z

Young Writers Society

Ultra-short Fiction

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:24 pm
Leja says...

I walked down the road, whistling to myself, glad that it was finally spring. On my right, there was a flower. Just one single flower. The first flower of spring. Now, maybe it is socially unacceptable to talk to a flower in the middle of the road, even if it is the first flower of spring, perfectly green, its petals beginning to unfold, but for being the couragous one to grow out of the ground first, I thought that it deserved a compliment. What will you compliment today?

-89 words-

next topic: running

Random avatar

Reviews: 14
Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:50 pm
chuff88 says...

The breath rasps in my lungs as I pound along the tarmac; no time to stop and duck into an alley for a few puffs on the inhaler in my back pocket. The combination pack of 15 kinds of bath salts has already partially broken - I can feel the grains pouring down my leg through the hole in my pocket. They rub against my skin, absorbing my sweat hungrily and giving off their odours: Lavender, lilac, a sweet-smelling trail for my pursuers to follow – if they can.
I only run when I steal. I only steal for the buzz.

100 words.

Next topic:

The smell after after a summer thunderstorm

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:49 pm
darchoco says...

such a calm feeling, after a rage of nature, it is exploited by a wonderful midday bloom of beauty and fragrance. Finally, a moment i wanted to hold onto in the world. A deep breath of air fills my lungs with wonderous smells of the world. The newly laid dew glistened my eyes as I continued to inhale the crisp, clean air. My senses cleared, and all the problems that had been faced, all the issues in the world, seemed unreal and unnescesary. This was all that was needed to have a true utopia.

91 words

next subject: escaping
if you were to die today, would you be able to tell yourself that you did everything you wanted and everything you could?
life is a puzzle. want to put it together with me?

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:43 pm
Poor Imp says...

Getting out wasn't the question. White-washed wall, steel, barred window - the angles turned in on his thoughts; as he drifted, they closed in. He woke, startled.

Naturally, he could curse the hell out of it. But walls weren't half worth the words or energy; you only got reactions out of people.

Getting out was not the question; because he didn't know how. He only asked questions that had no answers - safter that way; and he was too good at it. But running was another question.

There was nowhere to run now.

Ninety-one, I think.

--

Next: sarcasm
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

816 Reviews

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:05 pm
Leja says...

I'm no good at sarcasm, no not at all. You ask me a question and I reply with a sickly sweet smile, but when my back turns, my face falls. That's the best thing I've heard all day, I'll reply when you say the deadline was moved from next month to next day. So when you or they, or he, she, we, I, ask me if I like you: even when I smile and blush, don't be surprised when the answer is no.

I'm a hopeless romantic, what can I say?
84 words, so a little bit short :shrug:

next topic: a wooded path

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:20 pm
chocolatechipmuffin says...

The leaves fall perfectly, the way you always see in movies and pictures, it's cliché, but when you see it in real life, it's breathtakingly beautiful. They swirl gently around my feet, the wind blowing them so they rush down the path. The trees close around me as I continue into the forest.
I have an urge to paint this, but I can’t paint. I walk slowly, seeing everything, saving it for later.
I’m sitting in a restaurant, but in my mind, I’m on a path through the forest. You look me straight in the forehead, dumping me, but I stare right through you, looking to see what wonder lies ahead of me on this path. Look in my eyes, watch the leaves swirl, and see the ageless wisdom of a wooded path.
a doll
"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky."
~Solomon Short

"We are all of us living in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
~Oscar Wilde

816 Reviews

Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:26 am
Leja says...

She sits on the shelf, watching as I walk into the room, always vigilant, always alert. Nothing I can do will go unnoticed, and her glass eyes will be sure to catch every movement I make. She follows me around the room, I can't escape, and yet she used to be my best friend.

---
As this is only 55 words, I'm calling it an ultra-ultra short piece. :))
---

next topic: fire drill

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:33 am
Poor Imp says...

'Firedrill! Firedrill! Firedrill!' shouted Tom, dashing like mad down the hall. 'It's not! It's real! It's -'

A girl screamed. Then, to Tom's stunned astonishment, a deluge of screaming, shouting and otherwise chaotic students came banging out of the nearest class. The first, a slight girl with freckles, fell on top of him.

