z

Young Writers Society

Rate the first sentence above you

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:03 am
TigersMoon says...

5/10- It would fit better with story around; alone it seems out of place. Although it does beg the question: What is Sai Thi? Is it a place? Why does the air stink?

The moon's silver light cascaded onto her still body, which lay on the cold ground.
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:41 am
RacheDrache says...

3/10 - lots of adjectives. The nouns make me wary of cliches, and the main verb is a bit of an overkill, since light can't cascade. The focus on the moonlight itself detracts from the potential for drama, action, suspense, etc.

Sneaking onto the palace grounds had been much easier when she was small.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:33 pm
Vervain says...

8.5/10 -- it definitely pulls me in, and it's a quick introduction to a viewpoint character, a bit of history, and some action to give a bit of a backdrop to whatever comes next. At the same time, I kind of feel like it's... missing something that would give it that last bit of oomph.

--

He had been waiting a thousand years.
stay off the faerie paths

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:40 pm
Rosendorn says...

8/10. I'm kinda hung up on the past perfect, but I'm very curious as to why you're using it over straight up past tense. I want to keep reading.

--

I wondered if this was how souls felt, waiting for judgement after death.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:41 pm
Master_Yoda says...

7/10. Establishes character mood effectively. Fails to place reader in any concrete context. I'd read on.

Jon scrubbed the meat-cleaver with a ragged sponge, and the water, tinged red, slid down the drain.
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:19 am
RacheDrache says...

negative gazillion out of 10

You abused a comma, bro. Don't need one after "sponge." Otherwise I am of course interested in what Stephen King mayhem this character has gotten into, and would read on.

We rode to battle on the subway.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:31 pm
firefly882 says...

8/10. It's intriguing and catches the reader's attention. Why are they on a subway? Who's going into battle? What are they fighting for? You set up questions in the reader's mind quickly and lure them into reading more to find the answers. Also, it's a very unique opener!

The night was clear and crisp.
"Have I ever told you the story about how our kingdom was nearly torn apart by greed and betrayal? No? Well then gather 'round, my children, and let Ol' Nan tell you about the Legends of Arenthul." ~Naneria

425 Reviews

Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:04 pm
Vervain says...

3.5/10. This gives me no setting, no character, and nothing to latch onto. It sounds potentially interesting, but it's an overused cliche that leaves the reader with no images in their mind. The following paragraph would have to be really good to pull this one out of the mud, for me.

--

The stranger lurched in at half-past eight.

Random avatar

Reviews: 94
Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:25 am
JumpyDot says...

6/10 though it does intrigue, it seems like your trying to get me to say that it's cool.
---
The Jeep was old and battered and it didn't bode well for protecting from zombies.

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:37 am
Apricity says...

5/10

Plain old description and the ending of the sentence is cliche. In fact, the whole sentence sounds like something you'd get out of a zombie fan fiction. Not enough suspense in it, it has the potential though.

(Mine's not much better.)

Lights defined the shape of the city.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:36 am
Pompadour says...

5/10

It doesn't hook me, nor does it give me a clear visual of what-do-I-expect. It's also a drab introduction to a commonplace fact--where there are cities there are lights. Unless, of course, this isn't your commonplace city but an ancient underground civilisation that has just been discovered and... //rambles

So, slightly intriguing, but not enough to reel me in.

~*~

The cold had a serpentine quality to it that night.
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:55 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

XD. 8/10

Not a bad description, but apart from the serpentine it doesn't add anything else to the sentence. However, the word does give it a nice twist as to why it would feel that way.

I woke up today, or yesterday or maybe even tomorrow, how would I know, time had no jurisdiction here.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

863 Reviews

Reviews: 863
Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:54 pm
Morrigan says...

6/10.
The concept is solid, but the wording is so clunky that we get lost in it.
---
The unbleached cotton dress flew up in the breeze, eliciting a violent rearranging from the girl standing on the riverbank.
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:14 pm
rainforest says...

9/10
Vocabulary and grammar is great!
-
There are plenty of monsters in my room! You can look under my bed, behind the dresser, in my closet, just don't look up because she hates to be looked at.
this account proudly supports lgbt rights

425 Reviews

Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:33 pm
Vervain says...

4/10 -- It gives me a very childish feel, which is not necessarily bad, but the grammar isn't great in the second sentence (run-on) and you could use a dash instead of a comma to elicit some emotional response from the reader and add tension. As it is, I don't feel like there's much tension at all, even though you've obviously introduced a tense plot element, and you repeat "look" three times in the same sentence. Maybe edit it to something like "don't look up, because she hates people watching her"? As it is, it's not a successful hook for me.

---

“Lucielle, pay attention when your mother is talking.”

I like to create sympathy for my characters, then set the monsters loose.
— Stephen King