z

Young Writers Society

Describing a setting using all five senses

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:05 pm
volleychik992 says...

I have done this for my stories before I even start writing them, so I can get a feel for what I am writing about, and expand on it from that point. Try it- describe what you see, smell, hear, taste, and feel.

See- that's easy. But describe it in detail.
Hear- there's usually a creaking or the sound of wind even in the quietest of rooms. Or maybe you can only hear yourself breathe.
Smell- that's pretty easy too.
Taste- sometimes it's hard to think of what you can taste in a place. The dust? Or maybe the last meal you had (ew... makes me want to brush my teeth).
Feel- pretend you are running your hand over a chair in the room. Or a stuccoed wall (etc., etc...).

Post what you write here!
"A people without history is like wind in the buffalo grass."

-Sioux Proverb

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:41 pm
View Likes
Lizzybethrae says...

I do that too...usually I just sit down and make a chart. I come up with all the different places in a chapter and then use the five senses. I also add a sort of 'sixth sense'--how my character would react.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:20 am
View Likes
volleychik992 says...

That's a really good idea-- it's just that sometimes when I do that exercise I don't have my character developed yet. I focus on the place first, and then the people it concerns. But I'll have to add that later.

Why should Caesar just get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smushed under his big feet? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, right? Brutus is just as smart as Caesar, people totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar, and when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody because that's not what Rome is about! We should totally just stab Caesar!
— Gretchen Wieners