z

Young Writers Society

The Commanding 5.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:45 pm
Mazzi says...

Emma Wells

I skipped down the stairs in my trendy school uniform look. My red striped tie straight up and my blazer on. Yep, smart is the new cool. I had a cold sausage roll for breakfast, honestly, how do I look this thin with what I eat?

Mum wasn't awake today, it was her birthday so I didn't want to disturb her. She deserves a lie in for all the stuff she does for me. The list was infinite. Cooking, washing, cleaning...I decided to check the mail since it is my mum's birthday I'll lay her cards out for her.

I went towards the front door, about seven pieces of mail were shoved through the letterbox. Probably by one of those ignorant paper boys. I flatten them out using my hand and put them on the settee in the living room. I start sorting them, 3...4...5 birthday cards. The two remaining letters were, what it looked to be a bill, I put that separately away from the cards, you could tell which ones were cards, most had pink envelopes. Mum didn't want a bill on her birthday. The last letter was, surprising, it wasn't a bill, neither a birthday card. It was an invitation addressed to me. It was probably one of my distant-friends wanting to come to their party. I had to keep up a social status. I opened it and I was surprised not to see lots of balloons or daisies. But a blank folded paper, I unfolded it and turned it round. It had a golden swirl border, very fancy. It clearly said:

Dear my wonderful student,

You are invited to take a orientation to Lyndaline Tripp's Musical University on a scholarship. I would like to speak to you about terms. This scholarship is fully covering your school expense. Food and other necessities are not included. Please come on the eighteenth of January- tomorrow.

Signed Lyndaline Tripp,
University Principle.

A scholarship?!? To a music university? I knew I was good at the Tuba, but I never expected to get a scholarship for it. I was happy, really chuffed. I shouted outloud, but didn't want to wake mum. Instead I wandered upstairs and gently put the scholarship in my mum's hand. I should start packing...

When I have all my things ready and organized. With my makeup on and my hair perfect, out of my school uniform, into my designer clothes. I soon heard the happy shouts of my mum and she cam running into my room shouting "You got a scholarship!"
Tell the people Mazzi is here! To defend the defenseless! Befriend the friendless! And to defeat...the defeatless!

P.S and to love Lemurs!

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:25 pm
DaSpetsnaz says...

Sorry, but I haven't had enough time to go on lately, and I can't keep up, so I'm dropping out. Sorry :(
"Is this the real life, or is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality."

-Queen

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:46 am
MilkNCookies says...

Hm...ok. I might be making a CPU typeof character for anyone to control. I'll post his profile.
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:33 am
Sassafras says...

Roo

I walked into the house, dragging behind me a too big purse full of papers, photographs, my flute, and anything else that I could fit in there. All the lights were on which meant Willow was home, and once I walked down the hallway and turned into the kitched, I was proved correct. Willow was sitting at the table, a messy ponytail atop her head, and a stack of papers on the small dinner table.
"Hey, mom." I knew she wasn't really my mom but it was easier to just address her as that.
"Evening, Roo baby." I went to sit beside her and picked up one of the envelopes addressed to me.
"I got mail?" She looked up towards me with a blank face before smiling widely.
"Oh yes! I read that already! You got a scholarship, babe." I stood up from my seat, the biggest grin in history on my face.
"Oh, that's great." Willow agreed before focusing her attention back on the papers.
"You leave tomorrow, I already packed your bags, hun." I sighed and shook my head before turning to go upstairs.
"Thanks, mom. Night."

Willow dropped me off at the campus early the next morning. I had my clothes, a few books of poems, a camera, and, of course, my flute. Because we were late as usual, I'd no time to indulge in the beauty of the college grounds. Music was coming from everywhere, it was like artist heaven. The people were so nice and some girl was even polite enough to show me the way to the office. When I got there, there we're already a few people waiting outside. I smiled shyly before taking a seat.
"Hello."
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:41 am
fictionfanatic says...

Dakotah:

I gave the girl a smile and replied with "Hello" trying to make my english clear.

"You're French?" She asked, a little shocked.

"Oui, I am. I lived in France for most of my life."

Chaning the topic, I asked "What instrument do you play?"

She gave a smile and said "I play flute. You?"

"I play the baritone saxaphone."
Live, Love, Laugh

Reviews: 0
Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:52 am
EccentricityAside says...

Will found himself at the doorsteps of the building after taking multiple buses across the state, all more crowded, loud and suffocating as the ones before. He'd be glad if he'll never have to ride a bus again.
First thing he saw was a pair of girls in deep conversation sitting by each other. One had long reddish-brown hair while th other had a halo of honey blonde-brown locks. He thought of giving them a wary smile, but stashed the idea away, deciding that if fate willedc them to be friends, then they would be friends.
Sitting a good few feet away, he tried to lose himself in thought for the time being, picking at his nails and glancing infrequently at the pair beside him.

49 Reviews

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:06 pm
MilkNCookies says...

Name: Holden Marsh.

