z

Young Writers Society

Claim a Character (Quickly) and Get Going!

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:35 pm
emmaline49 says...

Alright. This is a story I’ve been working on, but it’s making rather slow progress, so I hoped you guys could help me out with the plot/character development. That would just be fantastic. :)
So, it’s a story about a family living in Chicago. There are five kids, and the story’s focused on them and their lives and interactions. They love to participate in school shows, they perform a lot of rock or pop songs and they’re really talented. You can choose the songs for them to do if you like. :)
Here are the characters, in descending order from oldest to youngest:

Luke
Looks: Brown hair, green eyes, fair skin, lean but strong
Orientation: Gay
Personality: Funny, charismatic, goofy, likable, not feminine but is proud to be gay
Musical Talent: Singer

Agnatha
Looks: Dark hair, dark eyes, fair skin, slender
Orientation: Straight
Personality: Timid, quiet, kind, thoughtful
Musical Talent: Back-up singer

Steven
Looks: Dark hair, dark eyes, fair skin, skinny
Personality: I haven’t figured it out yet so it’s up to you to decide!
Musical Talent: Drums/keyboard

Julia
Looks: Red hair, blue eyes, fair skin, stronger than she looks
Personality: Sociable, smart, nice to people she’s close to, sticks up for herself
Musical talent: Great singer

Ava
Looks: Dark hair, dark eyes, fair skin, slender but could kick your butt:)
Orientation: Gay
Personality: Tough, independent, smart
Musical talent: Singer, electric guitar

With the exception of Steven, please keep my characters IN CHARACTER. I don’t want Luke chatting up a girl or Ava letting someone walk all over her!
Enjoy :)
PS: Sorry for the uber-long post.
PPS: Thank you!
A Note On Ratings: Right now I'm giving it a high rating because my characters like to swear, but not too much. You don't have to swear if you don't want to, however.
Last edited by emmaline49 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In the midst of winter/I found there lay within me/an eternal summer

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:03 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Do I just claim a charrie or something? If so...I call Ava!
Live, Love, Laugh

Reviews: 3
Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:04 pm
MyStoryline says...

Hmmmm...Julia please!!!

17 Reviews

Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:43 pm
emmaline49 says...

You've got 'em! Use them wisely. ;)

17 Reviews

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:31 pm
emmaline49 says...

So sorry for the double post, but I think I'll take Luke. I really don't want to see anyone else playing him. :) Want to start without the others or shall we wait for more players?

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:44 pm
BondGirl007 says...

Can I have Steven?
"I'd rather be hated for being who I am, then loved for who I'm not."

84 Reviews

Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Start, start, start!!! (No offense people. Haha)
Live, Love, Laugh

17 Reviews

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:56 am
emmaline49 says...

Of course you can have Steven! Somebody start us up!

84 Reviews

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:01 am
fictionfanatic says...

I'll try...

Ava:

I hummed the music to the song Ain't That a Bitch by Aerosmith as I doodled on my binder. Glancing up at the clock, I smiled. Five more minutes 'till this boring school day ends.

Running my hand through my very short, black hair, I began to put my stuff away. When the bell rang, I pulled my black hat on and headed out of the room and towards my locker. As I walked down the hall, I rolled my eyes at the dumb girls who acted fake for the guys around them. Idiots.

I felt their judging eyes on my when I walked by, but I decided long ago that I was going to ignore them.

Reaching my locker, I swiftly spun the dial. Pulling open the green door, I three all of my book in, grabbed my black and white checkered hoodie I stole from Steven two months ago as well as my homework, and slammed the door shut. As I headed for the bus the obnoxious kid named Tyler came up to me.

"Hey Ava, so, um, Claire told me to tell you she like you." He said, smothering a laugh.

Claire rushed up and screamed, not thinking of my feelings, "No! No no no no! He's lying! I'm straight. Straight!"

Rolling my eyes, I walked a little faster. Guys are so immature.

Tyler kept pace with me and said "Hey Ava, what's it like to be a girl who likes girl?" He kept trying to act funny, trying to impress his dumb friends who laughed along.

Not getting a reaction from me, he pressed on, "Some of the guys are coming over my house this weekend, wanna come?"

That was it!

Whipping around to face him I punched him square in the nose.

I heard it crack and he let out a yell, grasping at his nose screaming "You just broke my nose! Dude, she just broke my nose!"

Pulling my hat down a little further, I ignored the commotion and went out to the bus, pretending not to notice the teachers trying to get my attention and yell at me.

When I got home, Mom and Dad were standing there, the phone next to them. When they saw me, they cleared their throat.

