Young Writers Society

The Dragon-Slayers?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:39 am
Griffinkeeper says...

~Arthen Hajir~

I landed in the mud puddle with a big KER-PLUNK! Immediately I got up and shook my wings out. I'd waterproofed them, but the dirt was unsightly.
"HEY! Are you okay?" Customers!
"I'm very well, thanks in no small part to my comfortable foot soles. Do you want a pair? I happen to have some that are reasonably priced."
"Don't you have talons though?"
"See? Even with talons on, they are still the most comfortable thing around. Here, feel it!" I took a sole out my bag and gave it to him. I winced slightly as he put his big dirty fingers on it. That would hurt resale value alright.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:43 am
Jiggity says...

Um, why has Dq's character suddenly got brightly coloured green hair, when in his profile he clearly states that his charcter has Grey hair.

I'll come back and add something later.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

798 Reviews

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:34 pm
Areida says...

Yep... I made it... :D

Okay, so here goes nothing.

Name: Lily Alanna Hamperthane
Heritage: Mostly human, with a bit of elf and a touch of dwarf.
Skin Colour: Fair
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 135
Build: Slim, but looks solid. She always feels short, but her neck never bends and it gives her the appearance of being slightly taller than she really is.
Hair Colour: Very dark brown, nearly black. It used to be long, but in classic rebellion she chopped it short before she left home and it now barely rests on her shoulders, though she usually keeps it secured in a tight bun at the base of her neck.
Eyes: Green, and very big. They're her paternal grandmother's eyes and what she considers to be her only attractive feature.

Parents: Lord Randolph and Lady Elaine Hamperthane
Siblings: Two brothers, one 19 and one 10
Pet: A small peregrine falcon named Malachai

Personality: Lily is a fighter, first and foremost. She's also a bit of a tomboy, in that she loves to be outside and avoids wearing dresses at all costs and one of her favourite things in the world is mud. She climbs trees like a squirrel, runs fast, jumps high and far, and loves every minute of it. Make her sit still without good reason, however, and you may never regain her trust. Lily hates frivolity and thus speaks very little. She is often embarrassing to her parents because of their great respect for decorum and society, two things she despises.
History: Lily has run away from home and fallen in with a band of travellers she knows her family would find less than savory. This bothers her very little, since she has never considered herself attractive and has not been told otherwise. She hopes to escape the life of lace and balls and grand parties that would become hers were she to stay with her family.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

863 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:55 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Gee, so many fighters.

798 Reviews

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:05 am
Areida says...

Lily be a rebel.

Besides, I didn't figure on a goody-goody travelling along with a bunch of miscreants would be too terribly believable. :P But maybe so... hmm... oh well. She's made, I'm done. I'll try to make a post soon. :D
Got YWS?

- Dale Carnegie

798 Reviews

Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:42 am
Jiggity says...

In this group there should be someone evil; someone be a villain.
~Dirk Stone~

Dirk watched in growing horror as the Griffon pranced about, spouting slogans and making a general fool of himself, all in the hope of making a sale. He felt his eyes chill over with disdain and disappointment…all that killing power, that sheer animal ferocity reduced to a mere salesman. However, he could allow none of his true feelings to show, so he turned his attention to the group around him and what a strange group it was: apart from himself and several villagers, there was an odd-looking old man in a sodden white cloak, a figure who even from here looked vaguely elvish, all among others whose features remained shadowed by the night.

How had such a group formed so very quickly, in the middle of a sleepy, near-forgotten village? He didn’t know and he wasn’t sure he wanted to find out; his gut instinct told him something was wrong here…
Interrupting his thoughts, and confirming his suspicions that something was wrong, came the sound of thunder—the thunder of galloping horses. Looking about him, he realized no one else had noticed anything, being too spellbound by the griffon’s sales pitch. Sighing, he drew his sword— made by a dwarven master craftsmen—and turned in time to see a company of mounted knight’s ride into manifest out of the storming, swirling night...

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:27 pm
sabradan says...

Valin:

I was watching all of this spectacle from inside the tavern. Ah, how the spirits, and warm fire was welcome in such a storm! But, alas, it was not to be. After the Griffon landed, hard on the ground and began making a fool of himself by reducing himself to a mere salesman, betraying the noble roots of his race, I payed closer attention to the human. Soon, I noticed him draw his sword and turn his head to look in the distance. "Ah, yes, the barbarians are spooked a little too easily," I thought to myself and decided to go investigate things further for myself. I pulled my cloak on around me, and pulled the hood over my head so that my face was immersed in shadow, and walked out into the balmy, stormy night.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

798 Reviews

Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:08 am
Areida says...

Lily

My group was going to blow my cover.

This was completely ridiculous. I should have just travelled alone, but I'd feared bandits and robbers and decided a group was the safest way to go. Now I was reconsidering.

I pulled my cloak further over my head and crossed my arms over my chest as I leaned against a tree and attempted to disappear into the mist. Don't be noticable. Just let them ignore you.

