Young Writers Society

Amidst the Roses

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:52 pm
Skull3670 says...

Name: Clumsy the Eighth Dwarf
Nationality: West Country
Appearance: Small and thickset with beautiful green eyes. He has short blonde hair and only a little face fuzz. He wears a soldiers helmet, some old baggy green robes (they were Dopeys) with the sleeves rolled up and brown trousers ending in little black boots.
Background: Born long after his seven more famous siblings had moved out, he never had much contact with people other than his mother (who was constantly having to put plasters on him). As he grew older it was evident that his clumsyness was not a trait he would grow out of and thus he was never offered the chance to apprentice as a miner like his brothers. During his adolesence his beard also became the subject of continuing mirth. It simply would not grow. Finally in desperation he threw himself into the study of magic and medicine. Eventually he found a tonic that gifted him with what little beard he has today. Finding comfort in his studies he became a rather talented healer, able to patch himself with such ease that some suspect he may even be slightly magic. Finally he headed out into the world, determined to prove himself and escape his brothers shadow.
After a particularly bad fall in the forest he was discovered by the beautiful Queen White herself. Finding the young dwarf so cute, she immediately had him taken to her castle to recover.
On recovery he found Snow in a dreadful state, so distraught at the death of her husband. With a lot of hugs and smiles, and more than a few "tonics", Clumsy was able to help her return to a reasonable, if broken hearted state. Since then he has never left her side, determined to ensure her return to the beautiful and amazing woman his brothers told him about.
Personality: Despite his repeat and continuing accidents, he maintains a cheerful and bouncy exterior. His closeness to Happy and Dopey are clearly evident in his outlook on life. He practically worships the ground Snow White walks on and likes to ride out on his donkey Giggles and watch her spar and ride.
I have looked into the eye of the storm and stared it down. I am an adrenaline junky and i know no fear.

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:43 pm
gleek456 says...

Hey! I'm going to add in a lady-in-waiting for Cinderella. :)

Name: Susanna "Susan" Madrival

Nationality: South Country

Appearance: Susan has very curly, blonde hair and greenish-bluish eyes. Susan has a heart-shaped face, and slightly rosy cheeks. Susan is petite, and has a slim figure. She is always seen smiling, and sometimes with Cinderella. Susan likes to wear light colored gowns, and simple clothes.

Spoiler! :
lauraramsey_story1.jpg
Susan
lauraramsey_story1.jpg (19.62 KiB) Viewed 331 times
vmkh5ydx6bh4v4k6.jpg
Susan II
vmkh5ydx6bh4v4k6.jpg (40.52 KiB) Viewed 331 times

Background: Before Susan got appointed to Cinderella, she lived a normal life in the South. Her mother, Lady Patrice and her late father, Sir Armande.Susan helped her mother with business in their antiques store. Her mother used to be a lady-in-waiting to the late Duchess Esmeralda, until the Duchess died of heart attack. When she gave birth to Susan, she taught her everything she was taught: etiquette, playing an instrument, etc. Susan knew Cinderella a little bit before, when her step-mother bought an antique at their store, Susan made small talk with Cinderella. When Cinderella married Prince Charming, the Royal Court decided to appoint Susan, since they know her mother.

Personality: Susan is very kind-hearted, and hard working. Susan is somewhat naive. She is a little bit mischievous and fun-loving. She might be too into her work, and sometimes overreact. As a lady-in-waiting, Susan knows her etiquette, she knows how to play the violin, horse-back ride, and so on. She doesn't mind doing all the secretarial tasks for her mistress. Susan is absolutely defenseless.
YOU'VE GOT THAT ONE THING

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:35 pm
StellaThomas says...

Let's go!

The Enchantress- Middle Country

The deed was done, and, she thought, done beautifully.

The roses tangled together overhead, the bright blooms- red, pink and white (but no yellow, while the Enchantress thought yellow a very respectable colour it didn't quite fit in with the rest) misleading in their innocence, hiding the nest of thorns underneath. Thank goodness, she thought, that dragons were thick skinned.

"Now, Your Highness," she said dryly and turned to the huge beast lumbering in her wake. "I'm quite sure you're aware of what exactly you are to do. It shouldn't be hard."

"Find people trying to get to the palace. Stop them getting to the palace," Sebastian said. He seemed bored. The Enchantress didn't like that.

