z

Young Writers Society

The Forbidden Rule [Working title]

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:19 pm
bubblegum says...

I don't know if this is going to be a movie or a serie, but so far it's a movie. I think. xD

PART ONE:
Spoiler! :
INT. A BAR. LATE AFTERNOON.

DAKOTA - 17, long brown hair, blue eyes, wearing a uniform - notice an old man sitting on one of the tables by the windows. She makes her way through the half-crowded bar with her notebook in her left hand and a pen in the other. She stops by the table.

DAKOTA
(friendly)
What can I get you?

OLD MAN
How about a bottle of beer?

THE OLD MAN doesn’t look up, just stares out of the window.

DAKOTA
I’ll be right back.

THE OLD MAN watches her leave. DAKOTA makes her way through the bar once more, but she takes a different route this time. This time she walks towards the counter, where LUCAS - handsome, blonde hair, wearing a bar uniform- is. He’s polishing some of the glass from the cabinet. DAKOTA opens the fridge; takes a look inside before she takes out a bottle of beer.

LUCAS
So, do you have any plans for the weekend?

DAKOTA
Yeah, kind of. My aunt is coming to town and she’s going to stay at my place.
I bet she’s going to be all ‘Why don’t you get your Aunt Lily a blablabla?’
Damn, she’s driving me crazy. Even on the phone she’s talking non-stop.
Can you imagine?

LUCAS
(laughing a little)
Sorry, but I can’t.

DAKOTA
Jerk.

DAKOTA punches LUCAS friendly in the arm on her way back to THE OLD MAN by the window with his bottle of beer in her hand. She sets the bottle on the table in front of him.

DAKOTA
Here you go.

OLD MAN
Thank you.

THE OLD MAN puts some money on the table, refuses to look up.

DAKOTA
You’re welcome.

When DAKOTA is about to leave, THE OLD MAN grab a hold of her arm and pull her back.

OLD MAN
You’re not Alice, are you? Joy Perez’ daughter?

DAKOTA
Eh, sorry, but my name is Dakota.

OLD MAN
Okay.

He let go of her arm and she walks faster than usual towards the counter. THE OLD MAN leaves, leaving the bottle of beer he had just paid for on the table.

LUCAS
What was that all about?

DAKOTA
That old man thought I was someone called Alice.
What’s his problem?

LUCAS
You tell me.

MR LOVITT - quite handsome, mid 40’s, black hair with hints of gray, wearing casual clothes - steps out of his office. He walks towards DAKOTA and LUCAS.

MR LOVITT
Dakota?

DAKOTA
(turns around to look at him)
Yeah?

MR LOVITT
Do you mind working tomorrow?
I know it’s your day off, but I could really need your help.
I don’t know if I have told you, but tomorrow night there are some guys
that are going to hold a meeting in here, and they wanted you to be their waitress.
Don’t ask me why, they didn’t want to tell me.
I don’t know what will happen if I get someone else,
so can you please come by tomorrow?

DAKOTA
Sure, but I have to talk with Aunt Lily first.
I don’t think that she will be a problem,
but she needs to know.

MR LOVITT
Okay, but let me know later today.

MR LOVITT turns around to walk into his office again, but stops when he hears what DAKOTA says.

DAKOTA
I can call her right now if you want?

MR LOVITT
That would be great.

LUCAS
(says in a hurried voice)
You can borrow my phone.

LUCAS is about to pull out his phone from his pocket when DAKOTA speaks.

DAKOTA
Thanks, but I have my own phone. Remember?

LUCAS
Of course, I was just trying to be nice.

DAKOTA
I know.

DAKOTA pulls her phone out of her pocket and dials the number.

CUT TO:

INT. AN OFFICE. / INT. A BAR. LATE AFTERNOON.

AUNT LILY sits in a chair behind a desk. She writes down some numbers at a piece of paper when her phone, which lay in her bag on the floor, rings. She bends down to take it.
DAKOTA stands behind the counter in the bar.

