ted :cry:

But loved it!

Keep up the awesome work!
-Irish :elephant:
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

Teacher: What do we, in the U.S enjoy from places like Mexico?
Student: Wait, legally?

WARNING: This user carries a spatula.

oh to be a cat in a pile of towels
— ChesTacos