z

Young Writers Society

The Commanding 5.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:18 pm
MilkNCookies says...

Spoiler! :
This is based on a story I am writing, but I figured you guys would like that as well!

Spoiler! :
(Not so) long time ago, in a land (not so) far far away...

There was once Six golden, jewel-encrusted instruments, and when together, they are called 'the commanding five'. Each one had it's two players. They can only be played by a person who was made for this instrument. If played by one of them, they can conduct magic. Yes, magic, as in creating fire and healing. Each instrument represents different things. Each instrument gives a type of immortality to it's player. They can't die of natural causes, though they can be killed. The flute player is first to go. The rest follow suit before there is only one left- Lyndaline Tripp, a euphonium player. And when the neighboring country of Seriaus invades, it becomes clear that their death's were no accident. Lyndaline must find new players, and fast.

10 musically-gifted students receive a letter for a scholarship to Lyndaline Tripp's Musical University, a well known school for up and coming musicians. When they come, they find that they were summoned for far more then a scholarship. They were summoned to be introduced to the Commanding 5 - and to save their country.

Each of these children, ranging from 12 to 18, are clearly the best musicians for their instruments of their age, coming from around the world.If the commanding 5 give their consent, they're training will begin immediately.

They must defeat the invading Seriaus, with the help of a 50,000 man army, but there is one problem.

There are also the Three microphones. They are called simply 'The three'. They can produce dark magic when sung by the right person. They are in the hands of the enemy.

Now, the children must somehow defeat the experienced singers and their 100,000 man army. Their training must begin now.

0 left!Saxophone, either Alto or Baritone- The instrument of innocence.
1 leftTuba- The instrument of love.
1 left?Clarinet/Oboe- The instrument of power.
0 left?Flute- The instrument of softness.
0 left!Trumpet- The instrument of luxury.
(only available to one) Euphonium- The instrument of desire.

There can be more then one of each instrument. You are one of these 10.

Each player, over time, develops a mind-bond with their instrument. Yes, they can speak, telepathically.

Rules-
Spoiler! :
No God Modding
Romance allowed but nothing to graphic
All YWS Rules apply
Post Regularly
No extreme foul language
No perfect characters

Slots-
1. DaSpetsnaz- Mike Jackson - Trumpet
2.ReisePiecey- Roo Willow- Flute
3.Kaywiia- Lucy Calloway- Alto Saxophone
4.Mazzi- Emma Wells- Tuba
5. Fictionfanatic- Dakota Smith- Baritone Saxophone
6.MisunderstoodDreamer- Stephanie- Flute (or oboe)
7.Ladyofthedeathroses-??????- Oboe
8.Bro-Terza Rima-Trumpet
9.EccentricityAside-William Sylvester-????

Code: Select all
    Name:

Instrument:

Appearance:(Picture or Written)

Personality:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Dislikes:

Other:

History:
Last edited by MilkNCookies on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:05 am
MisunderstoodDreamer says...

This seems really interesting. I might join, but I don't know if I'll have time. I'll try though! :)
I am a PUZZLE
yet to be put TOGETHER

But at the same time, I'm just one PIECE
still trying to figure out where I FIT IN

49 Reviews

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:09 am
MilkNCookies says...

Name: Lyndaline Tripp

Instrument: Euphonium-
Spoiler! :

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Personality: Patient and caring, she is a mother who isn't afraid to get her hands dirty. She always seems to be able to invent cool, new ways to teach lessons, weather it be based on a subject or overall life lessons. She's a very experienced euphonium player. Cool and collected under pressure, you can rely on Mrs. Tripp. She would easily give her life for one of her children, or eventually, children. Loving and caring, she is a favorite amongst the children of the neighborhood. She has

Strengths: Cool head, experienced.

Weaknesses: Older, arthritis.

Likes: Children, Commanding 5, Helping, animals, Music, Euphonium.

Dislikes: The three (Microphones), mean people.

Other: Is married, though Mr.Tripp will not or rarely come into the story. She also has a scar running down her entire left arm.

History: She was chosen when she was 20 for euphonium. Underwent extensive training from there, living with her friends and fellow players of the 5. She was heartbroken when she lost them, but she is set on making these kids as dear to her than her old friends. You can find her crying sometimes.

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:39 am
DaSpetsnaz says...

Name: Mike Jackson

Instrument: Trumpet

Appearance:
Spoiler! :
teenage-boys-hairstyles-leonardo.jpg
teenage-boys-hairstyles-leonardo.jpg (42.55 KiB) Viewed 497 times

Personality: Acts very dark and mysterious, but on the outside he is very kind and loving. If you can get on his good side, you will be rewarded.