AUNT LILY
This is Lily Gibbs, who am I talking to?

DAKOTA
Hey, it’s Dakota.

AUNT LILY
Dakota! How are you these days? How is school?

DAKOTA
I dropped out of school two months ago.
Don’t you remember?

AUNT LILY
Yeah, you’re right, but I’m not coming until tomorrow,
so why are you calling?

DAKOTA
I know that, I just wanted to say that I have to work tomorrow night.
I hope that’s okay with you?

AUNT LILY
Don’t worry about me. I know you need that money.

DAKOTA
Thanks. I’ll see you tomorrow then.

AUNT LILY
Take care, sweetheart.

Right after DAKOTA has put her phone back into her pocket, it rings again. It is her best friend.

CUT TO:

EXT. A PARK. / INT. A BAR. LATE AFTERNOON.

ALISON - 18, short black hair with a couple of red stripes in it, wearing casual clothes - walks through a park talking on the phone.
DAKOTA leans her body against the counter in the bar.

ALISON
Hey, what’s up?

DAKOTA
Not much. I’m about to leave work. Why?

ALISON
I overheard Daphnee talk about a party at Dylan’s place earlier.
She said that it would be the greatest party ever.
You see, his parents are out of town this week.

DAKOTA
And you’re sure that we’re invited.
I don’t want to be thrown out like last time.
That was pretty embarrassing.

ALISON
I were there, remember?
But I called Sebastian five minutes ago,
and he said that he would get us in.

DAKOTA
Great. What time?

ALISON
I’ll pick you up at eight.

DAKOTA
See you later, then.

DAKOTA leans against the counter as she puts her phone into her pocket for the second time. LUCAS turns around to face her.

LUCAS
Who was that?

DAKOTA
Alison. You know Alison, right?

LUCAS
Yeah. What did she want?

DAKOTA
She invited me to a party later.

LUCAS
Whose party?

DAKOTA
Dylan’s. His parents are out of town this week, you see.

LUCAS
Yeah, but are you invited?

DAKOTA
I’m not sure. Alison told me that she would get us in. though.
She said that she had talked to someone called Sebastian or something.
Not that I know who that is.

LUCAS
Just promise me that you won’t do anything stupid.
I don’t want to see you get hurt or anything.

DAKOTA
Seriously?

LUCAS
Yeah.

DAKOTA
You know that I can take care of myself, right?

LUCAS
Of course, but you don’t know these guys.

DAKOTA
(a little annoyed)
Oh, I see. You know them and I don’t? Is that what you’re saying?
Because I think I can handle them. They won’t be able to lay a hand on me.
Trust me.

LUCAS
I hope you’re right.

CUT TO:

EXT. A HOUSE IN LONDON. 8 PM.

Clothes lay everywhere - on the bed, on the floor, even on desk. DAKOTA is standing in front of her wardrobe wearing a too short purple dress with a huge cleavage. She takes her clothes out of the wardrobe, and then she throws them over her shoulder. Suddenly the doorbell rings. She takes a quick look at the clock by the bed, before she hurries downstairs to open the front door. ALISON is standing outside with a short red dress that matches her hair. She steps inside and then closes the door after herself.

ALISON
Are you ready?

They walk up the stairs to the second floor.

DAKOTA
Not yet. I can’t find something to wear.

DAKOTA steps into her bedroom while ALISON stops in the doorway. She looks horrified at the clothes that cover absolutely every single spot of her room.

ALISON
Are you kidding me?

DAKOTA
Just help me, okay?

ALISON
Sure. Show me what you’ve got.

DAKOTA
Okay, what do you think of this?

DAKOTA strikes a pose and points at the dress she is wearing.

ALISON
To be honest? It looks like you’re going to dance at a strip club.

DAKOTA
Then what the hell am I gonna wear?

ALISON
What about that new skirt you bought last week?
And that tank top you wore at my birthday?

DAKOTA
Ali, you’re a genius!