Good.
Got YWS?

- Dale Carnegie

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:05 am
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

Im not a fighter.....

Hearing the horses I turned around the mud sucking at my boots, my white cloak swirling around me as I held my bow and arrows; still ready, but down at my side, just in case. Seeing it was a large group of unthreatening looking people I put my arrows back into my quiver and slung by bow across my back, and payed the group no more heed.
Walking past the man with the sword and the frantically talking salesgriffon, I ventured towards the woods to set up camp, only to see some other cloaked person leave the tavern and sneak into the shadows.
Last edited by Dargquon Ql'deleodna on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:27 am
Ego says...

Name: Thorgrin Thundersmith
Heritage: Half Dwarf
Class: Warrior Priest (Runesmith)
Skin Colour: Heavily Bronzed
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 225
Build: VERY solid--heavily muscled as only a hybrid of dwarf and human could be.
Hair Colour: Blonde--long, pulled back usually.
Eyes: Golden.
Weapon of Choice: Maul (Great Hammer)
Equipment:
--Plate Armor
--Runestones: Healing and PRotection runes cast upon them that let him heal himself or others.
Parents: Benton Thundersmith and Lily Epperson
Purpose in the Kingdom: Hired by the king as a war advisor and a tactician.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:24 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Could you change your purpose? It would be easier if your character had some boring duty he was trying to escape from.

Also, what are the runes and where are they?

Maybe something like a hat?

798 Reviews

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:25 pm
Areida says...

*tries to revive*

C'mon guys... this one looks like fun and I don't want it to die. :(
Got YWS?

- Dale Carnegie

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:34 am
sabradan says...

so post, Ari. My character is at a point where he can't do anything until others do.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

798 Reviews

Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:45 am
Jiggity says...

I think it lies with me in this instance. My post, which will allow this to take off once more will come tomorrow. After my post tomorrow, there will be a moment when the other shadowy people only briefly reffered to, will be able to come out and announce themselves. So if you want to be a part of the original group think up a charcter and prepare to introduce them tomorrow.

798 Reviews

Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:19 am
Jiggity says...

Dirk Stone carefully sheathed his blade, as it became apparent that the knights meant them no harm. They rode up slowly now, wary of the armed and very dangerous barbarian.
“Tis a strange time to be out and about, is it not?” Asked the leader of the company “Even stranger for such a…a…group of foreigners to be here, in the remotest part of the kingdom!” he said, gesturing to the gently smoking, collection of huts.

“No stranger than it is for a full company of his Majesty’s Guard to find it necessary to ride out and greet us” he retorted smoothly, being well equipped in diplomacy. He didn’t know why he grouped himself in with these strangers, just that a gut instinct impelled him to do so.

“Ah” was the reply. Gently, the knight Captain took off his helmet, allowing his burnished gold hair to fall free and gradually become soaked as drizzling rain began to fall; the herald before the onslaught. Bold blue eyes surveyed Dirk with new respect, “Perhaps it is at that.” The knight deliberated for a moment, analyzing the exotic band before making a decision,

“I am Knight Captain Goddard, and I am here on the behalf of His Majesty to welcome you to the kingdom and to thank you for coming, for we sorely need your expertise in the slaying of the be-damned dragon!” he said.

Dirk stared at him, nonplussed. Of all the things he’d expected—something along the lines of “you’re under arrest” or “prepare to die”—this had been last on the list. Okay, so it hadn’t been there at all but he was till shocked, a reaction he felt mirrored in the others, who had gathered about him as the knight was speaking. Even the chatterbox of a griffin was quiet. Mistaking their silent shock for refusal, Goddard hurriedly motioned one of his aides forward. The youngster urged his forward, then, grunting with exertion he dropped a large chest onto the floor; it broke open on impact, and the shine of a tonne of gold spilled forth.

“Here is the promised amount, just as you asked” Goddard assured them hurriedly “half now, half when the job is completed.”

It was this that snapped Dirk out of his reverie. His eyes lit with the reflected glow of gold, combined with greed, he stepped forward, “I apologize for our slowness in responding, Knight Captain, but you must understand that we never dreamed of being received so early” he said contritely “Now, my lord, if you’d but let us deliberate for a moment, we can be on the way within the hour.”

So saying, he turned to the others and slowly herded them away from the knights, who began to dismount and make camp.

“Okay, so we have a situation on our hands, one that we could take advantage of with huge benefits” Dirk said slowly, addressing the group “I personally believe we should take the job, but I won’t do this without your consent. Obviously we’ll need to introduce ourselves to give the impression of camaraderie” he said looking first at the griffin then slowly round the group—only half of whom he could see— “My name is Salim Stone” he said, lying smoothly “and who do I have the honor of fighting with?”

You know how hard it is to feel like an extreme falcon-headed combat machine when somebody calls you "chicken man"?
— Rick Riordan, The Red Pyramid