Strengths: Playing the trumpet, is very fast, and is muscular. He is good at hand-to-hand fighting.

Weaknesses: He is not good at most things if he is put under pressure.

Dislikes: Huge cats, snobs, and the three microphones

Other: He is up for love, so have fun. :wink:

History: When he was two, his parents gave him his first trumpet, but he learned to play it at five. The Seriaus invaders killed both his parents at 8, and he wants to win the war for revenge.
"Is this the real life, or is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality."

-Queen

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:44 am
Sassafras says...

Name: Roo Willow

Instrument: Flute
Spoiler! :

Appearance :(Picture or Written)
Spoiler! :
She has wide green eyes with flecks of gold in them. She also wears a silver locket around her neck with a picture of herself and Willow in it. She wears pleated plaid skirts, boots, and a white shirt with a tie to match her skirt. It's not uniform; it's just how she dresses.

Personality: Roo is soft spoken but determined. She likes to smile a lot and is completely dedicated to her music. Whenever she can, she likes to practice, preferably in a nice garden or a quiet place. When she is playing, she does so with her eyes close; blocking off her sight so that her other senses can be used to their full potential. She hates fighting and when people yell a lot, in general, anything excessive. Too much of anything annoys her and, if she feels as if people are being extreme, she will remove herself from the situation, physically, mentally, or both. She loves to hear people talk unless what they are saying is offensive or in any way rude. Really, she's a nice and sweet girl, but sometimes too sweet and has a tendency to be a bit more naive than what should be allowed. She treats everyday like it may be her last and takes nothing for granted.

Strengths: Her determination. Flute magic. Her senses when her eyes are closed are heightened. She's quiet.

Weaknesses: She can't really fight. She's too naive sometimes and can be easily persuaded when she has no other reason to suspect anything evil out of that person.

Likes: Her flute. Quiet and calm places. Hearing stories and listening to other's talk. Animals, especially Kangaroos, and nature.

Dislikes: Loudness. Anything excessive. Rude people. Fighting.

Other: She never takes off her locket and she carries a plush kangaroo with her on a keychain fastened onto her skirt.

History: She does not know anything about her real parents or life before Willow. Roo's mother died giving birth, she was a poor and homeless lady that had nowhere to go and no one left in the world for her. While on the streets one day, she got raped by a bunch of drunkards and that's how she became pregnant. She wanted to keep her daughter and raise her to be a loving and fun child, but she knew she couldn't given her current situation, so, during the pregnancy, she finally decided to give Roo to an adoption agency but, she never got to carry that out because she died during birth.
It was late at night when Roo was born, in a dirty alley, and a lady walking home from her late shift heard the crying. She followed the noises to the birth sight and, upon her horror, she saw that the mother was dead and took it upon herself to raise the child. This woman's name was Willow. Roo grew up and Willow didn't give her a name, she let the child name herself. One day at the age of five, while Roo was watching Animal Planet, she saw a Kangaroo and, when the announcer said the name, she kept calling out "Roo! Roo!" all day, so Willow named her Roo.
Once Roo was old enough, Willow told her of her history and how she found her. Roo was sad at first but she got over it soon, thankful at least that Willow found her. They had no background on her real mother, so she took up Willow's name as her last name. Though she is as happy as she could ever be, Roo sometimes still worries about her real mom and who she might have been.
Last edited by Sassafras on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:51 pm
Kaywiia says...

Name: Lucy Calloway

Instrument: Alto Saxaphone

Spoiler! :

Appearance: She's a tall, sassy looking lady with an unexplained preferance for fedora hats. She wears mostly white and black clothes, and likes to show a little skin. Her hair is long and is dyed almost white. She is fairly tall, at 5'7''. She is like the walking personification of Jazz music.

Spoiler! :

Personality: She's a real classy bitch, to put it bluntly. She doesn't like answering questions about herself personally, and loves to leave people guessing. She rarely gives a straight answer to anything, and loves annoying people with riddles. She's sophisticated and blasé, and acts like she's twenty five. She's very confident, and is shows. She swaggers when she walks, and has a slow sort of step. She's very descisive, and likes to have things her way. She tends to be a little overly formal with things. She has a huge supply of wit, and uses it frequently. She can be nice though, on a good day, when she feels like it.

Strengths: Of course she's an amazing Sax player. She's also a phenomenal singer and composer. She's also not half bad at tap dancing.

Weaknesses: She's very hard to like. She also gets on peoples nerves a lot. She's secretly always wanted to be a doctor, but her stage-mom forced her to play the Sax and sing.