ALISON
I know.
Last edited by bubblegum on Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 12 times in total.
May all your dreams come true.. (even the ones they laughed at).

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:49 pm
Nephthys says...

Hi, I'm Nephthys and I will looking at your script today.

bubblegum wrote:I know, it's just text, nothing else. I'm going to fix it later. Maybe, but that's what I've got so far. : )

I would fix it ASAP. Because you have no formatting, I have no idea what kind of a script this is supposed to be. Is it a screenplay? A stage play? A radio play? Because I don't know what kind of a script this is supposed to be my review is a lot less useful.

bubblegum wrote:- At the bar -

Give us an idea of what this bar is like - just a few words. Is it crowded, sketchy, exclusive?

bubblegum wrote:DAKOTA: I’ll be right back.

You might think it's obvious that your character exits, but you need to tell the reader this. Otherwise, if you have another scene where a character says that they're leaving and then stays to spy (Etc), we won't understand what is going on.

Also, who is Dakota? Again, just a few words. If this is a stage play, you should have a "dramatis personae" section at the start. If it's a screenplay, just give us a quick intro. (Ex: Dakota, 25, sullen stands at the bar). That being said, as Dakota is a fairly gender-neutral name- make sure that you let the reader know right away if they are male or female.

bubblegum wrote:LUCAS: So, do you have any plans for the weekend?

DAKOTA: Yeah, kind of.

What is going on here? Has Dakota left the room and entered a different room where Lucas is? Is Lucas in the same room as the old man?
bubblegum wrote:DAKOTA: Here you go.

OLD MAN: Thank you.

Ahh! Your lack of stage directions is REALLY confusing me! What does Dakota give the Old Man? I have NO IDEA what is going on!
bubblegum wrote:OLD MAN: Excuse me, but are you Alice? Joy Perez’ daughter?

Okay, now we know that Dakota is a girl, but it's a little late for that.

bubblegum wrote:MR LOVITT: Dakota?

Again, stage directions! Did Mr Lovitt enter, or was he there the whole time?

I would love to review this properly, but unfortunately it is IMPOSSIBLE to figure out what is going on without stage directions. If you want any actual reviews I would suggest adding some in ASAP. If this is a film script then there are a lot of other components that you need to add as well - just look up "screenplay formatting" on google, and you'll get tons of information.

Let me know when you've added in stage directions if you want me to give you a proper review. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

- :) Nephthys
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- There is no sin except stupidity - Oscar Wilde -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:31 am
Sunshine says...

Nephths did a whole lot of nitpicks but here's my best shot:
-Have a charecter list at the beggining of the script. I think that's how a real script would be.
- I agree with the above reviewer! SCREEN DIRECTIONS! Did they enter or were they there the whole time? Makes much more since that way.
- Ok, if this is a screen play put in camrea directions. (Pan in, close up... ect...)

- Describe why Dakota is at a bar with a old man. Or maybe background on ALison and Dakota. (Flashbacks in plays are ok and interesting!)

Thanks!
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:50 pm
Nephthys says...

This is already 100x better!

bubblegum wrote:DAKOTA: Female, 17, long brown hair, blue eyes, wearing a bar uniform.

OLD MAN: Male, mid 50’s, brown hair with hints of gray, wearing formal clothes.

LUCAS: Male, handsome, 22, blonde hair, wearing a bar uniform.

MR LOVITT: Male, quite handsome, mid 40’s, black hair with hints of gray, wearing casual clothes.

ALISON: Female, short black hair with a couple of red stripes in it, 18, wearing a short red dress.

These are lovely character descriptions! However, if this is a screenplay, then you should put the descriptions within the script instead of at the start.

bubblegum wrote:- At the bar –

Alright, so, for a film script you'll want to replace this with a scene heading. (INT. A BAR. NIGHT) or (INT. THE DINOSAUR BAR. NIGHT) The key components to the scene heading are whether it's inside or outside (INT./EXT.) The basic location (ALFRED's HOUSE, THE BEACH etc) and the time of day. (DAY. DUSK. etc)

bubblegum wrote:It is late afternoon and Dakota is working her last shift that day.