"I hope you will work with more passion than that with which you speak," she said, and then sighed in satisfaction, looking to where the palace lay, glittering white walls. Inside, everybody, from the tiny four year old stable boy to the rotund prime minister to, naturally, the golden-haired maiden in the highest tower, was asleep. The Enchantress had moved the girl from the room where she'd kept the spindle to a bedroom, a canopied bed with gossamer curtains. Not that anybody else was going to see inside, but she didn't like the thought of just leaving the girl where she had fallen. No, that would be untidy.

"I will," said the dragon glumly. "No one will get in there."

"Good." She nodded at him curtly. "Then I suppose I shall be on my way. I have things to do. A whole continent waiting on my command."

Of course that wasn't true, but the Enchantress wasn't adverse to lying. Not when it made her sound so grand. "Remember. Not a soul enters those walls. In fact, I'd just kill at the first sign of movement."

She turned her back on the dragon, the long hair she was wearing that day swishing behind her back. She paused and turned back.

"Unless, of course, they're interesting. You do know how I like interesting people."

Then she took a few more steps, shut her eyes and vanished her way out of the maze of thorns.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:51 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Beauty | North Country - Beast's Castle:

"Ouch!"

Beauty gave Beast a stern look. "Don't be such a baby," she muttered, dabbing at the small wound on Beast's paw. Beast glowered back. Beauty just shook her head and went back to tending the wound. Why had he saved her from the trolls? She knew he didn't like her. Beauty scowled, pressing down a little too hard when she felt his eyes on her.

Beast growled. "Beauty!"

"Sorry," Beauty said, glancing up. Beast swiftly looked away and she sighed. He was so confusing sometimes. Besides, those trolls were nasty little critters, and Beast seemed more concerned about her safety than his own. Beauty concealed a smile. Beast really was being such a baby about a simple cut. Maybe she should distract him? "Thank you for saving me from the Goblins."

Beast went still, frowning. "They were trolls, Beauty."

"Goblins, Beast," she protested. "I could swear they were."

"Beauty..."

Beauty looked away, dipping the cloth she was holding into a bowl of warm water. "Yes, Beast?"

"Nevermind."
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

82 Reviews

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:08 pm
gleek456 says...

Cinderella- Middle Country

I gazed out the carriage window as we made our way into the Middle Country. It has been a week since I've been crowned the Princess of South Country, and wife of Prince Charming, and I am enjoying life to the fullest. Who knew that a commoner like me made it to the Royal Court? I'd like to see my step-mother's reaction again. I turn my head towards Charming. He too, was staring out the window.

"Have you been to Middle Country before?" I ask with great interest. Charming turned his attention to me, and smiled his signature "charming" smile.

"Yes. For balls and such," he answered. I nodded and smiled. I continued to look outside the window. The landscape is beautiful. Green trees, blue sky, animals roaming about. Although, I notice a sort of... vine-ish looking thing moving around the forest. I look closer to see that the vine has thorns, and roses! I widen my eyes and tap on Charming's knee frantically.

"What's wrong?" he asked. I turned to him, eyes still widened.

"There's... there's something out there," I stutter. I moved over so Charming could sit where my window was. He slowly peered in the window, as if he were expecting a troll or something.

Susan Madrival- South Country

I listen to the tapping of my shoes as I walked towards the Study Hall, where I were to meet with Prince Dominic. I entered the room, where Prince Dominic was pacing back and forth, mumbling to himself. I close the door quietly and dusted my gown. I slowly approach the worried Prince Dominic.

"You wanted to meet with me?" I ask, suddenly getting the attention of Prince Dominic. I quickly added, "your Highness?"

"Yes, Lady Susan. I have been informed about how Charming and Cinderella's trip is going, and there has been a rumour going around about them being trapped in a... rose covered forest," he explained. I give him an interested, look that says "I don't believe you". Prince Dominic sighed.

"We don't know if it's true, I don't even know if it's true either, but I'm worried," he said.

"And you asked me to meet me here because?" I started.

"Well, you're mistress is Cinderella, and my brother is your mistress's husband. I need to find them," he answered.

"Wait! But, I need to go too! Like you said, Princess Cinderella is my mistress. I need to find her too, if this rumour is true," I burst.

(Hey! Hope this is okay!)

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:38 pm
Shadowlight says...

Sebastian:

Sebastian followed behind the enchantress as she airily told him her orders and touched up any flowers she thought were drooping in the wrong direction.

"I hope you will do your duty with a little more passion then that's in your mannerisms." she said tucking a strand of hair behind her ears. "I mean what's the point of having a castle guarded by a dragon, if the dragon behaves like a little old hen?"