"Ava, is there somehting we should know?" My Mom asked.

"Hmmmm...nope." I attempted to go up the stairs but was called back down by my dad.

I could see my siblings hanging around the edge of the kitchen, which has no door, listening in. Seeing that I'm the youngest, I'm in eighth grade and get home fourty five minutes after them.

"What do you want me to say Dad? I'm sorry I punched him? Because I'm not." My anger flared and my papers crinkled in my balling up fist.

My Mom calmly said "Ava, you need to control your temper. You can't keep punching people in school. This is the fourth parent I've gotten a call from this year."

Getting defensive and emotional I yelled, "Mom! People in my school are soulless jerks and pick on everyone different from them." Tears threatened to fall down my cheeks so I blinked them back and continued "If your not a girl who is wearing seven inch heels with a skirt small enough to fit a two year old and you don't act like a dumb, idiotic blonde, no one likes you and you're alienized!"

My parents just sat there. They could never really say anything back to me about these things, because I was always defending myself because I'm a lesbian.

"Middle school sucks!" I said, turning away from them and heading into the kitchen. My siblings scrambled away from the door and pretended to be busy.

*Hope this is alright!*
Live, Love, Laugh

17 Reviews

Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:57 pm
emmaline49 says...

*Alright? You're doing a fantastic job!*

Luke:

My little sister punched somebody in the nose today. I have taught her well. I took a drag of my cigarette and threw it on the ground, putting it out with the toe of my shoe. I could hear the distant strains of 'Radioactive' by Kings of Leon coming froim someone's apartment window, and I nodded my head along to the music.
Leaning up against the wall, I heaved a sigh. Today had been a rough day at school. I got the usual 'You stupid little gay, why don't you...?' from the other guys at school, and I'd been too damn tired to beat any of them up, Even my sister had kicked more ass than me.
God, it was so humiliating.

84 Reviews

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:45 am
View Likes
fictionfanatic says...

Question...what kind of house do we live in? What are our parents like?
Live, Love, Laugh

17 Reviews

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:52 am
emmaline49 says...

The house is nice, not too fancy. Your mom is really smart and nice, an author, and your dad is quiet and also an author. They're great parents, but they don't always understand their kids. (What parents do?)

84 Reviews

Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:20 am
fictionfanatic says...

(Mine do. Haha)

Sooo...maybe we should wait for other people to join so it's not just you and I posting.
Live, Love, Laugh

17 Reviews

Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:28 am
emmaline49 says...

Sounds cool. :)

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:29 pm
BondGirl007 says...

-Steven-

"What do you think she did?"

"Who knows, it's Ava...it could be anything."

"Probably mouthing off to a teacher again."

"Or cutting class."

I watched my siblings crowd around the door frame trying to listen to the hushed whispering of our parents in the dining room.

"Twenty bucks says she clocked someone again," I said grabbing another handful of dry cereal.

I tossed the marshmallow bits into the air, and catching them expertly in my mouth with ninja quickness. Only three pieces managed to fall on the dark marble counter top I sat cross legged on. I reclined back leaning against the side of the fridge, tossing the fallen marshmallows at Aggie. She turned to glare at me, opening her mouth, ready to give me some lecture on how throwing food was barbaric behaver and unsanitary no doubt. Luckily the front door slammed, grabbing her attention, as Ava came into the house. We all quietly listened to her conversation with mom and dad.

------------------------

"What do you want me to say Dad? I'm sorry I punched him? Because I'm not." HA I was right.

"Totally called it!" I said with triumph. All the others did was shush me and go back to their eavesdropping...assholes.

They scattered as soon as Ava stormed into the kitchen, all trying to look like they were doing something super important, and failing at it I might add.

"Heya Munchkin," I said, sticking my feet out onto the kitchen island, blocking her path as I ruffled her black hair with affection.

Death glare.

"So who'd you sock this time kiddo?"

That got a slight smile of satisfaction out of her.

"Tyler Moore."

"Tyler Moore that little shit over on Harrison street?"

She nodded, her smile growing a little bit more. "I think I might've broken his nose."

"That's my girl!" I said giving her a highfive. She winced a little as our hands slapped together and I noticed the redness of her knuckles. "How's the hand?" I asked hopping down from my perch on the countertops.

"Been worse," She replied with a chuckle. "You should see the other guy!"

"Bet you rearranged his face," Grabbing an ice pack from the freezer, I handed it to her. "And by the way I want my sweatshirt back you little thief," I said yanking the hood over her eyes.

*How's that?*
"I'd rather be hated for being who I am, then loved for who I'm not."

The chains of habits are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.
— Warren Buffet