Young Writers Society

Sharing Symbolism!

265 Reviews

Reviews: 265
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:51 pm
View Likes
RavenAkuma says...

Welcome to the Thread!

I decided to create this thread for writers to talk about each others' characters, and maybe even inspire some new designs with a fun activity/challenge ~

I love using symbolism in descriptions and designs. For example, color meanings are usually a crucial part of designing anime-esque characters like mine, and I like to associate a character's magical element (or how it manifests) with characters as well. There are even some especially specific ones I thought were interesting, including (but not limited to), Flower Language (Victorian Floriography), Gemstone Uses and Meanings, Bird Symbolism (or Spirit Animals/Totems).

So that's the theme of this thread! Sharing symbolism as it relates to your own characters -or if you're not someone who features a lot of specific name characters, you could apply it to other themes and visuals in your work, or even yourself as a writer. You could use that symbolic trio I brought up before, and also bring up colors, elements, or anything else you think is significant to your character that you want to share. You may just pick up something that you could feature in your own designs ~

Spoiler! :
I thought I would start this thread with Kita, to give you an idea:

- Kita's flower would probably be the bluebell, as it represents humility. This is a common color used in her design and around her, but I've been thinking about taking it a step further and adding a little bluebell design to her dress...

- Her gemstone would probably be amethyst, symbolizing a strive for wisdom and clear-headedness. It also has associations with cures for insomnia, which she struggles with.

- Her bird would probably be the phoenix, representing rebirth, renewal, and healing. This is the general theme of her arc in the story.

- I also feature purple as an important part of her design, particularly her eyes. Not only are they reminiscent of the amethyst, but lighter shades of purple and lavender can generally represent a childlike and naive nature, which becomes part of another underlying theme in her character and development.

Share as much as you want, and have fun!

Edit: also, if you like the idea of using symbolism like this in your writing, but don't know where to start, don't be afraid to ask some questions!
Last edited by RavenAkuma on Mon May 06, 2024 2:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~ "I am a writer. Therefore, I am not sane." ~

- Edgar Allan Poe

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:12 pm
View Likes
Moonlily says...

Symbloism is big in Everbound (that just dropped a mini update yesterday if you haven't read it ) A part of me wants go and on about Lilian's name and the meaning of Lilies but at the same time I also want to encourage readers to look into it. Sometimes looking into why a author picked things can be just as entertaining as the plot itself.

Heres a hint : The use of scents in chapter one and the poem might hint to some of the ongoing themes. On top of this I would look at Lilies and take her job into account ( toxicology)
What I can talk about is the use of gray it is meant to not only represent Lilian's downward spiral and mourning of a lost ex but also her repressing her identity. Gray is very natural and bland It can go with anything like how Lilian can change herself to fit into what others want.

I can come back and go way more in depth for Lilian and some of the cast that is going to come in during later chapters.

[as a roleplayer is feeling sad about torturing her characters] GrandWild: "You're a writer, dear. Embrace it."
— GrandWild