z

Young Writers Society

Île de Fey - Island of Fey (Horror)

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:40 pm
deleted6 says...

This is a script been working on for a while with a friend this is a first scene and basically a prologue. Just a warning this is a Horror by all degrees and if ya could say give some criticism geared towards horrors too. All criticism welcome.

Île de Fey

BLACK SCREEN:
Joly:
Grandeur Asylum, you no doubt heard about it, did they say it burnt down? Well... time to take the facts from fiction. This is only way people can ever know.

FADE IN:

1. Written: Month, Day 1893

EXT. UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION – DAY

A Large group people, wearing all black, are sitting in front of a podium waiting for The President of France, Jean Casimir-Perier to speak.

We see a few of the guests to be some of the famous people of that time; John Albert Broadus, James Dwight Dana, and François de Casembroot.

We then see behind the Podium, Louis Pasteur, and a few other scientists and doctors, waiting for the President’s speech.

Very early cameras, with Journalist’s speaking multiply European Dialects wait anxiously.

The day is a bright but cloudy sky, and we see now we’re on an island connected by a
Bridge to mainland seen in horizon. Easing back to podium the President smiles, before speaking:

PRESIDENT JEAN CASIMIR-PERIER:
Thank you, thank you. Let me begin by welcoming the many guests from as far as the Yankee lands, to our own neighbors. I’m sure many of you have very important questions. I’ll first begin with a introduction. I am Jean Casimir-Perier, President of this wonderful country.

Our country has been through unrelenting turmoil. And we always stand upright in face of anger. France, home of Good Wine, good women and good art. We have it all, but it’s not to brag about this great and wondrous city, my duty here today is to announce important news.
My friends, I come not only to open this Asylum, which will contain all undesirables, but with great news. The malign individual, Fortescue Everard, the Papers have coined ‘The Rhine Rapist’ is finally been captured and as I speak, he’s being put in one of the buildings special cells.

We see the guests whispering to themselves.

That is why I believe we have such a large audience here with us. This monster has destroyed many lives, but as we French are known for because of our revolution, we don’t take prisoners.

PRESIDENT JEAN CASIMIR-PERIER stops and laughs a little, encouraging a few.

We show them France’s most worshiped woman. Revenge.

RICHARD CARSON:
Mr. President, I’m a reporter for New York Times, I’ve been to Alcatraz, and found it very impressive, I mention that because this idea is similar—But my question is, why so isolated?

We see the guest start to shuffle and whisper to each over.

We shift over to the President who is clearing his throat, before speaking

Of course, that is a very good question, Mr.… um… what did you say your name was?

RICHARD CARSON:
Oh, I’m sorry it’s Richard Carson, Reporter for New York Times, Mr. President.

Mr. Carson, in this very building we house the most dangerous killers and people ever convicted in Europe, if any got out, we’re talking catastrophic!

RICHARD CARSON:
Hmm, one more question then Mr. President, I’m sure most of the people here and I know my readers are wondering, how secure is this building, please be detailed as possible.

Yes, Mr. Carson, but if you hadn’t interrupted me, I would have. Now to continue, we spared no expense when building this place. As you can see by bridge you went across. Now each Guard is trained in modern methods of handling any convicts, we have two large bells built in tower with search lights. The main entrance is cast iron, while each cell has a mechanism to activate a fail safe device. Each one can be gassed separately. As you can see, we’re taking no chances. Even the Warden chosen is from our very own army. And for people living here, we have hospital area, leisure suite, bedrooms and servant quarters.

I can heartily endorse this place as the safest in all of France and Europe. And we get our own energy from a generator powered by the ocean.

ANDREW SMITH:
Mr. President, Mr. President, Andrew Smith of The Times – why does this sound like a hotel, these implications and risks you take are very complacent and blasé.

Well, yes… but the inmates are separated from the sane people. As I stated, we took no risks. I thought I was going to make a speech, but for any Nay-Sayers

I’ll say this, I swear on my reputation as President that this place is a 100% safe.
No more questions.

The guests stand up and applause while the Journalist set up cameras to take photos. The President shakes everyone hand.

Fade Out

A newspaper fades in, with headline: L'asile s'est fermé, inconnu de circonstances,
(Asylum Closed, Circumstances Unknown,)
below you can just see: Jean Casimir-Perier attaqué comme président.
(Jean Casimir-Perier Impeached as President.)

Fade Out

2. Written: Month, Day 1894

Police mill about, outside the now sinister looking building.

DETECTIVE NEFF:
Je doute vraiment que nous trouvions beaucoup ici. J'ai la réponse, nous ai mis tous les loonies dans un endroit, idées comme ceci ne travaille jamais. Croyez ainsi que je quand je dis ceci est injustifié.
(I really doubt we will find much here. Here I have the answer, we put all the loonies in one place, ideas like this never work. So believe me when I say this is pointless.)

(heavy sigh)
Laissez-nous juste plus d'avec ceci.
(Let’s just over with this.)

FEMALE COP:
Oui m’seiur, mais il est notre travail de découvrir, et vérifie les survivants.
(Yes Sir, but it’s our job to find out, and check for survivors.)

