z

Young Writers Society

Rate the first sentence above you

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:12 pm
Vanadis says...

It's okay. *pats shoulder.* There really wasn't a way you could have known for sure.
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:53 am
Rosendorn says...

No line to rate!

“I don’t see why we should lose a daughter when guards can do a perfectly good job.”
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:17 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

Hm, it draws me in and I want to know who's talking; however, it's a little confusing since I have no idea what they're talking about. Still, for a first line, it's good. :D
10/10

"I watched with baited breath as the warrior advanced through the dark chamber, sword in his hand and shield upon his arm."
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

1272 Reviews

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:48 pm
Rosendorn says...

4/10 "Baited breath" is cliche to me, and the situation looks rather predictable. Not too inclined to read farther.

"Adict" is imprinted on everything I see

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:30 pm
View Likes
Evi says...

8/10. I like it. I like what it implies, and the internal issues it shows. But, really, if the character is lamenting the fact that they're an addict, does it make sense that they see the word in everything around them? Maybe when they look in a mirror or something. I don't know. It'd have to be explored a bit more in the next paragraph for me to love it. :P

Adam Bristow was a pale, stick-like young man who was unfortunate enough to live in the apartment above Gadsbury’s Video Rental Store, which was actually not a video rental store at all, but a portal to the Underworld.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:25 pm
Hawkie says...

9/10 Very interesting! It's longer than most; it might be better to save some of the information for the rest of the first paragraph. Just my opinion.

It was a sweltering August afternoon, and Felix Kesley was venturing outside his house for the first time in weeks.

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:44 am
Kaedee says...

6.5/10 I wonder why this guy had been in his house for so long, but 'It was a sweltering August afternoon' doesn't really add anything to the rest of the sentence.

To make this sound even more dramatic, I would break it into more than one sentence, but...(:

She was lost, in a huge airport...but the worst part of it, was that she was blind.
Perfect things in life aren't things.
Spoiler! :
*_______*

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:15 pm
Twit says...

3/10

Too melodramatic. "She was lost" is very blunt, and I'd prefer a little more subtlety. The ellipsis and "but the worst part of it was" is too cliche and OTT.

Being regularly humiliated from a very young age tends to do things to one's psyche.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:34 am
ToritheMonster says...

3/10. Kinda cliche.

"Humans are curious beings."
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:53 am
hero says...

Hm, I'd say about 7/10. I'd like to see more of what's going on, whether this is something that is not human speaking, or whether it's psychological. If it's not psychological, I would like to ask why it's always humans who are curious beings.

'I had a headache, which had nothing to do with the fact that I was on my sixth pint, Leo hadn't brought the shots yet, and I had spent four hours waiting in a strobe-lit bar.'
This guy is so evil you could put him in between two slices of bread and call him an evil sandwich.

Coming at you like a jetpack Shakespeare.

Hero's Reviews
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic53905.html

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:43 pm
Silversun says...

I'd give it a 7. It's a little bit longer, but I do I do wonder why this person is getting completely wasted and why they've been in a bar for four hours waiting. All of the commas make it a little complicated though.

“Damon, how many times do I have to tell you that I just don’t need love,” Lily said.
Have you ever smelled sunshine? Have you tasted the color orange? I know how you can... post880303.html#p880303

This is a gift. It comes with a price.
Who is lamb and who is the knife?
-Florence and the Machine

1272 Reviews

Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:03 pm
Rosendorn says...

6/10 You were just fine until "Lily said." I love opening with dialogue, but I find a tag breaks up the flow.

“I don’t see why we should lose a daughter when guards can do a perfectly good job.”

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:23 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

7/10

Not because it feels like deja vu.

(Darn it, I forgot the quotation marks)

"Daniel had no clue as to how he ended up in the middle of a burning forest, which caged him."
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:54 am
Ranger Hawk says...

10/10
Instantly pulls me in!

"The carriage wheels churned through a puddle, splashing the already-soiled sides with even more mud."
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

1272 Reviews

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:34 am
Rosendorn says...

5/10

There's a mild element of curiosity, but as just one line this isn't enough. I'd be interested if the paragraph pulled something interesting (Ie- this line is best for a paragraph-long opening)

And, guys, my line was dialogue, lol. I just left it tagless. You don't need to put quotation marks around it all the time.

"I don't see why we should lose a daughter when guards can do a perfectly good job."

We are all broken. That's how the light gets in.
— Ernest Hemingway