Sebastian sighed, his head hurt him as the enchantress's spells settled in and took up housekeeping in his psyche.

"I will follow orders, no one will get in there." He was exhausted and was barely able keep up with her light steps.
He had flown without stopping from the far north, so strong was her summons. He had almost tumbled out of the sky when he reached the forest , nigh on breaking his neck.

"Remember. Not a soul enters those walls." she said turning to him pointing a long finger at him. " In fact, I'd just kill at the first sign of movement" she waved her hand in a generalizing manner, then absentmindedly straitened a wayward rose spray. Sebastian's heart fell like a millstone, he didn't want to kill any more innocent people, but if she told him to do so, he was helpless to resist.

"But," she enchantress added after moments thought "Unless of course anyone you find interesting, you know how I love interesting people." She smiled dazzlingly then vanished leaving him alone with the sleeping castle.

Sebastian sat down with a ground shuddering thump and looked about- once he was sure she was gone. Roses and thorns as far as the eye could see, which wasn't that far in the tangled mess. If he had cared to think about it he might have been surprised that the orderly enchantress would have permitted the roses to grow so wildly, but in his present melancholy he couldn't have cared less.

Following the lead of his curses, he placed himself in the great gates, his front half outside the walls his back inside- effectively plugging up the entrance. He looked about at all the brilliant rose booms in a myriad of colors perfuming the air.

"It could use some yellow roses, aye, yellow would be nice" he said as he dozed off in the lazy dappled sunlight, listening to the twittering of countless birds.

(I hope this works, I'm still trying to get a feel for the story. Also Sebastian has a VERY light Irish sound to his voice)
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

42 Reviews

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:58 pm
PrincessOfDarkness says...

Dominic ¬

"Look, Susan, it won't be safe,"
"It won't be safe? Then why are you going!?"
"Becasue my brother's in trouble!" I yelled. I rarely lost my cool, but when I did, it was bad. I ran a hand through my hair. "You can't come, Lasy Susan,"
"But-"
"Please Susan. If not for yourself, do it for me," I tool her hand and kissed it. "Goodbye,"
I strolled out of the room and prepared to leave.
Signature Pending

82 Reviews

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:14 pm
gleek456 says...

I stared at the door where Prince Dominic just left. I shake my head and angrily follow him. He finally stopped at the Royal Stables. He was gearing his horse up, saddle, reigns and such. I approah him with my hands on my hips.

"Prince Dominic, I will not stand for this. I am Princess Cinderella's mistress, and I need to find her as much as you need to find Prince Charming," I said.

Prince Dominic stopped setting his horse's saddle up and turned to me.

"Lady Susan, we all know how hopeless you are when it comes to fighting," he started. I roll my eyes.

"Well, that's why you're there," I shot back.

42 Reviews

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:03 pm
PrincessOfDarkness says...

Dominic ¬

I loved that flare in her. Not many girls had it. I laughed. She was feisty.
"Look, Lady Susan, I don't want you hurt! Don't you understand?"
"That's why you are there to look after me!"
"Please, I'm not taking you, OK?"
"I'm coming-"
"No, you're not,"
She scowled at me. I glared back. She placed her hands on her hips as I finished sadling the horse and jumped on.
"Do not under any follow me,"
I doubted she'd listen.
Signature Pending

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:21 pm
Rosendorn says...

Beast | North Country— Beast's Castle

She was tending him.

The complete strangeness of this left Beast unable to complete his sentence, leaving him to simply whine and sometimes grumble. He tried not to growl too much so as not to scare her away.

He thought she would leave once he'd taken care of those trolls. He thought she'd leave many times over the past six months, and she'd proved him wrong each time. But she'd been so far away from the palace, when he'd expressively forbidden her from traveling that far.

Maybe she was about to prove him right.

He let out a soft growl as she tended a bigger wound. "You're lucky I got there when I did."

She was silent. Beast realized he had to ask this question, despite already knowing the answer. After six months, she had just been wasting his time all along.

He growled a bit louder. "You wanted to leave, didn't you?"

"Of course not," she snapped back, eyes narrowed. "You're just worrying about me."

The first statement took him aback, while the second made him bristle. Of course he was worrying about her.

But his servants had constantly been reminding him to try and be nice to Beauty. She was the closest to love he'd gotten in years.

He shook his fur out now that Beauty was finished and stalked on all fours towards his cloak. "If you did want to leave, where would you want to go?"