DETECTIVE NEFF:
Ha ! Ce sera chanceux. Faites- facelui Madame, nous sont sur une poursuite vaine sauvage. Cet endroit a eu
DETECTIVE NEFF:
les peuple de l'Europe Les plus dangereux dans lui, s'ils sortaient, chacun complètement.
(Ha! That’ll be lucky. Face it madam, we’re on a wild goose chase. This place had the most dangerous people of Europe in it, if they got out, everyone dead.)

FEMALE COP:
Mais…
(But…)

M’seiur…
(sir…)

DETECTIVE NEFF:
Plus, quand ont-ils commencé à engager la femme? J'ai toujours dit que c'était une mauvaise idée de laisser des femmes devenir impliqué.
(Plus, when did they start hiring woman?
I’ve always said it was a bad idea to let women get involved.)

FEMALE COP scowls but says nothing. Meanwhile the Detective takes out his pipe and tries to light twice with a match before giving up and muttering curses.

DETECTIVE NEFF:
Captain Lyeons, combien de plus long allons-nous rester dans cet endroit abandoné par dieu?
(Captain Lyeons, how much longer are we going to stay in this god forsaken place?)

CAPTAIN LYEONS turns around.

CAPTAIN LYEONS:
Nous serons ici tant que nous sommes Neff. Nous avons un travail et bien que vous sembliez penser que nous pouvons éviter ceci, que je serai sûr de dire à des sièges sociaux, nous devons coller ici.
(We’ll be here as long as we are Neff. We’ve a job and although you seem to think we can avoid this, which I’ll be sure to tell headquarters, we must stick here.)

We see COP 1, COP 2, and COP 3 inside the Asylum.

COP 1:
… Et, l'homme, quand il a réalisé qui j'étais, il s'est sauvé. Le regard de la terreur sur son visage.
(…And, the man, when he realized who I was, he fled. The look of terror on his face.)

COP 2:
Ce n'est aucun étonnant, vous empestent au ciel élevé!
(That’s no surprising, you stink to high heaven!)

COP 1:
Pas comme vous soyez meilleur, oh et---
(Not like you’re any better, oh and---)

COP 3:
Vous les deux fermés!? Nous avons d'autres soucis que votre se quereller.
(Would you both shut the hell up!? We’ve other worries than your bickering.)

COP 1 and COP 2 nod and look at COP 3 silently.

COP 3:
Est-ce que maintenant, combien de temps Pomeroy a-t-il été parti, nous étaient-ils tout à se réunir en arrière ici dans une heure, quel plancher était lui recherchant encore?
(Now, how long has Pomeroy been away, we were all to meet back here within an hour, what floor was he searching again?)

COP 2:
Il recherchait le bureau du gardien et le plancher de prison.
(He was searching warden’s office and prison floor.)

COP 1:
Peut-être les fantômes l'ont obtenu.
(Maybe ghosts got him.)

COP 3:
(Sigh)
Ce qui j'a fait pour mériter d'être à la compagnie de tels imbeciles… Redressez, j'oubliera ce sujet d'ensemble si vous deux me suivez pour vérifier Pomeroy.
(What did I do to deserve being in the company of such imbeciles… Right, I’ll forget this whole thing if you two follow me to check up on Pomeroy.)

COP 1 and COP 2 both nod again and begin to follow COP 3.

As COP 1, COP 2, and COP 3 walk, we hear almost silent cackling. COP 1, COP 2, and COP 3 seem to ignore noise, but faces look quite worried.

COP 1, Cop 2, and Cop 3 arrive at a lift.

Cop 2:
L'homme, ce cas me donne vraiment un mal de tête.
(Man, this case is really giving me a headache.)

Cop 3:
(Snort)
Silence.

Cop 1, Cop 2 and Cop 3 Walk into Lift, shut change and begin pulling on chain to lift the lift to the 6th floor.

FADE OUT

FADE IN
We see COP 1, COP 2, and COP 3 on the 6th floor. The lift door opens creakily and COP 1, COP 2, and COP 3 march out. Walking quickly to warden office COP 3 opens door.

COP 3:
Mon seigneur dans le ciel…
(My Lord in heaven…)

We pan past COP 3 to see a badly burnt ankle; blood congealing, while the skin is blackened and red with smoke rising off.

COP 1:
Ce qui… ce qui?!
(What… what?!)

COP 1 tries to look around COP 3. COP 1, gets a look.

COP 1:
(gasp)
Mon Dieu… ceci est monstrueux.
(My God… this is monstrous.)

COP 3 turns away.

COP 2:
Nous ne pouvons pas simplement le laisser ici…
(We can’t just leave him here…)

COP 1, COP 2 and COP 3, begin to sweat, gradually taking one last look. COP 1, COP 2 and COP 3 bolt, from the room, down the lift and out.

FADE OUT

FADE IN
Outside Asylum

CAPTAIN LYEONS Receives a note from YOUNG BOY.

CAPTAIN LYEONS reads and begins to frown.

YOUNG BOY begins to creep about, Taking objects out of pockets of OTHER COPS.