'Hey!'

'FireDRILL!' someone tried to yell above the racket.

'I don't know,' said Tom to the girl, who had fallen flat beside him. 'But it's fun.'

Seems to be about eighty words...

--

Next: slipshod
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

816 Reviews

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:00 am
Leja says...

In ancient times, they cut off your hands if you built a bad house; now slipshodding anything goes. Which is why Annabell knew she would be able to get away with doing math homework at the last minute. However, if Ms. B didn't stop walking towards her, Annabell knew that she wouldn't just get her hands cut off, she'd get her grade cut off as well.

next topic: paperweight

That was a tough one, Imp.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:12 am
Trident says...

Harmless, really; this small object that merely sat on her desk and waited for her return; waited for her to put her warm fingers around it and place it upon her papers. It was dutiful.

When he finally came over, it was jealous. And when she wanted more than anything to hit him over the head, it was ready, and jumped up into her fist to help.

Next topic: Fig Newtons
Last edited by Trident on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perception is everything.

816 Reviews

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:06 am
Leja says...

Oh dear. Fig Newtons. Seemed to be the perfect choice for a dare at the time. Sitting here, however, Morgan was beginning to wish she'd chosen the path of truth. Lor knew Morgan had a crush on her brother, yet she had sent Morgan there anyway, to, of all things, build a fortress of Fig Newtons. And with Morgan's luck, he was sure to wake up in the process, not only forcing her to explain what she was doing (which she would surely do a poor job of) but cleaning up said cookies as well.

Gimmie a break; it was midnight. :P
96 words

next topic: a ring

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:45 am
scrambled_pages says...

The ring clanged lightly as it passed from drain to pipe. I stared blankly after the promise that had been lost to the murky depths. Was it a sign that my crumbling relationship was not worthy of redemption?
Sighing heavily I grabbed a wrench and bucket to retrieve my heart, all the while questioning my motives. The ring dropped to the bottom of my bucket, covered in muck, and yet the gold shone through. The circle was marred, but it was still structurally sound, it just needed some elbow grease to make it clean again.

Words: 95

Next: music (I admit that I did not read all 4 pages so I hope this hasn't been done already :)
"There is no happiness in love, except at the end of an English novel."
-Anthony Trollope

816 Reviews

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:10 am
Leja says...

Music began and the congregation looked expectantly towards the words projected onto the wall. The first verse began, punctuated chords coming from the instrumental section. Then the people began to sing. She stood outside the door, watching in awe as this group of people, unabashed, put their faith a song; only a song. Standing there, although she didn't sing a word, she felt her soul being lifted out of her body, then hitting its head in her throat. She looked up, a collective cloud hovering above the masses, raining down into each person's conscience. And she walked through the door.

100 words exactly! Squee!

next topic: the library

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:26 am
extrication says...

The library is a dark old place where the dust settles over everything and everyone. Silence reigns in sunlight-bathing dust particles. Footsteps are swallowed by thick colourless carpetting. And sometimes you have the distinct discomfort of being watched by the countless tomes that live there. But like the overused saying goes, a book judged by its cover is an adventure lost. So you wander in every now and then, the musky scents settling into you.

The library is old, but you have much to learn.

85 words. :]

topic: empathy.
because memory moves in orbits
of absence, because she holds her hands out in the rain,
and rain remembers nothing, not even how it became itself.
- Las Ruinas del Corazon, Eric Gamalinda

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:10 pm
scrambled_pages says...

The flock of well wishers left him no room to breath, but then he seemed not to notice. My feet carried me down hallways they travelled every day. Tear stained eyes could offer no help to limbs that led from memory. Third period bell rang and the normal foot traffic resumed. Still my legs would not cease, all the way to the base of the drooping willow tree my feet carried me. The headstone of my brother sat embedded in the earth, beneath old leaves and fresh dirt that had blown from the fresh plot but a few feet away.

Exactly 100 words!

Next Topic: palm fronds
"There is no happiness in love, except at the end of an English novel."
-Anthony Trollope

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
— Corrie Ten Boom