z

Young Writers Society

Title Feedback

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:38 am
TriSARAHtops says...

I quite like it, and I'd probably pick up the book to see what it was about. It has super strong fantasy vibes, and is maybe a little too on the dramatic side for my liking. Makes me think of assassins or magicians and stuff shrouded in secrecy. I wouldn't read it off title alone, but with an interesting blurb you might get me.

---

Saltwater Wounds
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:38 am
Snazzy says...

I like it - kind of a play on words, but not at the same time... if that makes sense . :D It makes me think about a really touching story, maybe between friends or something...and I'd probably take a look at it. :)

Assignment 8
Disciple of Christ • Coffee Addict • Poetry Consumer

Formerly SnazzyPencil

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:21 am
Chaser says...

It's definitely got an intriguing feel, but the title alone reminds me a bit of school assignments. If that's not what you're going for, then a good cover would bolster the tone perfectly. Overall, I might read this if I had a bit more information as to what it was about.

--------------------------------

Angel Affliction
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:30 am
Vervain says...

It sounds interesting. I can't quite place it -- part of me wants to say it's sci-fi, while the other part wants to say realistic or supernatural fiction. That being said, I feel like the words don't mesh very well with each other, probably because "affliction" feels like a far-too-long way to say too many other things; it's very vague. I don't get a good idea of the story itself, but I'd probably look at the blurb to find out what it was.

---

The Mysterious Misfortune of Miss Scarlett Fawkes
stay off the faerie paths

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:24 am
yizhongt says...

Right of the bat, I want to say your story might be either set in reality or quite possibly in a fantasy setting. That being said, a small side of me also thinks that it also can be used for a sci-fi story. The title isn't vague as the potential reader will most likely guess that the novel revolves around a mystery. I love a good mystery, so if the blurb was enticing, I would definitely read it.

-------
Unexpected Tales of a Chronicler

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:25 am
fukase says...

As in chronicle, it made me thinking it is related to some kind of fantasy. And when I read the word "unexpected", I expecting some kinda twists. Plus, a chronicler, when I looked the word up, its meaning is a person who writes accounts of important or historical events. This leads up to an expectation, historical fiction and I would like to read historical stories. :D

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

The Magenta Blood
I love Koku.
He is damn cute and should be the main character
and not some lazy old man that supposedly genius but a sucker in his own life.
Koku is Koku.
Koku is CUTE.
~ B-The Beginning (A Netflix Anime.)

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:40 pm
LordZeus says...

I'm not sure what to say on that, It's...okay, i guess. But it doesn't seem particularly exciting, or catching to the eye. Basically all you saying is reddish-purple blood. Perhaps something that has more to do with the actual book, maybe something that hints at what the book has in it. You know, something that sounds exciting. But that's just my opinion.

The Blade Chronicles (This is the title of what I plan to become a series of novels)

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:56 pm
SkyeWalker says...

It's an interesting series name; It makes me think that there is someone important with the last name 'Blade' Which is a bit strange, but you never know. Or it involves a legendary dagger/sword. Overall, I like it, it rolls of the tongue nicely.

~~~

The Children of Light

^^ Series name, Action/fantasy novel
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

425 Reviews

Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:23 pm
Vervain says...

To be frank, it doesn't sound like an action/adventure title, and brings to mind faux-religious fantasy series as well as whatever Rick Riordan's doing these days. There's really not much punch to it, and, depending on the cover, I would probably pass it over without reading the blurb. Also, if you feel the need to clarify your own genre for fear of someone getting it wrong, you might want to revise the title instead to mitigate that fear.

---

The Porcelain Girl

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:08 pm
Pretzelstick says...

Intriguing in my mind. The word "porcelain" has always painted an emotion of delicate frailness for me. Like something that on the verge of breaking. If I saw a book with this title on a shelf, I would definitively pick it up, if it was just to see what it's about.(I usually also read the blurbs so it would all depend on that.)

--
Wind's Kiss
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

Reviews: 4
Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:14 pm
IDEK says...

Wind's Kiss
Something with vampires, but without any other supernatural creatures. The main character is a teenage boy, late middle school age. Considered normal, until he finds out he's the soul mate of the current vampire queen's younger brother. He is never turned, and has no special powers. That might change, though, when news gets out of several blood-drained corpses found on school grounds, though none of them were students.

Next book title: Screams of the Woodwinds
~Queen of the Second Moon~

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:31 pm
DiskElemental says...

Definitely something to do with music, possibly a murder mystery at an orchestra? Not my cup of tea, so I'd probably pass on it. Either way, the two plural nouns in the title makes it a little awkward to say; I'd change it to "Scream of the Woodwinds" or something similar.

-------------------------------
A Light for Tomorrow
A man without a plan, or anything else for that matter. (Except a review thread).

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:57 pm
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

Hmm... Maybe a sci-fi or fantasy novel? It sounds like something interesting to read, if you can manage to create something original with it (as you know, many fantasy or SF novels/series tend to have some light related object/item/person...)
But it may actually work if you have another book (like a sequel or prequel) to do with the opposite, like "The Darkness of Yesterday" or "Yesterday's Shadow"?

The Saga of the Seasons
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

425 Reviews

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:00 pm
Vervain says...

It sounds kind of cliché high-fantasy-esque -- I think it's the word "Saga" that's throwing me off -- and I'd probably not pick it up because I have an issue with books that try to carry a single metaphor all the way through, usually related to the title. It's just a guess, based on the wording of the title.

---

The Mysterious Misfortune of Miss Scarlett Fawkes

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:14 pm
passenger says...

Reminds me heavily of the Magic Treehouse series, and maybe some other short fantasy novels that my little brother would read; most of them beginning with the main character's name (I.e. Gregor and the Code of Claw, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the Amelia Bedelia books, etc.). Some of which are classics, but many of which fall into the juvenile category. I don't know what level of readers you're hoping to capture the minds of, but unless you're writing to kids under thirteen (or hoping to write a classic, you ambitious person, you) I would suggest altering the title. I think the main thing that turns me away is the protagonist's name being stuck in there at the end. I personally am not interested in that kind of thing, but then again, I'm sure there are a lot of people who are!

~

The Perch
"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky's Perks of Being a Wallflower

Just think happy thoughts and you'll fly.
— Peter Pan