Instrument: Clarinet

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Personality: In two words- ladies' man. He is ALWAYS flirting, but no one really pays attention to him. He never pays attention in classes and will be the one getting in the most trouble. he's also a heart breaker. He's also pompous and spoiled.

Strengths: Strong physically.

Weaknesses:Emotionally weak. He also can't handle massive change.

Dislikes: Boys, other instruments, Lyndaline.

Other: He is at the university already but wasn't a Player. He's going to become one with everyone else. Also, I'm not scontroling him. He's a character for everyone to control, like a dummy in the mix of people, just tossed around everywhere...

(translation- you control him, not me.)

History: his parents kicked him out when he was twelve. They didn't want a child. He ran away to this university. They treated him like family, except for Lyndaline. She could see how rotton he was. Either way, he began studing Clarinet.

Lyndaline Tripp (by the way, Lydaline's complex is like a mansion she transformed into an office. it has the same layout, though.)

"Jayden!" I hollered out. A servant rushed up to me. Since I was the last of the Commanding 5's original Players, I was in charge of everything here. "Status report." The tracking chip in the letters- probably a rather good idea, if I do say so myself.

"Will, Roo,and Dakota are here. Emma, Stephanie, and Lucy are still at home."

"Hmm. Already? They're early... but whatever. I'll be there in a minute- let them into the main room." I commanded. The servant nodded, and left the room.

now to find something to wear.

Arg, writer's block... =(

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:36 am
MisunderstoodDreamer says...

Stephanie

I took my time getting out of the car and saying goodbye to my parents. I was early...again. Thank goodness not the first this time, though. There were already a few people sitting around the yard of the university when we pulled up.

"Oh, I hope you have fun sweetie!" my mother said, holding back tears. I nodded. My father came to her side.

"Be safe," he said. "and stay focused on the music." he winked at me, and I knew he was telling my to stay away from boys. I couldn't help but laugh a little. They pulled me into a big hug. "We love you baby." he said.

"I know." I said, almost about to cry myself. They each gave me a kiss, than hopped back into the car. I blew another quick kiss and hugged myself tight, imagining them in my arms. I watched them return the action as they drove off and out of sight. Then, I turned around to face my future.

Deep breaths. I thought to myself. I couldn't help but feel a little nervous, even though I knew this was the most amazing thing that had ever happened to me. Looking around, I noticed a girl reaching into her bags and pulling out a flute case. Good. Find something in common. Though I seemed brave sometimes, it was always hard for me to meet new people. I finally build up the courage to walk over to her.

Start a conversation. "Hey." I said quietly. She looked up and smiled. Good, a friendly person!

"Hi." she replied. She scooted over on the bench she was sitting on and patted the space next to her. I took the seat timidly.

"So, you play the flute." I said. She nodded. "Me too!" She smiled. I could tell this was going to be way easier than I though, though I knew that I could only hope everyone would be as nice as she was.

---

Oh I hope this is okay. By the way, ReisePiecey, this is you...if you're okay with that! If I messed up and you're already in doing something else, then I can change it!
I am a PUZZLE
yet to be put TOGETHER

But at the same time, I'm just one PIECE
still trying to figure out where I FIT IN

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:34 pm
Mazzi says...

Emma Wells

It was a long drive, all I could think about was if there was any people playing the same instrument as me, it's a rare instrument to play, hope I wont get left out. I looked out the car window, I saw the many trees flash by me as we got deeper into the countryside. I hope the school is in the countryside. Cities are very crowded and I don't like too many people in one place.

After more trees and bushes, we finally came up to a great mansion, a few people were coming out of their cars, phew, I wasn't late. Mum pulled up and I gave her a kiss on the cheek and hugged her goodbye, a tear dropped down my cheek as I did so. It was a very tender moment between us, I've always gone to public school and came home every night, now I might only see mum on holidays.

I closed the car door and gave a wave goodbye and walked forward with a huge smile on my face and a confident walk, I was here.
Tell the people Mazzi is here! To defend the defenseless! Befriend the friendless! And to defeat...the defeatless!

P.S and to love Lemurs!

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:23 pm
Kaywiia says...

Lucy Calloway

The chauffer dropped me off in the front of the school. I pulled on a pair of shades and adjusted the brim of my fedora hat before stepping gingerly out of the car. The chauffer inside the black car raised his eyebrow and held out a hand, as if he dared expect money from me. Really, it would be more acceptable for him to pay me for being a good passenger. Quiet and repectful. Yet he dare demand money.

"As we discussed." I said coolly. My father had already payed for the arrangements, being too lazy to drive me here himself. The chauffer nodded, but didn't take his hand away. I knew what he wanted, but I wasn't about to give it to him.

"A tip would be apreciated." He said in a forcefully friendly way. His smile was crooked and off, in a way that suggested exactly how forced it was. He loathed me, I could tell. But he didn't have to worry, the feeling was mutual.

"And a silent ride would have been apreciated." I said, pulling my things ot of the trunk and shutting the door to the taxi. I took extra care with my Sax case, and didn't even place it on the ground. The driver just looked at me, baffled, and then shook his head and drove away.