Likes: Singing, playing the Sax, outwitting people, barbeque chips.

Dislikes: Her mother, french toast, squirells, when people ask if that's her real hair.

Other: She's not big on love, she actually doesn't believe in it.

History: Her father was a struggling musician. Her mother tried to make her singing dreams come true. She had a dughter that was a prodigy, and put her right to work. Though Lucy always insisted she wanted to be a doctor, her mom wouldn't hear it. Before long, Lucy walked, talked and sang Jazz style. She even began to believe the lie herself. Lucy's mom died of cancer before Lucy was given the scolarship. Her dad, however, was very proud of her.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:55 pm
Mazzi says...

Name: Emma Wells

Instrument: Tuba

Spoiler! :

Appearance:

Picture

Spoiler! :

Description

Emma has short (to the neck,) ginger hair with blonde highlights in, with the ends of the hair going slightly brown at the ends. Her skintone is a pale pink and goes even lighter in bright light, she also has light freckles that can't be seen in bright light. Her eyebrows are brown and her eyes are blue, with a light green tone. She also wears makeup, alot.

Personality: She is very playful, she can flirt alot without noticing it. This is very un-easy for most boys at times because they don't know if she's flirting with them on purpose, or not. But as soon as people get used her, they realize that she's more happy than flirty. So her been happy is often mistaked for her been flirty. When she does, get flirty on purpose, she is really flirty. Even brushing against a person or kissing them and been really surprised. Though this does all come natural to her. She can turn out to be your total bad girl, as in romanticaly. She can cheat on people and just go right out and kiss people. Or even sneak into there room and be on there bed.

She is normally a happy character who tries to keep everyone else happy aswell. But when she goes into a mood, she goes into a mood. She moans and groans and can change her look around just like that. Mostly black features. She can get intrested in darker characters if she's like that, she can be manipulated into evil easily.

Strengths: Happy. Strong. Socializes easily.

Weaknesses: Goes into moods easily, can turn dark if in a mood, can be a bad bad girl

Dislikes: Boredom and people who ignore her.

Other: Would like her to go evil-ish. Maybe.

History: Her parents are famous musicians. She stayed at The Academy of Music. She is currently studying the tuba as her main instrument. She has recently got the scholarship to Lyndaline Tripp's Musical University. She wanted to turn it down at first, but then she heard about all these special instruments, with magic! Also she thought the instrument of love might suit her, since of her flirty habits.
Last edited by Mazzi on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell the people Mazzi is here! To defend the defenseless! Befriend the friendless! And to defeat...the defeatless!

P.S and to love Lemurs!

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 pm
View Likes
fictionfanatic says...

Name: Dakotah Smith

Instrument: Bari Sax
Spoiler! :

Appearance:(Picture or Written)
Spoiler! :
If you can't tell, he has brown eyes. He's six feet tall. He always wears the bandana roll in his brown hair. He also wears a wooden cross which contains a small knife in it. And he's never ever seen without a golden locket on - it was his girlfriend's.Image

Personality: Dakotah someone who always has a smile on his face. He loves music, having a good time, and laughing. But he can get very serious when it comes to music. He's a little bit of a flirt and sometimes acts a little silly. Sometimes he can't control himself and he just comes right out and speaks his mind - he can be really blunt.

Strengths: Bari Sax, he's light on his feet (he's also a dancer), flexible, thinks fast

Weaknesses: Not that good at running, has a little trouble understanding english sometimes, and he has a weakness for little kids, people mentioning or asking about his girlfriend

Likes: Little kids, music, his Saxaphone, dancing, visiting his family in France

Dislikes: When people take his bluntness personally, when he can't understand what people are saying, when people can't understand him, the three microphones

Other: He has a thick French accent.
He has a daughter named Laila (who is staying with his parents while he is here)
Spoiler! :

History: Dakotah was born and raised in France. He lived there until he was ten and then him and his parents moved to America. Every summer he goes to visit the rest of his family in France. He started Saxaphone when he was four and never put it down.
About a year ago him and his girlfriend, Olivia, had a baby (oops). She died a month later when she was hit by a car. Dakotah beats himself up about it everyday. When he went to see her in the hospital, he was afraid someone would take her locket, so he took it and put it on. When she died her parents were looking everywhere for the locket, but he never told them he had it. The locket has a picture of Dakotah and Olivia on one side and a picture (the one above) of Laila on the other side.
Last edited by fictionfanatic on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Live, Love, Laugh

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:22 pm
MisunderstoodDreamer says...