This is where you'd put in your character descriptions. (DAKOTA, 17, wearing a uniform, stands behind the bar. It is her last shift of the day.) Notice how her name is in capitals - you should do this in EVERY scene, the first time that a character appears in the scene. This is so that it is easy to see which scenes each character is in. Also, you don't actually need to say that Dakota is "female" (Sorry if I was misleading). As long as you get a "she" in there sometime in the first sentence about her, then you're good.

bubblegum wrote:DAKOTA: What can I get you? (friendly)

Lovely use of a parenthetical, however, usually you would put the description before the line, so that we know that the line is supposed to be friendly, not that she says the line, and then becomes friendly.

bubblegum wrote:[i]The old man doesn’t look up, just stares out of the window.

This character is suddenly a lot more interesting :)

bubblegum wrote:waiting for him to pay for it.

As much as possible in a screenplay, it is good to say "she waits" instead of "she is waiting". (Present tense vs present continuous tense.)

bubblegum wrote:DAKOTA: That old man thought I was someone called Alice. Why is that?

It seems a little odd that Dakota is asking Lucas why the old man called her Alice. Maybe instead of "Why is that?" she could say "What's his problem?" or something that is asking more about the old man than his reasons.

bubblegum wrote:DAKOTA: Sure, but I have to hear with Aunt Lily first. I

Talk with?

Just a note about phone conversations: there are several ways that you can write them.

One is to stay with Dakota the whole time, in which case you should let the reader know that you haven't changed locations by writing (AUNT LILY (OOV)) (For Out Of View).

Another thing that you can do is create a split screen. I'm not entirely sure how you would indicate this, but I'm sure it's not too complicated.

Another effective way to have a phone conversation is to use the term "INTERCUT WITH:"

EX:

Billy's phone rings.

BILLY
Hello?

INTERCUT WITH:

CUT TO:

INT. BETSY'S LIVING ROOM. NIGHT.

BETSY, 22, cheerful, sits in a brightly coloured living room, painting her nails. She holds the phone in between her ear and her shoulder.

BETSY
(Cheerfully)
Hi, Billy!

BILLY
Stop calling me! I broke up with you, remember?

(ETC)

PLOT:
You've got me interested! It was a great idea to introduce a bit of weirdness right away (the old man) because it creates tension. We want to find out what his deal is!

CHARACTERS:
Some of your characters are quite interesting. However, I'm not really sure about Alison and Dakota. I think this is because a lot of your dialogue is fairly generic: "Dylan is having a party tonight, wanna go?" "Sure, why not?"

I have this problem too, so what I try to do is imagine an unusual way of saying something generic. Instead of "Dylan is having a party tonight", you could say "There's a party at Dylan's place tonight. He claims that there will be no more fireworks mishaps."

This adds a new dimension - instead of a simple statement of facts, we now understand that these characters have a shared back story, and are more interested in meeting this "Dylan".

Then, instead of "Sure, why not?", Dakota can say something that reveals more about her character. If she's a daredevil type she might say "Come on! The fireworks mishap was the best part!" if she's an orderly type she she might say "Good, because I don't want to spend the next four hours getting confetti out of my hair." (Etc). Creating unusual dialogue really helps you show off the wonderful characters that you've created :)

FORMATTING:

The easiest way for you to get used to using screenplay format is to read some professional ones. BBC Writersroom has a lot of interesting TV scripts to look at, and Daily Script has a lot of movie scripts.

Another resource that you can use to help you with your formatting is Celtx. It is an awesome free program that you can download which allows you to write your screenplays using proper formatting.

OVERALL:

This is an interesting script, and with a bit of new formatting it will be even better! Let me know when you post the next part- I look forward to reading it. :)
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- There is no sin except stupidity - Oscar Wilde -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.
— Helen Keller