I sighed, and looked towards Lyndaline Tripp's Musical University. From now on, I had one focus and one focus only.

Stake my claim on the music world.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:39 pm
Sassafras says...

Roo- Flute

I smiled up at the girl before placing my flute case, freshly polished for the occasion, on my lap. The girl took a seat next to me and did the same with her own, revealing it with a sparkling pride that I've learned to notice within all people who honestly loved their music, all music.

"I'm glad to see another flute player," I started. Upon realizing how small my voice sounded I made amental note to myself to at least speak a bit louder. "This is Dakotah." I frowned. This voulme made me feel as if I was screaming even though I couldn't be talking much louder than a whisper. "He plays the sax." Okay, Roo, enough with the vocal changes.

"Hello." I smiled a Kotah's stressed english.

"It's very nice to meet you," the girl beamed. "My name's Stephanie." She thrust out her hand and I took it lightly.

"Roo."

"Roo?" I blushed and looked down.

"Yeah." Three more girls entered, one of them looking especially mean but I had no desire to comment on it. I don't want any trouble, not this soon anyway. Who knows, I might need to make nice with these people later, making enemies would not be a benefit towards me. Once everyone that was probably going to come was in the waiting room, a man walked out of a door that I hadn't noticed before.

"You may enter." I jumped a bit at the voice but soon blushed with embarrasment and stood up, making sure to place my flute case safely back in my bag. I walked forward.
Last edited by Sassafras on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

84 Reviews

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:53 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Dakotah:

Three more girls walked in. Wow.

Four girls and two guys so far. Back in my old highschool, it was mostly the guys that played instruments. This is definitely going to be different.

The other guy looked kind of like a loner and not to friendly for some reason. I figured I'd leave him be now and talk to him later. Maybe he's just not comfortable here yet.

Walking over to the group of four girls, I said "Bonjour filles (Hello girls)." I greeted.

Continuing in my french accent filled, broken english, I said "So, think that you will like this, uh, what's the word, experience? No. Ah! This program. Oui, oui, program. You think you will like this program?" I asked the four of them, my french accent becoming thick within my confusion of words.
Live, Love, Laugh

49 Reviews

Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:32 pm
MilkNCookies says...

Lyndaline

"Announce me." I commanded. The butler walked into he room- everyone went silent. I couldn't hear his words. I looked myself up and down- tee shirt and jeans. I was trying to make it clear I was no better than them.

"Lyndaline Tripp, founder of Lyndaline Tripp's Musical University." He finished, purposely loud. I walked into the huge room, looking at each of the faces. They seemed to be unimpressed.

"As you know from my butler's speech, I am Lyndaline. You have been summoned today because you are to be inquired for a scholarship. Well, as much as I hate admitting this, I lied." I told them. I could see their eyes begin to panic. "Now, what I summoned you here for was much more important. The commanding 5 are five instruments that, when played correctly, preform magic. Now, they don't let just anyone play them. Recently, though, the 5's players have been 'dieing of natural causes'. I believe, though, they were murdered. Our enemies- who I think killed my fellows- expected me, out of rage, to try to kill them. I'm going to- but on my terms. Look at me, with the speech." I laughed to myself. Speeches- not my thing.

"You will be introduced to the Five. There is five instruments, but there are two of some- they are twins." I explained. "You are the best of the best. I'm going to introduce you to the instruments. Do not underestimate them. They have more power in a square inch then you have in your entire body. Do not handle them unless they tell you to."

"How will they tell us?" A girl asked. I think it was Lucy.

"Lucy, is it?" I asked with a smile. She nodded. "They can communicate mentally." Someone gasped- I couldn't identify the source. "They all have names, like you an me. The one I play- the euphonium-'s name is Drokkan. You have the option to opt out of this experience right now. It'll take cunning and daring, but it'll also give you a place with the legends."

I glanced around for their reply.

~Dr.Seuss.

84 Reviews

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:30 am
fictionfanatic says...

Dakota:

Having all of this information fed to me confused me, so when I talked it was a lot of broken english and took a while for meto get out "Wait, wait, wait. So, you speak magic things these, these magic, uh, instruments. Does mean we have, eh, what's word, uh, subconciously! subconciously been preparing for this our entire lives?"

"Indeed Dakotah."

"Je vois, merci (I see, thank you)."

After a brief moments hesitation I added, "Comptez sur moi! (Count me in!)"

I looked around at the others expectantly, a big grin on my face.
Live, Love, Laugh

Reviews: 0
Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:11 am
EccentricityAside says...

Will

Oh, my gosh. She was crazy. I'd left my entire life in the dust to join this school, and the principal was insane. Figures.
I hesistated and mulled it over in my head. Possibley this Lyndaline was speaking in a figural sense- yes, that was it. Sigh. Artistic types. So difficult to understand.
The headmistress and a girl exchanged a quick frenzy of french. The girl, nodding her head excitedly, seemed to be agreeing to something.

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you.
— Maya Angelou