I'll take a girl flute please. I was going to do oboe because that's what I actually do, but then I remembered that I really don't like oboe. If we end up needing someone for it, though, I can either switch or make a second character if you'd like.
I am a PUZZLE
yet to be put TOGETHER

But at the same time, I'm just one PIECE
still trying to figure out where I FIT IN

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:45 pm
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

Female Oboe please
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:59 am
Sassafras says...

We need guys, I might turn Roo into a guy if that will help.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

49 Reviews

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:44 am
View Likes
MilkNCookies says...

If you want to, that would be nice, but it isn't neccesary.

All new people must be MALE!!!!

~Dr.Seuss.

Random avatar

Reviews: 14
Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:17 am
bro says...

Name: Terza Rima

Instrument: Trumpet

Appearance: I have straight red hair, green eyes, and a palish complexion. I wear a purple cloak and black shorts. There is a blue amulet worn around my neck, and a golden ring with inscriptions on my right middle finger.

Personality: I am a quiet boy, although I can be rather bold, shocking those around me. I don't cry; I am beyond that. I do, however, smile, when fate turns my way.

Strengths: I am rather skilled at rock climbing, actually, and I'm stronger than I may appear to be. People also say I am a skilled writer/poet.

Weaknesses: There are strange markings all over my body, which I assume come from my beatings as a child. Luckily, they do not have any repercussions, it seems. Also, I can get irritated very easily.

Likes: I love the smell of this one flower that used to grow in my hometown all the time...but I can't recall the name. I also love playing chess, although I try not to use my abilities when playing. Being alone isn't too bad either...especially when I walk, I can get rather deep in thought.

Dislikes: I do not like people. Most my age are absolute fools. Just as I am an ousider to them, they are outsiders to me. But I try to fit in, day in, day out...

Other: Everything crucial about me, you will find out in time.

History: I wish to play the trumpet (and have gotten my hands on one more than a few times) because of the luxury it represents; a luxury I've never really known. It could change my life.

(got rid of supernatural powers and made my character more normal)
Last edited by bro on Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Reviews: 0
Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:41 am
EccentricityAside says...

Name: William Sylvester

Instrument: Trumpet, or any instrument you please if there's a lack of. :D

Appearance: Will is a slight boy. Svelte, even. Lean, though slightly muscular from playing on a soccer team, though not by choice. He's got gorgeous blonde hair that he's always kept buzzed but has decided to grow out once out of the view of his overwatchful father. Blue eyes, of course, in a icy, intense shade. Freckles are sprinkled abundantly across the bridge of his nose. Tallish at around 5"6 and a half, with large, capable hands from years in the woodshop. As for face, he has high brows and a long, sharp nose, relatively big for the size of his face. Though every other feature is average and actually attractive, his nose is the one thing about his appearence that bothers the heck out of him.
http://images.wikia.com/harrypotter/ima ... oy_PoA.jpg
YES. Draco Malfloy. I know, I know. Just imagine Daco with a different face and a better personality.

Personality: Fatally shy. He's always been the kid in the back of the room with a scarce few close friends. He's always hated that about himself, though, and this year he vows to try and be more outgoing. He has strong opinions, though he voices them rarely. A strict vegaterian - I beleive that tells alot about a person. :)You could say he's spoiled. Actually, I will say that he is, in fact, spoiled rotten. The only son of a rich enterpreuser, he has a lot of stress on him to put success in the family name and continue the family line. This causes him to panic often. More on that later. :) He's witty, with a sometimes sharp tounge. Secretly, hsi only wish is to be happy.

Strengths: Urm. The Trumpet. Yes, capitalized. Mathamatics, as well as what he thinks is poetry but is actually sappy, corny prose with rhyming. Look below for detail. Another strangth would be his stamina. He doesn't give up.

Weaknesses: Poetry. And he's very afraid of other people's opinions; extremely self-concious.

Dislikes: Cordoury. Ew.

Other: He's not exactly straight, hence the panic over inheriting the family line.

History: His father is a burly man with good intentions for his only son, but whom he throws on so much pressure and expectaions on him that Will feels like he can only disappoint. Will had been going to a private school before he transfered to the new music school thingy. Though his passion has always been music, his father disapproves highly of it, another example of him finding fault in everything Will does.

49 Reviews

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:57 pm
MilkNCookies says...

Bro, the really old thing was just for me because I'm one of the original ones. Please change it to 12-18, please.

By the way everyone? You have no Idea about these instruments or their magic. No abilities before them (Bro).

ONE MORE (male) SPOT!
Last edited by MilkNCookies on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

~Dr.Seuss.

You are strong enough to conquer this day and the rest of your life.
— Tuckster