He could stand it if, maybe, somehow, she'd come back once she was finished.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:25 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Elia | The Palace's Grand Hall, Atlantis

A song wafted sleepily through the hallways of the palace, creeping under doors and echoing eerily across the gardens. Everyone knew it was Liliana again. She was probably busy trying out that new toy their father had gotten her for her fifteenth birthday, which was a few days ago. Another year before she would go to the surface, Elia reflected, as she swam listlessly around the grand hall. Another year gone by, out of three-hundred years...and then, oblivion.

Their grandmother's two-hundred-and-sixth birthday was approaching steadily. She had taken to complaining about her ill-health nowadays.

"My back hurts." "My nose feels like it's falling off. Fetch me some of the balm, would you dearie?" "Stop making so much noise! I have no intention of becoming deaf in my other ear as well!"

Any more, and Elia was sure she was going to go deaf herself, since Grandma usually complained to her out of everyone in the castle. Elia could never quite figure out why - perhaps it was because Elia was the only one who seemed close to being bored enough to listen to everyone's problems. Or maybe she just looked a lot like the late Queen Alena...

"Elia!"

Elia turned around; it was Lyana, their oldest sister. She was turning twenty-five next month - nothing something she was particularly happy about. And indeed, she didn't look very happy now either, with her dark gold hair all in a mess and her shawl looking more tattered than it was earlier in the morning. Her dark green eyes pierced severely into Elia's soft teal ones. "I've been looking all over for you. Where've you been?"

"Oh." Elia tried not to look too shifty. "I was...playing with Liliana. You can ask her if you want."

"Tch." Lyana rolled her eyes. "Don't ask me to go to Liliana. I know both of you are in on this."

"In on what?" Elia looked wide-eyed and innocent. "Are you accusing me of wrong-doing, sister?"

"I'm accusing you of breaking the law, Elia." Lyana looked severely at her. "And I'm going to tell Father."

"Tell Father about what, exactly?" Elia demanded. "Are you threatening me, Lyana?"

It was at that moment that Coral, one of their other sisters, floated in, carrying a pair of shears. Lyana huffed irritably while Elia giggled. "Lost your way again, Coral?"

"I seem to have, yes..." Coral beamed at Elia. "I'm on my way to tend the garden. Would you help me, Elia?" Lyana coughed, and Coral turned to her with a surprised expression as if noticing her for the first time. "Oh, hello Lyana."

"Hello Coral." Lyana shot a glance at Elia. "We're not done yet, Elia. I will tell Father, you know." Elia looked after her as she swam off. Elia sighed and looked at Coral, shrugging nonchalantly as if she didn't know what Lyana was talking about. Why did everyone have to be so serious? It wasn't as if she was talking to the humans...

Although she did want to, so very much.
Last edited by CelticaNoir on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:39 pm
Eliza:) says...

Charming - Middle Country

Charming always got bored on long trips. Even the best roads were bumpy, jerking the carriage repeatedly. By the end, the landscape seemed to blend into one dull, green color.

But he tried to make sure Cinderella, the girl of her dreams, and now his lovely wife, was enjoying herself. She had mentioned earlier how lovely everything was. And she seemed perfectly content. Which was good. The happier his wife was, the happier he was. She deserved perfection, and so he smiled and made conversation.

He was mildly startled when Cinderella tapped his knee. He turned towards her. "What's wrong?" he asked, genuinely worried. She was clearly upset, but Charming couldn't understand why. It had been a rather quiet journey.

"There's... there's something out there," she whispered, pointing outside.

He moved closer to the window. What was she looking at? There wasn't a creature in sight. Which, though strange for this area, wasn't too concerning.

"I'm sorry, love," he told Cinderella, "but what is it you want me to see?"

"The vine! It's moving."

The vine? He looked out again. Oh, Lord, he said to himself. He gulped. "I see what you mean." He tried to smile, but was sure Cinderella could see how fake it was. "Don't worry, love," he told her. "It's nothing to worry about." Or at least, he hoped so.
There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
-Ernest Hemingway

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:53 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Beauty | North Country - Beast's Castle:

Where would she go indeed? Beauty sat still, thinking about that. The only reason she had left was because of that rumour about her friend. Not that there could be any truth in the rumour. Then again, Briar Rose had vanished right around the same time Beauty had headed off in search of the castle. Beauty sighed and set down the bowl. Beast certainly did seem to care about her, especially if he was worried enough to leave the castle to find her. After all, he rarely left his castle lately, and when he did, it wasn't much further than the courtyard. Had he been worried about her?