CAPTAIN LYEONS rereads note before seeing COP 1, COP 2, and COP3 running out.

CAPTAIN LYEONS heaves a sigh and drops the note

We see an official seal and written are words:

RECHERCHE ARRÊTÉE. RAISONS CLASSIFIÉES.
(INVESTIGATION HALTED
REASONS CLASSIFIED.)

We see CAPTAIN LYEONS gathering the OTHER COPS, while DREYFUSS begins writing in a notebook.

DREYFUSS:
(Mumbling)
Laissant la scène du crime…
(Leaving scene of crime… )

Gouvernement dictant ce que la loi doit faire. Et que diriez-vous en avant du type…
(Government dictating what Law must do. And what about the forth guy… )

Je jure que j'ai vu quatre personnes aller intérieur…
(I swear I saw four people go inside… )

Doit étudier plus….
(Must investigate more….)

CAPTAIN LYEONS:
Dreyfuss, il est terminé. Ce cas est maintenant hors de notre commande. Laissez-le. Les garçons en haut ont décidé que ce ne doit pas être étudié.
(Dreyfuss, it’s over. This case is now
out of our control. Leave it. They boys
upstairs have decided this isn’t to be
investigated.)

FADE OUT

FADE IN
Newspaper upon newspaper is seen through a sort of spiral. Names and pictures flying through until finally,

We see five newspapers clearly. Then they burn away to reveal the quote:

When you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back at you.
Friedrich Nietzsche
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:13 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Vernon, here as requested...

I. NITPICKS

Grandeur Asylum, you no doubt heard about it, did they say it burnt down? Well... time to take the facts from fiction. This is only way people can ever know.

What a bizarre thing to open with. That first line doesn't make much sense, it's like "you've heard of it, but I haven't." Just... yeah.

John Albert Broadus, James Dwight Dana, and François de Casembroot.

I have no idea who these people are, and how would anyone else recognise them as these people on screen? Just remember that even if you say so you've got to show us who they are later on.

Very early cameras, with Journalist’s speaking multiply European Dialects wait anxiously.

Sorry, just... European Dialects? Of French? Or do you mean European languages?

The day is a bright but cloudy sky,

I know this is a script, but the day isn't a sky. It either has a sky or it's bright and cloudy itself.

the Yankee lands,

...the Yankee lands? Is the President of France going to use such a term?

President of this wonderful country.

... duh he thinks it's wonderful, he's hardly going to say it though.

France, home of Good Wine, good women and good art.

Why is good wine capitalised?

Of course, that is a very good question, Mr.… um… what did you say your name was?

I want you to think about this, wouldn't he just say "Um" pointedly? Much easier, wouldn't you agree? Also, he has a terrible memory :P

a fail safe device.

Don't take my word for this, but isn't failsafe one word?

Each one can be gassed separately.

Didn't you say this was 1893? I thought gas wasn't used until the First World War.

the safest in all of France and Europe.

This sounds weird, perhaps, "in all of France, in fact, in all of Europe" or something. France and Europe makes them sound like two separate places.

why does this sound like a hotel, these implications and risks you take are very complacent and blasé.

Run-on.

L'asile s'est fermé,

My French isn't great, but wouldn't that just be "est"?

Written: Month, Day 1894

I don't get this whole Month, Day thing, you did it already.

Je doute vraiment que nous trouvions beaucoup ici. J'ai la réponse, nous ai mis tous les loonies dans un endroit, idées comme ceci ne travaille jamais. Croyez ainsi que je quand je dis ceci est injustifié.
(I really doubt we will find much here. Here I have the answer, we put all the loonies in one place, ideas like this never work. So believe me when I say this is pointless.)

Seriously, why the French? Wasn't the President speaking French? So why didn't you translate that?

FEMALE COP:

...in 1894?

(That’s no surprising, you stink to high heaven!)

Not.

Okay...

II. THE FRENCH...

Just got annoying. Let's be honest. If you wanted to write a French script, fine, but what's the point in putting up both languages? It makes it difficult to read, and just... yeah. I mean, if you only want certain parts to be in French, you could give a direction to say so.

III. WHAT HAPPENED?

Shouldn't you, you know, give some indication of what happened in between times? I realise this is a prologue, but it just sort of jumps, and a lot appears to happen in a year. I'm wondering if it might be better to actually switch the two around, because since I'm guessing you're going back and filling the rest in you could start at the end and then go back right to the beginning. If I'm wrong about what the rest is going to be, ignore me.

IV. HORROR

This... wasn't frightening. It was in fact, rather boring. And I scare easily.

Make me tremble. Often the movies that do this are the ones with little dialogue. So I don't know if you're trying to do contrast or whatever, but most of the second half of this was sort of reading through pointless dialogue. Good movies have you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Try it :D

V. OVERALL

To be honest, an abandoned asylum? You can't get more clichéed, no matter why it was abandoned. It's still, you know...

This could be good, but it needs work. Some of the presidential dialogue was forced, and there wasn't much of a horror element yet. It needs polishing.

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

I have writer's block. I can't write. It is the will of the gods. Now, I must alphabetize my spice rack.
— Neil Gaiman