Beauty stood and crossed to the fireplace, gazing into the flames. "I would go looking for my friend," she said, very softly, and turned to look for Beast only to find the room empty. She sighed again, unsure if her had heard her or not. Probably not. He did tend to do that--disappear on her. She shook her head and left the room, wandering through the halls. It was best not to dwell on that though.

As Beauty reached the kitchen, she frowned. He had seemed so very worried when he fought off the trolls. Just how much did he care for her? And her for him? Was it--dare she say it?--love? Possibly. But Beauty couldn't be sure. Resigned, she entered the kitchen and joined her friends there in conversation.

"Beauty!" called a chubby little man, who somewhat resembled a clock.

"Basile," Beauty said and sat down at the table in the middle of the kitchen. "What do you have planned for supper?"

"Oh, it's a wonderful dish. Beautiful! Parfaite! You will love it!" And he continued on like so for some time...
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

82 Reviews

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:48 pm
gleek456 says...

Cinderella- Middle Country

I nodded, hoping his words were true. We continued on our journey for a few minutes, until the carriage stopped. My wart stopped along with it. I look to Charming, who was peering out the window.

"What happened?" I ask. Charming moved his head out of the window, and his face looked worried.

"I don't know," he answered. The carriage door opened, and the carriage driver stood outside.

"I'm afraid you're going to have to step outside your Highnesses," he instructed. I bite my lip as I stepped out of the carriage. I dusted off my gown and checked the sleeves. I took the chance to look around while Charming talked to the carriage driver.

I notice that the trees were... gone. I couldn't see any trees, only these vines with thorns. I examine one thorn, and notice a rose blooming beside it. I delicately brush my fingers over the petals, then return to the Charming an the carriage driver.

I watched as Prince Dominic swing his leg over his horse, so that he was in riding position. I cross my arms and shake my head.

"I'll find them and bring them back," he promised. Prince Dominic pulled on the reigns and off he went, leaving me in the dust. I absolutely won't stand for this!

I quickly walk back into the castle and approach the Royal Dressmaker. I smile sweetly.

"Do you have any extra riding clothes for me?" I ask. The dressmaker was to busy to say anything, so she just handed me a set of riding clothes, though they looked like the sort of clothes I wore at home.

After changing, I run to the stables and begin setting up my horse. This one was white, with a black mane and tail. I swing my legs over the horse so I am in riding position. I look back to the castle, pulled on the reigns, and finally began my journey.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:24 pm
StellaThomas says...

The Enchantress-South Country

Because she didn't have much else to do, the Enchantress spun her way over to South Country. If she were to corrupt a member of a royal family from each kingdom, which seemed a fantastic if somewhat whimsical plan, then, by going in a linear fashion, South Country was next.

The palace in South Country was made of pretty yellow stone with ivy up the sides. It was the sort of place the Enchantress approved of. She settled herself on the roof and scanned the insides. Royal blood was easy for a faerie of her experience to sense. But there was only the feeble old queen and king.

Well, they were no fun at all.

Down in the stables, the stable lads rushed to answer the questions of the dark beauty who had just appeared to them. "Where is Prince Dominic?" she asked sweetly.

"Gone to help his brother, hasn't he?" one of them said lazily, chewing at something she couldn't identify. "Charming's gone and got himself into a spot of trouble in Middle Country."

The Enchantress had to struggle not to laugh. Sometimes, her skills surprised even her. To have two young royals stuck in one forest... it was simply too delicious.

"And our crown prince," she said in the sultry voice that came with this guise, "has no doubt bravely ridden off to save his little brother."

The boy shrugged. "I s'pose so. And that Lady Susan. Don't know how long she'll last though." The stable boy chortled.

"And why is that?"

"Took a horse that's prone to going lame." He guffawed with his friends.

The Enchantress let many things slide. But intentional, pointless cruelty was not one of them (and those who accused her of it met unfortunate ends, because her cruelty was never pointless). "That wasn't very nice of you at all."

"Don't see why it's any of your business," he said.

The Enchantress smiled and shrugged and turned the pretty little body around. She knew the stable boy was watching it retreat. It was all too easy, even with her back turned, to give him the ears, nose and tail of a pig. She smiled as she heard him scream- high and girlish.

Then she went to help the poor lady-in-waiting.

Or, at least, help after a fashion.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases...
— John Keats